PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on....

airdrew99
02-05-2011, 11:10 PM
I have a 2004 Honda Accord V6 and a 2000 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke. Both vehicles had problems with the serpentine belt squeaking, so I changed them on both vehicles. I didn't use the cheap belts, one of them is the Gator brand belt. After about 4-6 months, my truck belt started squeaking again. Then a few months later, the car belt did the same. I've tried Belt Dressing (which made it worse). I believe Belt Dressing is mainly for V-belts. I tried a belt "soap" bar and it didn't help. The only thing I found that will last about a month is using Armor All. I spray the belt with the engine off (on the grooved side), then start the vehicle to spread the Armor All. I'm tempted to use some graphite dry film lube to see if it will last longer. What do you guys think about that? Does anyone have a tricks that work on their vehicles? All the pulleys look good. I know it can't be a bearing problem, because just a small amount of Armor All will instantly quiet the belt noise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

east tx skier
02-05-2011, 11:19 PM
From what I've been told, at least as far as the Honda goes, they are going to squeal on startup a little, especially when it's cold. Does your stop once the engine is running? If so, that's just the way it goes. If it is more constant, I'm not sure what to tell you other than that the tensioner might need some work, i.e., replacing.

airdrew99
02-05-2011, 11:27 PM
East,
It is not just on start up. I will do it on both vehicles, even after driving for an hour. It is a constant squeak (when it is making noise), not a chirp chirp. The Armor All does great, but I just want something that lasts a little longer than a month. Sometimes a very wet day will cause it to do make noise also. I will look at the tensioners. Take care.

Drew

Jerseydave
02-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Belt squeak causes:

Rusted pulleys
Pulleys not lined up
Loose belt, weak tensioner
Worn belt

I believe most car companies don't recommend belt dressing or armour-all.

JimN
02-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I have a 2004 Honda Accord V6 and a 2000 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke. Both vehicles had problems with the serpentine belt squeaking, so I changed them on both vehicles. I didn't use the cheap belts, one of them is the Gator brand belt. After about 4-6 months, my truck belt started squeaking again. Then a few months later, the car belt did the same. I've tried Belt Dressing (which made it worse). I believe Belt Dressing is mainly for V-belts. I tried a belt "soap" bar and it didn't help. The only thing I found that will last about a month is using Armor All. I spray the belt with the engine off (on the grooved side), then start the vehicle to spread the Armor All. I'm tempted to use some graphite dry film lube to see if it will last longer. What do you guys think about that? Does anyone have a tricks that work on their vehicles? All the pulleys look good. I know it can't be a bearing problem, because just a small amount of Armor All will instantly quiet the belt noise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

How old are the batteries? Do you need to crank excessively when you start either one? If the battery discharges while the vehicle sits, you need to crank longer to start it or it doesn't charge fully because it's old, the battery will present added load to the alternator and that causes more resistance to the belt driving the armature. That glazes the belt and it will squeal sooner than if the battery isn't discharging so deeply.

airdrew99
02-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Both vehicles crank right up. My truck has 2 batteries that are less than 2 years old. All of the pulleys are clean, rust-free, and aligned properly.

JimN
02-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Both vehicles crank right up. My truck has 2 batteries that are less than 2 years old. All of the pulleys are clean, rust-free, and aligned properly.

Have the batteries gone totally dead? If so, how many times?

Thrall
02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Had the same problem on an 01 Ram 1500. I replaced the belt, the tensioner was good, etc.
A little squirt of WD40 would work for a couple months at a time. Still don't know what the problem was. Sold it with 125k mi and it had never chewed up a belt.

airdrew99
02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
No, neither vehicle has had batteries go dead. The Accord gets driven about 45 minutes twice a day, 5 days a week. The squeaking is not very loud on either vehicle. I believe that the pulleys are worn down causing the pulleys to become sharpened. This is causing the belt to wedge further into the pulley and squeak when it comes out.

airdrew99
02-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Had the same problem on an 01 Ram 1500. I replaced the belt, the tensioner was good, etc.
A little squirt of WD40 would work for a couple months at a time. Still don't know what the problem was. Sold it with 125k mi and it had never chewed up a belt.

How many miles did you have on the '01 RAM?