PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Boat Show

Shooter McKevin
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM
MasterCraft definitely stole the show at the Calgary Boat Show. They had by far the nicest display and probably the most boats (I think I remember about 15). This hasn't always been the case, you can definitely tell that they've shifted their marketing focus.

The highlight for me was that Jaret Llewellyn spent about half an hour checking out the MC's with me, chatting about boats, skiing, family, hockey etc. What an awesome guy. And what difference from the salesmen who usually approach you at the boat show. I think it's because he's a pro athlete and not a salesman so I didn't expect him to have all of the technical info.

(My wife gets pissed at me when I correct salesmen about boat specs, she thinks it's embarrassing... I think they should do more research.)

The batteries died in my camera so I was left with only the Iphone. Sorry about the poor picture quality. I didn't take a ton of photos because while I was touring around with Llewellyn I thought it would be a little rude. Then when we were done the family was getting a little anxious to move on. Anyone else find that the family gets tired of looking at boats long before you do?

If anyone else has any pics from Calgary please put them up.

My oldest in front of what may be my next boat (some day).

X2 interior

I spent most of my time in the X25. I definitely see why a lot of people on here are so jacked about it. It's really awesome. (The tower is not all the way up in this pic)

X14V interior. Llewellyn said he is considering it for when he's done competing. He hasn't skied it yet but his son went pretty deep into the course with it and liked it a lot.

Sweet X45. Like a lot of guys on TT, the power tower is growing on me, especially after seeing it in person.

craig3972
02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I got accosted by a very persistant and irritating malibu salesman (some guy direct from the factory). I think the guy bled "Mali-blood" lol!

Shooter McKevin
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Parks Star.
A thing of beauty. Power Tower definitely looks best in black on black.

Tower Down. I was surprised at how low it folds.

I had to get Llewellyn to show me how it works.
MasterCraft Power Tower Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-7o-eCPFsY)

Yes I did give it a good shake. It's pretty solid. A little bit of give but definitely no flexing of the deck. I had the trailer rocking pretty good and the deck wasn't bending. I didn't think to try to see how much reinforcing was underneath.

Shooter McKevin
02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I got accosted by a very persistant and irritating malibu salesman (some guy direct from the factory). I think the guy bled "Mali-blood" lol!

And you new more about Malibu's than he did?

Actually, MC had a few guys from the factory there and they were super knowledgeable. I'd imagine that the Bu guy knew his stuff?

Viktimize
02-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Geez, howcome you guys get your boat show so early?? Ours isn't until March.

CLTMC
02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Great looking display.. I like the Canadian Blue and White X-2 with the classic tower. The color scheme make the boat look longer.

dirtk38
02-07-2011, 09:32 PM
MasterCraft definitely stole the show at the Calgary Boat Show. They had by far the nicest display and probably the most boats (I think I remember about 15).

So jealous of all you guys that get the nice boat shows. My local dealer brought all of one MC to the Little Rock "boat show." One! They are nice guys though.

josepcedwards
02-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Parks Star.
A thing of beauty. Power Tower definitely looks best in black on black.

Tower Down. I was surprised at how low it folds.

I had to get Llewellyn to show me how it works.
MasterCraft Power Tower Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-7o-eCPFsY)

Yes I did give it a good shake. It's pretty solid. A little bit of give but definitely no flexing of the deck. I had the trailer rocking pretty good and the deck wasn't bending. I didn't think to try to see how much reinforcing was underneath.

I seen the PARKs boat at the Atlanta show.. and man do i love this boat!

craig3972
02-07-2011, 11:34 PM
the Malibu guy went on and on about why malibus are better than mastercrafts. I told him that my buddy and I both had mastercrafts and he just kept putting down our boats. Not a great way to win over potential customers. It was like being told that you are stupid and wasted your money on an MC - kinda walked away insulted.

josepcedwards
02-07-2011, 11:45 PM
the Malibu guy went on and on about why malibus are better than mastercrafts. I told him that my buddy and I both had mastercrafts and he just kept putting down our boats. Not a great way to win over potential customers. It was like being told that you are stupid and wasted your money on an MC - kinda walked away insulted.

That happen with us a few years ago with a guy from malibu.. The next year he was there working for MC... I reminded him of the thing he had said the year before. He was kinda speachless!

skierdan
02-08-2011, 02:28 AM
kicking myself that i didnt go to the show.... nice pics though, good to see another Calgarian aboard!

scott023
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Dang, that 45 is sweet. Might have to look into that.

ShawnB
02-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Like comparing BMW to Infiniti in my opinion. Both are powerful, luxurious, expensive. Both will get the job done when it comes down to it. One has a long tradition of excellence, the other is just a Nissan with lipstick on it. :D

ttu
02-08-2011, 11:48 AM

i had the supra/ moomba (new) dealer tell me the same thing at the tulsa boat show. i then went on to tell him that i owned a 02 moomba outback and then a 05 supra ssv22. i told him i like the boats but the fact that on both boats i had numerous gel coat cracks and on the supra i have hull blistering twice. they were both times repaired but the lack of a quality dealer in my state is what made me go to mc, plus i told him they are better built.;)

Shooter McKevin
02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Our Supra/Moomba dealer got bought out by a dealer who does Supreme and MB. Our MasterCraft dealer picked up the Supra/Moomba line. It seemed like a really strange move to me. I'd be curious to hear how their sales staff is trained to promote the different brands.

