PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X-Star vs X-1/2

rturley
02-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I have a general question, we are in the market for a new (to us) family ski boat. We wake board, Salomon and tube. My son and I are pretty heavy he is 200 and I'm 280. We have been Salomon Skiing all our life and in the last 5 years gotten into wake boarding. I found a nice 2008 X-Star with and MCX and was going to buy it this week, but when I was talking to a friend of mine he cautioned me against it saying the X-Star with the MCX was so heavy of a boat that it would take a long time to pull the two of us up on salomon skis. This is exactly the problem we have today and why we want a new boat so I don't want that. He suggested we buy a 2007-2009 X1 or X2, stating lot less weight and same HP. Does anyone have any real water experience that could shed light on this.

Thanks,
Robert

mccobmd
02-08-2011, 11:03 AM
It depends on the engine the x star has. I have experience behind the x1 and x2. The x1 with RTP and X2 with MCX. Either one of those two will pull you up faster than you can hold on. I weigh 190 and my X1 jerks me out of the water. If you are going to slalom either the X1 or X2 with the wake plate. I think even if the X-star got you up quickly you might not like the wake for slalom.

scott023
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
It depends on the engine the x star has. I have experience behind the x1 and x2. The x1 with RTP and X2 with MCX. Either one of those two will pull you up faster than you can hold on. I weigh 190 and my X1 jerks me out of the water. If you are going to slalom either the X1 or X2 with the wake plate. I think even if the X-star got you up quickly you might not like the wake for slalom.

Exactly right. I think if you care about the long term condition of your knees, you'll consider NOT buying an X-Star to ski behind. It's a great boat for wakeboarding and surfing behind, but slalom is certianly not it's strong suit. :twocents:

JohnE
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
You don't want XStar for Slalom. Either X1 or X2 would be better. X1 will have better wake than X2, but X2 has so much more room and better in rough water

duckguy
02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
you sir need a x-15 with a plate!

Ole Miss Rebels
02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
get the xstar and start wakeboarding all of the time. the xstar is such a nice boat. prop the mcx down with the oj 14.25 X 14.0 and you will have a beast.

KnoxX2
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
What about a 14V. It will do everything you listed and still has lots of room.

willyt
02-08-2011, 03:27 PM
So lets recap, we've gone from a star to a 1 or 2, to a 15 with a plate, to a 14V?

New thread title: Xstar vs X14v. Funny. COMPLETELY different boats.

BTW with the correct prop a star will not take long at all to get you out of the water on a ski if its unweighted. Issues are going to be you wont like the skiing behind the star, and if you prop down that far your top speed will really suffer.

I would think about your purchase more, there's alot more that'll go into it other than how quickly it'll pull you up on a ski. Personally, i'm a sold out wakeboarder and the Star/X25 is my dream boat.

mccobmd
02-08-2011, 06:01 PM
You don't want XStar for Slalom. Either X1 or X2 would be better. X1 will have better wake than X2, but X2 has so much more room and better in rough water

that would be my decision point, I have the luxury of going when the water is good with 5-6people so I have an X1, if I went with more people would probably have X15 (just like pointed boats better, Old school that way)

brucemac
02-08-2011, 06:31 PM
i would only add, and someone please correct me if i'm wrong, the x-star is not anywhere close to ideal for surfing.

Viktimize
02-08-2011, 08:07 PM
i would only add, and someone please correct me if i'm wrong, the x-star is not anywhere close to ideal for surfing.

I keep hearing different things. I've heard they suck for surf, and I've heard if you load them correctly they work fine. It was top boat on my list, but since I couldn't get a straight answer anywhere I just bought an X-35.

d36yzrider
02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure if they make a xstar with the powerslot that would be your best bet but for some lame reason they are getting rare on new mastercraft boats. I have skied behind several v drive boats and have never been impressed with the wake I'd say look into the 214 v

bcboy
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
I have had the pleasure of owning and skiing the X-1...X-2 and presently have the X-star.

The 1 and 2 had the MCX and had no problem at all pulling deep water starts with the X-1 being the better ski wake and board wake in my opinion....the x-2 was great for surfing and boarding and had lots more interior room.

The X-star is my favorite and is still ok to ski...not as good as the x-1.

I am 210 lbs and i have the 6 litre but cant see it having any trouble with the MCX because its not even working hard, and you would not have any ballast in to ski.

I do mostly board and surf now and would not give up my 08 X-star for any of the others because of the room in the interior.

