PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell Houseboat Ownership

seth25
02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Looking at the possibility of buying into a houseboat at Powell. Went there twice last year, once just beach camped, second time we did a houseboat. Very good times and we'd like to do it again at least twice this year.

Anyone with a houseboat there have tips for a first time buyer? I'm wanting to start off fairly cheap, so older/smaller boats are fitting into my price range at this point. Looking for a boat in either Bullfrog or Halls Crossing.

Thanks

djkslc
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
We have 1/10th ownership in a houseboat kept at Bullfrog in the slips. Use it 3 - 4 times a year. I love that place. I have owned 3 different houseboats down there and have learned from some mistakes. I can help steer you in a direction if you want. Let me know and I can give you a call.

seth25
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the help, sent you a pm with my phone #

Double D
02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Part ownership in a houseboat? Never thought of that. Hey djkslc, what is the typical cost to own 1/10th of a houseboat?

TallRedRider
02-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Seth,

If you are willing to come to Wahweap, let me know. We have a share on a terrific older boat for cheap the first week of August.

seth25
02-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I am looking for a 1/10 share similar to what djkslc has. Most boats are 1/18 of a share, which only allows for 1 week, but the price is cheaper.

Price range is all over the board. I have seen old boats for $1500/share to tripple decker boats for $50k/share.

djkslc
02-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Part ownership is the way to go. We could only use it 4 times at best per year, and they are so dang expenseive to moor and maintain that a shared ownership is the only way for us to go.

As far as price goes for each share it is typically what ever the full boat value is divided by however many onwers. For the one I am currently in the boat is worth about 100K (1999 60 foot Sommerset) so I paid about 10K for my share. It costs about 27K a year to keep in the slip and properly upkept so each owner pays 2700 a year for the fees and insurance and upkeep.

As with any boat it is a money pit, but my kids have so many memories about our family trips to Powell that it is worth it.

Now it does suck if you have an owner that doesn't keep the boat the way everyone else does. Right now every one is on the same page, but we've had some bad owners in the past. The joy of shared ownerships.

seth25
02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Bullfrog or Halls is what we are looking at. We live in Denver and Bullfrog is 8 hrs away. The south end of the lake is a good 12 hours from us.

Thank you for the offer, but I will pass at this time.

Double D
02-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Part ownership is the way to go. We could only use it 4 times at best per year, and they are so dang expenseive to moor and maintain that a shared ownership is the only way for us to go.

As far as price goes for each share it is typically what ever the full boat value is divided by however many onwers. For the one I am currently in the boat is worth about 100K (1999 60 foot Sommerset) so I paid about 10K for my share. It costs about 27K a year to keep in the slip and properly upkept so each owner pays 2700 a year for the fees and insurance and upkeep.

As with any boat it is a money pit, but my kids have so many memories about our family trips to Powell that it is worth it.

Now it does suck if you have an owner that doesn't keep the boat the way everyone else does. Right now every one is on the same page, but we've had some bad owners in the past. The joy of shared ownerships.

Thanks djkslc, I appreciate the information.

h2oskifreak
02-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Quality partners is what you are looking for. A boat that has had good care regardless of age. Look for a partnership that has reserve funding in their dues. Repairs that are not delayed. Regardless of age of the houseboat upkeep is the key. Do your homework on how they schedule weeks, fees (ins. and bouys or slips are expensive). Really know what you are getting into. It is a great lake but just know what you are doing first.

gatorguy
02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I've heard that the number of partners in a boat is now limited to something like 12, were as before it was unlimitted. Any truth to that?

seth25
02-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I have been told that 18 is the maximum number of partners on a houseboat.

milkmania
02-08-2011, 04:23 PM
so, if someone it out & about
1) throws a rod through the block, everyone chips in to pay?
2) grinds the prop to a nub on a sandbar, everyone chips in to pay?
3) runs aground....
4) hits the dock....
etc, etc, etc

Is there a negligence clause in the contract?
It'd be tough forking over money for stupid people's mistakes :rolleyes:

edit:
and on the same hand, I wouldn't want someone else to have to pay for my mistakes

seth25
02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
We will see what some of the actual owners say, but I have been told that it is a wear item that breaks, it is paid for out the annual maintenance fund. However if you hit land, break a prop, etc. you pay for it yourself. I think that is also where insurance comes in if you run aground and do significant damage to the boat.

djkslc
02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
seth25 is correct

General maintenance is paid by all the owners (Up-keep, oil changes, mooring fees, insurance etc.) If an owner causes damage beyond that it is up to the owner to pay for the repairs.

