PDA

View Full Version : Sport Trailer

stelldr
02-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I am looking at a new X-14V but the Mastercraft traler is a single. I'd really prefer a tandem trailer so my dealer has offered to replace the trailer with a "Sport Trailer" manufactured by Mastercraft. I searched the Mastercraft web site and can't find anything on the trailer being offered. Do any of you know anything about the Sport trailers? The dealer is going to send me a pic. Thanks

ddanenberger
02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
our dealer indicated the primary difference is:

painted steel fenders instead of fiberglass- which I liked due to possible damage if a tire blowout.

oil bath bearings do not have a clear glass to view- kind of a pain but it seems reliable has issues with the clear covers- at least on this site.

different wheels - both aluminum- sport has holes around the circumference - standard has spokes.

there is a significant price difference. We went with the sport option on opur new '11 x25. a couple grand is a couple grand. I am more of a function guy anyway.

Others have said if you spend that much what is a couple K more. For me it meant a heater and heated seats.

scott023
02-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Not sure on the ''sport trailer'', but MC did offer a 'low profile trailer' option. Had SS fenders and upgraded rims and tires.

gchapman-tt
02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Also... Open Winch vs Encased Winch and Bow Roller vs Boat Buddy.

ddanenberger
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
these are the three wheels as of December when I was at the plant. Chrome spoke is the low profile option, Alum. spoke standard trailer, plain alum wheel is sport option.

Sodar
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Just make sure he is not talking about a Sport Boat Trailer (SBT). Sportboat trailers are NOT made by MC. Most of the NW MC dealers use them, but like I said, they are not an MC trailer. I cannot comment on quality or ease of use, though.

scott023
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
these are the three wheels as of December when I was at the plant. Chrome spoke is the low profile option, Alum. spoke standard trailer, plain alum wheel is sport option.

I haven't seen those plain alum spoke wheels on any new boats for years...

Sodar
02-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Wow, they are stepping back about 10 years on those!

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=64178&stc=1&d=1296759805

scott023
02-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Wow, they are stepping back about 10 years on those!

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=64178&stc=1&d=1296759805

No doubt about that.

sand2snow22
02-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Not sure on the ''sport trailer'', but MC did offer a 'low profile trailer' option. Had SS fenders and upgraded rims and tires.

You gotta catch up. IIRC MC is offering 3 trailers now. Base with metal fenders, one with fiberglass fenders, and the low pro......

ddanenberger
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I assumed he was looking at the deduct dealers have for the "sport trailer" option when ordering a boat from MC.

As far as the rims, your looking at current stock. The photos are from the trailer fab area at MC. Again as of Demcember.

scott023
02-03-2011, 02:14 PM
You gotta catch up. IIRC MC is offering 3 trailers now. Base with metal fenders, one with fiberglass fenders, and the low pro......

Apparently... the boats I look at on the site only have an option for two trailers. Perhaps the one isn't available on the bigger boats?

sand2snow22
02-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Apparently... the boats I looks at

You got problems big balla :D

I looks at..... :) lol

scott023
02-03-2011, 02:18 PM
You got problems big balla :D

I looks at..... :) lol

Dang typos. I am a poor typer, but a proof read would go a long ways.... :D

ddanenberger
02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
they don't discuss the sport option...less expensive, we saw it on the buildout when orderig the boat and our dealer discussed the differences. Our dealer took us to the factory and were were able to discuss the trailers directly with the builders. They have a nice fab shop.

To me a trailer is a trailer, but to others it has to be a statement. For us it was a easy decision. More boat or more trailer... we picked more boat.

stelldr
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks a lot everyone for the quick helpful information.

flipper
02-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Just make sure he is not talking about a Sport Boat Trailer (SBT). Sportboat trailers are NOT made by MC. Most of the NW MC dealers use them, but like I said, they are not an MC trailer. I cannot comment on quality or ease of use, though.
I have one and the quality is excellent. I love my trailer. Well built, clean looking, and never had a problem loading or unloading.

milkmania
02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
amazon's got these
I emailed them, because ad says 6 lug, but image shows 5 lug...... no answer

brucemac
02-03-2011, 03:13 PM

+1. imo you don't want one of these SBT trailers. they've stopped selling them here since cope went away and are now using 100% MC trailers i'm pretty sure. i think they were doing it to make additional margin as it's obviously more money to bring the MC trailers from Vonroe then it was to pull up the SBT's from CA.

