PDA

View Full Version : SS Trailer Keep it or Ditch it?

Blouder
02-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Is there any reason to keep the original trailer to my Stars and Stripes? I don't really like single axle trailers and I have a dual axle v-drive trailer that tows better. Mine SS tailer is galvanized and is a lighter but it just doesn't tow as well. But I would hate to part with it and then find out I made a mistake because it lowered the value or something.

Thanks
Bill

josepcedwards
02-03-2011, 04:02 PM
I want it!

Blouder
02-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Thats a long haul, I'm Sacramento CA, plus its not not sparkle brown, you'd have to paint it to match :)

rjracin240
02-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Is there any reason to keep the original trailer to my Stars and Stripes? I don't really like single axle trailers and I have a dual axle v-drive trailer that tows better. Mine SS tailer is galvanized and is a lighter but it just doesn't tow as well. But I would hate to part with it and then find out I made a mistake because it lowered the value or something.

Thanks
Bill

Pictures of trailer would be helpful!

mayo93prostar
02-03-2011, 07:29 PM
be carefull. I think the axle location is different for v drive than direct drive, i.e. your tongue weight may be way off by changing trailer. the direct drive boat has weight farther forward than a v drive boat. pics would be nice. lwhat year stars and stripes? most people that would buy a classic like the stars and stripes would prefer the original trailer, in my opinion.

Blouder
02-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I said v-drive and I meant direct drive. Thanks for pointing that out. My stars n stripes is a 1981. There's nothing wrong with either trailer. Both are in good shape. I just don't want to potentially devalue the package.

Here's pics http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39499

I don't have any of the tandem trailer right now.

josepcedwards
02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Thats a long haul, I'm Sacramento CA, plus its not not sparkle brown, you'd have to paint it to match :)

HAHAHA good point!

1985 Skiier
02-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Get the tandem, It was an option, at least it was in 85. It lt tows better looks better and can save our &%$ if you have bearing trouble. The only downside is manuvering by hand in the garage to get it in the corner; You will need some rolling jacks:) and when you need to buy four tires. http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee443/Masrtercraft/DSCN0122.jpg

Blouder
02-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Get the tandem, It was an option, at least it was in 85. It lt tows better looks better and can save our &%$ if you have bearing trouble. The only downside is manuvering by hand in the garage to get it in the corner; You will need some rolling jacks:) and when you need to buy four tires. http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee443/Masrtercraft/DSCN0122.jpg

Thats sharp!

1985 Skiier
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks, I may be adding some blue Mastercraft decals and possible stars from Jim's originals he just scored. I was thinking about painting the trailer blue and doing the matching decals. Any suggestions?

scott023
02-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks, I may be adding some blue Mastercraft decals and possible stars from Jim's originals he just scored. I was thinking about painting the trailer blue and doing the matching decals. Any suggestions?

That would be sweet.

SunCoast 83
02-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Keep the original trailer. Both boat and trailer are made to compliment each other. Mine was in far shape when I bought the boat in 2004.

In 2006 I had the trailer sandblasted and repainted, replaced the wheels, carpet, wiring, hardware and polished the fenders.

The trailer is garaged so it still looks new.

josepcedwards
02-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Im taking my S&S to lake in the morning.... can someone give me a heads up on how to use the bar on the front. It looks a little different from the BOAT BUDDY im used too.

03geetee
02-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Here is the best advice I can give you. Before you launch the boat put some slack in the winch line and release the hook so you can lower the bar. Then reattach your winch line and put a little tension back on it. Lower her in the water slowly and release your winch line when ready.

Pay attention when you unload the boat as to how far it needs to sit on the rear bunks to line up with your tow bar. So when you load the boat get her as close as you can, dont be discouraged if you cannot get it to line up, sometimes it wont happen. Just hook your winch line up and leave the bar down pull the boat out carefully and get it on level or downward facing ground. Pull forward and give her a quick brake and that is usually all it takes for mine to nudge forward enough to be able to hook in the bar. Hook it in, then reattach your winch line and snug it up.

Hope the helps.

JTR

josepcedwards
02-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Here is the best advice I can give you. Before you launch the boat put some slack in the winch line and release the hook so you can lower the bar. Then reattach your winch line and put a little tension back on it. Lower her in the water slowly and release your winch line when ready.

Pay attention when you unload the boat as to how far it needs to sit on the rear bunks to line up with your tow bar. So when you load the boat get her as close as you can, dont be discouraged if you cannot get it to line up, sometimes it wont happen. Just hook your winch line up and leave the bar down pull the boat out carefully and get it on level or downward facing ground. Pull forward and give her a quick brake and that is usually all it takes for mine to nudge forward enough to be able to hook in the bar. Hook it in, then reattach your winch line and snug it up.

Hope the helps.

JTR

Thank you! I feel better about it!

Jeff75MC
02-13-2011, 09:28 PM
That would be sweet.
did mine....
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz60/Jeffro1980/100_0750.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz60/Jeffro1980/insidefender.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz60/Jeffro1980/trailerdonealmost.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Nice work on the trailer, but not digging the bow stop rollers. Thinking they will leave black marks. The blue is smokin' hot!

Jeff75MC
02-15-2011, 12:17 PM
well *$#& Any ideas??

thatsmrmastercraft
02-15-2011, 01:44 PM
A PVC bow roller assembly from Cabelas could be fashioned to work and wouldn't leave any marks. More radical would be a carpeted V-block. The picture of my trailer doesn't show it very well, but similar to the lower V-block from a new trailer. Just my :twocents: didn't mean to bring your blood pressure up.