PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Perfect Pass

blorr
02-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey guys!
I have a '91 ProStar and am wanting to install a PP. I know almost nothing about these. I have few questions. I'm looking to buy a unit which is used, so I need to figure a few things out on my own.

I assume I have a non-DBW engine. It is carbed. Correct?

What is Stargazer? Do I need this?

What all parts do I need? I see different parts for sale and can't figure out exactly what all I will need.

Is this something I will be able to install myself?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

east tx skier
02-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Hey guys!
I have a '91 ProStar and am wanting to install a PP. I know almost nothing about these. I have few questions. I'm looking to buy a unit which is used, so I need to figure a few things out on my own.

I assume I have a non-DBW engine. It is carbed. Correct?

What is Stargazer? Do I need this?

What all parts do I need? I see different parts for sale and can't figure out exactly what all I will need.

Is this something I will be able to install myself?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Yes, you have a non, DBW, carbed engine.

It is a GPS speed control system. It will cost more and is less likely to be picked up used, but is worth buying IMO unless you are using your boat primarily on a river where GPS is not a good measure of speed over water. The older systems are fine and some people even prefer them. If you get a digital pro or wakeboard pro system, you can always upgrade to SG. One advantage of SG is that you don't have to drill a hole for the paddle wheel speedometer anymore.

Yes, depending on how mechanically inclined you are. Running the wiring through the bilge can be a little tricky, but the install is fairly straightforward.

Skipper
02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
A lot of folks that upgraded to Stargazer might be willing to part with their old control modules for a good price. You need the servo to control the throttle, the thru hull paddle wheel (debatable), and a display. If the control module is 6.5ng you need the three line display. If not, the old one line display works. It costs about $1500 for a Perfect Pass system. You should be able to pick up the components for about $500.

blorr
02-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys! I don't think I need the Stargazer.
so if anyone out there has some old stuff to sell me, let me know!!

Thanks!

east tx skier
02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Keep an eye out for them here (http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Speed_Ctrl). Generally your best bet for the used stuff.