brucemac
02-03-2011, 03:18 PM
amazon's got these
I emailed them, because ad says 6 lug, but image shows 5 lug...... no answer

it's 6-lug. he doesn't have any of the 5-lug in alum or chrome anymore. shame too, i was wanting to buy the 14in chrome for my trailer, but he ran out.

if you contact the guy directly, he'll give you a little better deal by the way.

he has an ebay store too

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mastercraft+wheel&_sacat=See-All-Categories

milkmania
02-03-2011, 03:46 PM
it's 6-lug. he doesn't have any of the 5-lug in alum or chrome anymore. shame too, i was wanting to buy the 14in chrome for my trailer, but he ran out.

if you contact the guy directly, he'll give you a little better deal by the way.

he has an ebay store too

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=mastercraft+wheel&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I'm in the same boat http://www.therideinstyle.com/rimshot.gif

from his ebay ad
This is an auction for Brand New MasterCraft OEM Trailer Wheels. This is a special blowout deal resulting from the remaining inventory from a pattern change by MasterCraft three years ago. Please note that the wheel pictured is a 14" 5 lug wheel - this listing is for the same wheel in a 15" size with 6 lugs (6-5.5). These wheels are brand new, never mounted and have the MasterCraft logo diecast into the wheel. Search the web and if you can find them, the asking price is over $350.00. Not here, we have 15" MasterCraft OEM Wheels in aluminum and chrome ranging from $75-$129 per wheel. I'm sorry if you are looking for 14" aluminum MasterCraft Wheels (5-4.5) - we have sold out the remaining stock of these wheels. Great replacement wheels for your MasterCraft trailer or can be used to dress up any other recreational, utility, marine, cargo, livestock and equipment trailers.

Willski
02-03-2011, 03:49 PM
No doubt about that.

Yep my parents had these wheels on the trailer for our 1986 Celebrity. They were cutting edge then!

scott023
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Yep my parents had these wheels on the trailer for our 1986 Celebrity. They were cutting edge then!

You were wheeling the ladies in that bad boy I bet... :D:D:D

milkmania
02-03-2011, 03:51 PM

"Old School" is very popular;)

CLTMC
02-03-2011, 05:24 PM
The MasterCraft Sport Trailer Option is price point MC trailer.
-Tongue does not fold
-Bow roller
-Open faced winch
-Steel fenders
-Basic aluminum wheels

MattsCraft
02-03-2011, 05:52 PM
I think it is a nice option to save some cash, I love the Low Pro, but if I was keeping the boat on a lift etc., nice option. What is the MSRP difference?

The last picture, looks like the the rims have the "see thru" sight window for the oil baths.

CLTMC
02-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I think it is a nice option to save some cash, I love the Low Pro, but if I was keeping the boat on a lift etc., nice option. What is the MSRP difference?

The last picture, looks like the the rims have the "see thru" sight window for the oil baths.

2011 MS200 TA MSRP $7,330
2011 MS200 TA Sport MSRP $5,610

flipper
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
+1. imo you don't want one of these SBT trailers. they've stopped selling them here since cope went away and are now using 100% MC trailers i'm pretty sure. i think they were doing it to make additional margin as it's obviously more money to bring the MC trailers from Vonroe then it was to pull up the SBT's from CA.
You wouldn't want an arguably better built trailer for less money????

brucemac
02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
you win. ;)

sully
02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
You can order the boat without a trailer and get your own. That's what I did in 09. I'm not that impressed with Mastercraft trailers. Boatmate and Phoenix both make comparable trailers for less. I went with Phoenix and saved quite a bit and I think the boat sits better on the Phoenix trailer then the Mastercraft trailer.
Just my two cents.

milkmania
02-03-2011, 07:28 PM
2011 MS200 TA MSRP $7,330
2011 MS200 TA Sport MSRP $5,610

wait a minute.....

you're talking about a BOAT TRAILER?!?!?!?!?!?

that's wack!!!!!!

Eric2010MCX2
02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
The MasterCraft Sport Trailer Option is price point MC trailer.
-Tongue does not fold
-Bow roller
-Open faced winch
-Steel fenders
-Basic aluminum wheels

I would rather spend the extra on the trailer. I think our 2010 trailer only ended up being $5000. I would not put my beautiful baby on that ugly thing.. It looks like it belongs under a Bayliner... However, if you mostly store your boat on a lift and only need the trailer occasionally, its a good option.

scott023
02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
wait a minute.....

you're talking about a BOAT TRAILER?!?!?!?!?!?

that's wack!!!!!!