Viktimize
02-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Our Supra/Moomba dealer got bought out by a dealer who does Supreme and MB. Our MasterCraft dealer picked up the Supra/Moomba line. It seemed like a really strange move to me. I'd be curious to hear how their sales staff is trained to promote the different brands.

Well now they just don't have to mudsling on the other brands. They gain a way broader customer base.

scott023
02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Well now they just don't have to mudsling on the other brands. They gain a way broader customer base.

I agree 100%. They have all levels of boats in the showroom, so there's no need for the customer to go else where. If someone buys a Moomba and decides down the road to upgrade to the MC, they have already established a relationship with the dealer and are in a good position to trade in their first purchase on the MC. Seems like good business to me for both parties.

Shooter McKevin
02-08-2011, 12:25 PM
That's a good point.

Especially because MC doesn't have the "entry model" line like the others do.

Supra is not exactly entry level though. I would think before the changes the three dealers in Calgary were highly competitive. (Martin, Mobius, Hyperactive)

Shooter McKevin
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Are you saying you are a potential Malibu customer:huh:

rgardjr1
02-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I wish I would've taken a picture of the sign that Washington Watersports had at the Spokane boat show this year. They are a Mastercraft dealer that picked up Supra/Moomba and Centurion last year. The sign the had at their booth had all their brands listed in order from top down. The list went Mastercraft, Supra, Centurion and Moomba. They were making the case that they had a boat for every budget. I wonder what their list would look like if they picked up CC and Bu too ...

scott023
02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
I wish I would've taken a picture of the sign that Washington Watersports had at the Spokane boat show this year. They are a Mastercraft dealer that picked up Supra/Moomba and Centurion last year. The sign the had at their booth had all their brands listed in order from top down. The list went Mastercraft, Supra, Centurion and Moomba. They were making the case that they had a boat for every budget. I wonder what their list would look like if they picked up CC and Bu too ...

In that order right after MC...

craig3972
02-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Are you saying you are a potential Malibu customer:huh:

I am a guy who buys boats, so in the salesmans mind - Yes

TX.X-30 fan
02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I can't see how a dealer in this market could survive with just 1 brand, car dealerships don't do it much anymore.

JohnE
02-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I can't see how a dealer in this market could survive with just 1 brand, car dealerships don't do it much anymore.

I agree. But I know that in the past (maybe now too) MC did not want their dealers to also sell Malibu. I know the bu dealer here had the chance to take on MC if he dropped 'bu back in 06 ish. He didn't and I've heard is regretting it. Maybe they have changed, or maybe the moomba customer isn't choosing between a new mc vs. moomba.

scott023
02-09-2011, 09:15 AM

That's right, you've got to expand your selling borders to capture as much clientele as possible.

Shooter McKevin
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
That's right, you've got to expand your selling borders to capture as much clientele as possible.

Is that why they do John Deere Agriculture as well? (Is Martin in Edmonton your dealer?)

scott023
02-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Is that why they do John Deere Agriculture as well? (Is Martin in Edmonton your dealer?)

Yes, they are. They were a JD dealer LONG before they got into the motorsports business. Not sure that there's a tie in there, except maybe MC's being tractors on water.... :D

medicmoose
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow...there must be a link in there somewhere. My dealer located in Winnipeg also started as a JD and agri dealer before getting into MC's. It that natural progression?? Maybe I need to buy the farm.

mccobmd
02-09-2011, 03:50 PM

My MC dealer picked up Moomba also. He said it gets tweeners out of I/o's and a fair number come back and trade into a MC once they have had and inboard.

JulioX2
02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
My MC dealer picked up Moomba also. He said it gets tweeners out of I/o's and a fair number come back and trade into a MC once they have had and inboard.

It's a good move on their part. When I was shopping for a boat, initially I was looking into an entry level Moomba. But after seeing the Moombas, Supras and Mastercraft side by side I had to go with a Mastercraft. Comparing them right there was great, you could see the differences in manufacturers.

mccobmd
02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
That's what he said. People that want the cheapest never look past the moomba, people that want quality and value compare the two and often go with the mastercraft. He says the moomba's are good for a while, but not for long and drop their value like a rock.

Shooter McKevin
02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I found a couple good non MC photos on my phone.

craig3972
02-11-2011, 12:47 PM
The black things on the side of the vector extend outward from the boat like wings to provide stability at high speed. I think it had twin superchargered engines totaling 1200hp. claimed top speed of 130mph. Had like 9 bucket seats in the interior.