TallRedRider
02-09-2011, 01:13 PM
On our houseboat, small things are simply part of your maintenance dues. Anything big is covered by insurance. I think our deductible is pretty low, IIRC, at $500.

Skipper
02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
First, have a lawyer check over the contract and confirm the validity of the company. I spent most of my life at Lake Powell and when buying partnerships into house boats was really popular there were a bunch of people that got conned out of a ton of money.

Find out how the boat is maintained. There are several companies that inspect, maintain, and repair partner boats. Others get nothing done to them until something breaks. The contract should detail who pays for maintenance.

There are some older boats that are very good and much cheaper than the new luxury tugs. If you can get a lot of use out of it or you just have a lot of coin then it would be a good way to go.

azskiking
02-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Seth, If you're willing to go to whaweep, reach out to TallRedRider. Good boat, great people.
You should begin by contacting the the company that all sales must be brokered through there on the lake. I think it's a branch of aramark. I think the canyons at the Bullfrog end of the lake are more impressive

gatorguy
03-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I was just offered the 2nd week of Aug (Sun-Sun) on a 56' boat out of a slip in wahweep for $5k. This price includes the $2500 yearly maintenance fee. There will be 14 owners. The week I'll be getting was an unused week that had been taken back from an old owner that got kicked out of the group for not fitting in or taking good care of the stuff. The reason they said they were selling this week and one other is to build up a maintenance fund. Currently they have about $3k in the bank. The boat had been well maintained by contract, and I trust the manager of the boat (he is a long time neighbor of my folks).

So I'm wondering if this seems like a good deal? Do the maintenance fees seem high? Anything specific I should ask about? I've been on friends boats, but never owned one, so any help would be great.

Oh, last bit of info is the neighbor managing the boat has an X30 in immaculate shape, so that I think says a lot.

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2011, 04:19 PM
If the boat manager has a MC he is by definition..............

admirable, batting a thousand, believeable, commendable, decent,

deserving, estimable, excellent, exemplary, honest, honorable, laudable, meritorious, not

too shabby, organic, palmary, reputable, reputed, respectable, salt of the earth ,

satisfactory, suitable, well-thought-of, worthy

cutlerdaddy
03-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Quality partners is what you are looking for. A boat that has had good care regardless of age. .

I own 1/16th share of a houseboat in a slip at Wahweep and h2oskifreak is 100% right. The key is to find the right partnership with owners that really work hard to keep the boat in good condition. On our boat we have a work weekend in May. If we choose to we can go down and spend the weekend cleaning and repairing minor things on the boat that wear down each year and in return we get a small discount on the yearly fee. Almost every owner shows up to put in their time. Good luck with the search and the way I look at it is that your not only investing in the boat but in the other owners.

gatorguy
03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I also found out that the boat I'm looking at had both engines replaced within the last couple of years, but the generator is still the original. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy into the group. I was mostly wanting to know what are the negatives that I would be overlooking since I'm so excited.

TallRedRider
03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I also found out that the boat I'm looking at had both engines replaced within the last couple of years, but the generator is still the original. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy into the group. I was mostly wanting to know what are the negatives that I would be overlooking since I'm so excited.

I could swear you are talking about my houseboat, except we also replaced the generator recently. You could also probably get into our boat at Wahweap a little cheaper. The first or second week of August is available. (I forget which one).

Great boat, great owners and we take care of stuff usually before they break.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/Lake%20Powell%206-09/IMG_8149.jpg

mtajpa
01-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Saw this on CL today.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/2799756507.html

Nutter281
01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I was just offered the 2nd week of Aug (Sun-Sun) on a 56' boat out of a slip in wahweep for $5k. This price includes the $2500 yearly maintenance fee. There will be 14 owners. The week I'll be getting was an unused week that had been taken back from an old owner that got kicked out of the group for not fitting in or taking good care of the stuff. The reason they said they were selling this week and one other is to build up a maintenance fund. Currently they have about $3k in the bank. The boat had been well maintained by contract, and I trust the manager of the boat (he is a long time neighbor of my folks).

So I'm wondering if this seems like a good deal? Do the maintenance fees seem high? Anything specific I should ask about? I've been on friends boats, but never owned one, so any help would be great.

Oh, last bit of info is the neighbor managing the boat has an X30 in immaculate shape, so that I think says a lot.

