PDA

View Full Version : upholstery removal 1999 pstar 205... lessons learned

jwskier
02-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I just finished taking all my cushions out (sending them up to Jim "the upholstery guy", I'll let you know how they come out.

Wanted to post a quick how to incase someone else needs to do this. I can save you some time

You'll Need 7/16 wrench... ratcheting one will make job eaiser. The Side panels bolts can all be reached from under the side wall... they come off easy. The Rear seat bolts are accessed from storage locker. The Passenger seat is straightforward, but you'll want it off to make room to get to the front seat backs.

Bow seat backs are a little trickier and are accessed from 2 spots. Follow these instructions

1. Get under the passenger seat storage area. There are three bolts/nuts protruding from the front. Remove the nuts. (the bolts may come off as well, this is okay)

2. Next reach between the seat back and the hull and remove the first bolt/nut you come to.

3. Next remove the partition that is under the drivers seat, you'll want to unscrew the control panel on the wall. Once that is out, you can access the same 4 bolts you removed on the passenger side.

4. Remove the front speakers (if you have a stereo)

5. Once the speaker is out, you can reach your arm in and remove all the bolts you can reach, both fore and aft. This should get all but One bolt.

6. You should now be able to pull the panel away from the sidewall enough to reveal a secondary hole cut in front of the speaker hole. While holding the panel away from the wall, reach your arm in and you should be able to reach the front bolt.

7. You can now remove the side panel.

8. Next reach in the forward hole and you should be able to access 2 of the nose pad bolts and remove them.

9. Repeat on the other side, removing the other 2 nose pad bolts.

10. The last bolt is a pain.. It's at the top of the nose pad, and I could barely get my wrench around it... not sure how I'm going to get it back on.

Anyway, thought this may be helpful.

atlfootr
02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Sit back, relax your seats are in the best of hands! :D
Jim will make them better than factory ...
He did mine, I know.

SDProstar
03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Any pictures yet???

Although I have not posted much on this site, I check in at least twice a week. This is an unbelievable source for knowledge, advice, encouragement, and laughs.

I, too, called Jim Friant (865.679.2246) and discussed my interior re-do. Nice guy and very knowledgeable. I’m not quite ready to pull the trigger on the interior as I’m in the middle of replacing my engine. Interior is next. However, his price seemed very fair and I’ll start saving up now so I can replace our upholstery next winter.

Mine is a ’91 Prostar. He has the pattern in stock – all he needs from me are some photos so he can get the colors right.

Hope to see your pictures soon, jwskier...

Chris

BriEOD
03-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I'll be interested to see how soon you get these back. I had Jim do a about 12 pieces for me a couple of years ago. While he was definitely very kind and upfront that he works slowly, it took over 4 months when I was told it would take 1-2 months. I sent my skins in early February, and was calling him in a panic the week before Memorial Day--he hadn't started on the pieces yet. Once they arrived, two of them did not fit, and I had sent him the original pieces--I wrapped my cushions in beach towels so I could go out. I know a lot of people have been very happy with his work, and once I got all of the correct pieces and installed them it has been fine. However, in the future, I might explore other options as I certainly wasn't 100% satisfied with this transaction. Hopefully, I'm just an isolated case.

east tx skier
03-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi, Brian. I remember that story well from the first time I heard it. :o

BriEOD
03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi, Brian. I remember that story well from the first time I heard it. :o

Good Evening Doug,

Funny, as I was typing out that response I was thinking of you and our discussion about viable alternatives. Hope all is well with you and the rest of A--s Clan.

east tx skier
03-14-2011, 09:09 PM
We're doing well. Called you a while back, but no idea if that number is still good.

jwskier
03-16-2011, 11:55 PM
The first part of the skins are in the mail now. I should get them by Friday. I'll post once I start installing. The timing has been slower than I would have liked. It's taken about 6 weeks to get them done. Jim's been very nice, and his price is extremely reasonable, assuming the quality is as advertised.