I am very lucky and my good friend has a prostar 190 and we ski behind that but if he is not around I do ski the X-star.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

brucemac
02-08-2011, 11:43 PM
how would you compare the x-star wake to the x-1 and x-2 bcboy?

bcboy
02-08-2011, 11:55 PM
The X-1 wake is better for Skiing then the X-star....still good for boarding.
The X-2 is better for Surfing...not good for skiing....good for boarding.
The X-Star is Great for boarding...better then the x-2 for sking and OK for Surfing.
I guess thats why they make so many models...I have also owned a 19 skier and we all know what that was best for!!!
Its more the room and options that interest me now....They have all been awesome Boats.

brucemac
02-09-2011, 12:00 AM
lol, so sorry bcboy, i meant to say surf wake!

thanks though, you covered it!

bcboy
02-09-2011, 12:08 AM
No Problem,

It made me think back and remember how much fun i have had on all my boats!!!

Just what i needed to do after a long winter...cant wait to get back on the water.

The Surf Wake is OK when filled and the boys are in the Boat but not the best I have surfed.

Where about in the Pacific Northwest are you?

sand2snow22
02-09-2011, 02:30 AM
X-Star better than the X-2 for skiing? I know they both have big bumps, X-Star's looks bigger. I will reserve judgement until I get behind both myself....Thanks for the reviews! Helpful.

durcanchris
02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I heard there is a awesome looking 2006 X1 black w/ some cool graphics for sale on this forum!!! You should check it out :)

scott023
02-09-2011, 09:25 AM

I keep hearing different things. I've heard they suck for surf, and I've heard if you load them correctly they work fine. It was top boat on my list, but since I couldn't get a straight answer anywhere I just bought an X-35.

ICBW, but I'm pretty sure that when loaded right, the Star has a great surf wake.

duckguy
02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Or back to what I said, the 15 with the plate skis well, great surf wake and really nice wakeboard wake all with good room etc

H20BOY
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Or back to what I said, the 15 with the plate skis well, great surf wake and really nice wakeboard wake all with good room etc

I second this opinion.

brucemac
02-09-2011, 10:44 AM
No Problem,

It made me think back and remember how much fun i have had on all my boats!!!

Just what i needed to do after a long winter...cant wait to get back on the water.

The Surf Wake is OK when filled and the boys are in the Boat but not the best I have surfed.

Where about in the Pacific Northwest are you?

i'm in Issaquah, near lake Sammamish, how about you?

bcboy
02-09-2011, 10:47 AM
The Star has tracking fins and a much Flatter bottom than the X-2 which makes it better to ski in my opinion....the X-15 is a great boat but i have not skied it so i can't compare.

Debated a lot over the 15 and Star but went with the Star for the Bow and ladder and dont regret it because we use it a lot for floating and swimming.

bcboy
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
i'm in Issaquah, near lake Sammamish, how about you?

I am in Pitt Meadows B.C about a hour north of you....i went by Sammamish on Dec 4 and saw someone boarding...hope it was you...it was about 0 c and i remember pointing it out to my daughter and saying that is awesome!!!!

JohnE
02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
ICBW, but I'm pretty sure that when loaded right, the Star has a great surf wake.

I don't think it's as good as some of the others though. Never seen it in person though. Volfan has one and I think he told me it could be better for surfing.

duckguy
02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
The star is not great for surfing period, its ok. The star is a CORE wake boat and has a massive ski wake as a result

Jerseydave
02-09-2011, 08:42 PM
We use my X-star for surfing, the wave is short with a short "sweet spot" so you have to stay pretty close to the boat.

I've never skied on a slalom behind it (it has no pylon) but after owning a prostar 190 I figure what's the point? It would still be better than most I'O's for skiing but certainly not the best choice.

Mine has the MCX and with the correct prop (14.75 X 15.5) the holeshot is fine. My buddy is 250 and it pulls him barefoot (deep water start) just fine, hits 40-41 mph.

Rough water ride is really good, even better if you fill the KGB. I often have more than 6 people in it so it's nice to have the extra room.

willyt
02-09-2011, 11:26 PM
I've surfed a fully loaded star, as well as many other boats. Honestly, mattscraft 09 x2 with full ballast (the extra ballast) and I think we had 6 ppl put that day was the best surfing I've ever done. I'll second the star having a very short sweet spot.... Although you can make the surf wave massive. I'd like to know what the surf tabs do to the star since, I believe , the surf tabs are supposed to lengthen the sweet spot

bcboy
02-10-2011, 10:20 AM
The X-2 is the best i have surfed as well but i have not surfed the the Big X 45 or 55 yet.

The younger LIGHTER kids have no problem behind the X-star all day long but the heavier crowd

needs the bigger wake surfs.

I bought my Boat to board so the OK surf wake is a bonus!!!