Hi Gatorguy,

I've also been looking into buying a share on a houseboat at powell. Next summer my family and I are renting a 59' Discovery out of Wahwep for ~$4k for a 5 day trip. Not sure if $5k/year for a 7-day rental (which is locked on dates) is an awesome deal. I expect the risk of part ownership (property damage, extenuating circumstances preventing use on selected dates, forced payment even if you can't go - lose job, family member breaks leg, etc.) to be compensated vs straight up choosing your preferred dates and renting a house boat.

Maybe I'm off though? Why else buy if you can rent for nearly the same annual price and choose your own dates on a yearly basis?

Austin

FrankSchwab
01-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Hey Austin -
We've rented the last three years up at Powell, and would strongly consider a share over the rental experience. Dealing with Aramark is OK, but not great - seems like you spend forever on launch day humping equipment down the hill, waiting in line in the office, waiting for someone to check you out, etc. There's a lot of hassle, and it's $5k / year.

With the share, it's a buy-in, and then a significantly lower cost per year - $1500 to $2000 based on what I've heard. Big difference for my budget. Plus, there are often more "little conveniences" on the share - toy tanks, solar, etc. At least, that's how I understand it; I'm interested in seeing the responses you get.

BTW, the Discovery is a very nice ride; the only real issue with it is that the "lower berths" are not as usable as they appear from the floorplan. One of the lower Queen beds is 50% covered by an overhang that makes it difficult to sleep on - the overhang ends up an inch from your nose if you're lying on your back. And, the air conditioning doesn't reach down there very well - take a fan.

seth25
01-18-2012, 05:07 PM
The price that Gatorguy was quoting is one time payment of $5k (which includes first year's maintenance dues). Price per year will be $2500. I bought into a boat and our yearly dues are $1500. Our boat is nicer than the rentals and quit a bit cheaper.

x-swagger
01-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I've been looking into a shared ownership myself, and have been searching CL relentlessly. My only problem is that for 2011 I only have the last two weeks of June free in my schedule to go.

If anyone knows any owners I could contact or any leads, help would be appreciated!!!

seth25
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
I've been looking into a shared ownership myself, and have been searching CL relentlessly. My only problem is that for 2011 I only have the last two weeks of June free in my schedule to go.

If anyone knows any owners I could contact or any leads, help would be appreciated!!!

Check out KSL.com. Classifieds-Boat timeshare.

This site is out of SLC, so lots of powell boats on there.

gatorguy
01-19-2012, 04:19 PM
So here's my update: I ended up buying a share on Sunsation, a year 2000 ~59ft boat. It is the 29th wk (2-3rd wk of July) I got it for a steal $1500 + maintenance fee of ~$2500 per yr. We went last year and had a blast. (Read about my trip here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43302 )

We have lost a few owners and are down to about 9 owners (all very responsible) and are trying to sell a few shares to bring it back to about 12. The boat is in great shape, and we didn't have any problems. We have a toy tank (an absolute must) and solar panels, with a few more panels being added this year.

The boat is older (2000), so if you're looking for bling this is not for you, but it is very solid with lots of upgrades, and will put you right in the middle of all the fun.

I was going to have to miss our trip this year due to a deployment to A-Stan, but I just found out my slot was canceled. So now I can't wait for Powell. And to make it even better, my birthday falls during our week. Now how's that for a birthday gift.

All in all, I'm still glad we bought instead of rented. One reason is it forces us to go. Otherwise we would find excuses to do something else, or even worse do nothing at all because we would be "too busy."

Contact me if you are interested in looking at a share in our boat. You must have prior houseboating experience, thus keeping out the riff-raff.

gatorguy
01-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Oh, here are the only outside photos I have. They are from 2006. The red is a little more faded now, but that is it.

FrankSchwab
01-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Got any links to the floorplan for that boat? How many staterooms? What weeks are available?

We've rented the last couple of years, but we're interested in owning for a change. This is exactly the kind of boat we were talking about - a few years old to knock a few bucks off the price, still in good shape, a reasonable size, good owners.

/frank

p.s. I can't PM you because your box is full.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Oh, here are the only outside photos I have. They are from 2006. The red is a little more faded now, but that is it.

Great photos.

gatorguy
01-20-2012, 01:40 AM
I don't have a floor plan, but will try to round up more inside pictures. Also I have forwarded this discussion to the boat manager (John). I also emptied out my PM box.

By the way Peter, those pictures are from John, and it's his X30.

gatorguy
01-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I just found some more pictures that the guy I bought from sent me. (Translation= the old dude and his wife frolicking in the water is not me.)

gatorguy
01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Here are a few more.