And he didnt post up the price of the low profile trailer... :eek:

bturner2
02-04-2011, 02:32 PM
You can order the boat without a trailer and get your own. That's what I did in 09. I'm not that impressed with Mastercraft trailers. Boatmate and Phoenix both make comparable trailers for less. I went with Phoenix and saved quite a bit and I think the boat sits better on the Phoenix trailer then the Mastercraft trailer.
Just my two cents.

I hope the Boatmate Trailers they're making out by you are better than the ones they're selling up here. While it looked nice new my brother in law's been nothing but trouble. Cheap steel fenders with stick on step plates that were peeling off after the first launch, a trailer jack that won't lift the tongue high enough to get over the hitch ball and cheap chrome rims that rusted after the first season. Worst problem is it's almost impossible to load the boat without smacking the bow into the winch post.

This was the first Boatmate that I'd had experience with and from what I've seen it's poorly engineered. Even if you replace the step pads and wheels you'd still be left with a trailer that won't load and needs a brick under the trailer jack to load on your hitch. Never had those issues with any of my MC trailers and i"m on my fourth one.

ddanenberger
02-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I would rather spend the extra on the trailer. I think our 2010 trailer only ended up being $5000. I would not put my beautiful baby on that ugly thing.. It looks like it belongs under a Bayliner... However, if you mostly store your boat on a lift and only need the trailer occasionally, its a good option.

You got a good price. lst on our standard trailer was over 8k. sport option 6k and low profile was close to 10k. I understand these prices can be modified depending on the dealer, but the trailers are steep. MS225 trailer 2011

lawless1
02-04-2011, 05:42 PM
We had an unfortunate "incident" with our MC single axle trailer. When I priced out new trailers I could get a tandem SBT for less than the price the local dealership wanted for a single MC trailer. We have been happy with our SBT. I have pics from the dealership that sold me the SBT and a shot of our 210 on our trailer.

stelldr
02-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the information. The dealer and I worked out a deal for the 2010 X-14X with a new Mastercraft tandem low profile trailer. Mastercraft has to build the trailer and ship it to Montana. As soon as it's all loaded I'll post a pic. The boat is white & black with the black trailer.

CLTMC
02-04-2011, 07:33 PM

2011 MS200 TA LowPro MSRP $10,060

JohnE
02-04-2011, 08:47 PM

What's the 45 sit on scoot? LP or did you cheap out?:D

vandit0022
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM

I have had two SBT trailers. He is correct they are not made by MC if thats what they are talking about, however, I've had no problems with them and was told by a custom trailer builder here locally that they are very well built trailers. I had mine modified for electric over hydrolic brakes, and they mounted some steel pieces on there for the weight distribution system. Obviously the triple axle trailer is a bit heavier but with the brake system change to electric over hydro those 6 disc brakes will stop long before my truck.

Just my 2cents.....

josepcedwards
02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I have had two SBT trailers. He is correct they are not made by MC if thats what they are talking about, however, I've had no problems with them and was told by a custom trailer builder here locally that they are very well built trailers. I had mine modified for electric over hydrolic brakes, and they mounted some steel pieces on there for the weight distribution system. Obviously the triple axle trailer is a bit heavier but with the brake system change to electric over hydro those 6 disc brakes will stop long before my truck.

Just my 2cents.....

Looks like a really nice trailer!

mramerman@gmail.com
02-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Just my 2cents.....

Awesome trailer. Beautiful boat. Looks like a great storage facility too. I live in the Pac NW also. Where do you keep your boat if you don't mind me asking?

snowslider76
02-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I have the SBT as well. I think it's a great trailer but it is engineered longer then the MC trailers, if garage space is tight it's something you might want to consider. The pivot point is 1' longer then a MC trailer. So my 22'3" boat doesn't fit in my 23' garage. If I had the MC trailer it would work, I just haven't modify my house yet ha ha.

vandit0022
02-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Awesome trailer. Beautiful boat. Looks like a great storage facility too. I live in the Pac NW also. Where do you keep your boat if you don't mind me asking?

Snohomish, and it's a very nice facility, but they close the gates at 10 and that makes a tough schedule getting back after a late night excursion.

mramerman@gmail.com
02-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Snohomish, and it's a very nice facility, but they close the gates at 10 and that makes a tough schedule getting back after a late night excursion.

Looks to be an ideal facility. I live in Kirkland and frequently launch on Washington. I think Snoho might be a bit of a stretch for us. Thanks for the update.