PDA

View Full Version : Insta-Slalom vs EZ-Slalom

gatorguy
02-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Looking into getting a portable course. I've looked at both sites, and talked to the owner of EZ-Slalom on the phone. He of course educated me on the poor design of his competetors product. (No suprise there. I'm sure he was being completely objective too.)

So, how about some input from those who own them and use them regularly.

My plan is to put it up on a lake 1 mile from my house. The lake is between 0-40ft deep. The most likely place of putting it is in the 20-30ft deep range. I would likely install and remove each time I used it with an occational Friday-Saturday overnight stay. No one else uses the lake for skiing as most people think it is only for fishing. Most of the fishing is done with trout lines that are 50ft long lines with hooks every 5-10ft. They are left in the lake tied to a floater and the fisherman occationally checks them. They are not in the area that I usually ski in.

I'm looking to buy used, so whatever is availible may determine what I get, but if I have the choise I would at least like it to be an educated one.

east tx skier
02-03-2011, 11:17 AM
I have been happy with my EZ slalom course. It is well made and Ed was very helpful and easy to work with.

Jeff Lyman
02-03-2011, 12:13 PM
We have an Insta-slalom at our lake. I've helped put it in many many times. We use a comp ski boat to handle the main center line. Its usally three people in that boat a driver and 2 hanging over the back letting the line out. In a small fishing boat with engine we put all the pole extentions and turn bouys in. There are two people in this boat but can be done with only 1. Install time averages 30 minutes. Removal alittle less but in the begining install was 45 minutes. Tryed to sink it but not worth the hassle. A word of caution, we had to hire an attorney to investigate the legality of installing it. Glad we did found out our lake is within a special park. In an agreement negosiated we can install on a Fri and must remove it by Sunday. We have only 2 weeks in the summer that it can be in all week.

The other course on ski at is constantly being damaged. The bouys come up missing or found floating near shore. There are a few fishheads that dont like it. That course stays in all season and has a pemit to.

Good luck, a course sperates the men from the boys!

dstone124
02-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I have an Insta-SLalom I purchased used from a local guy who never even inflated the buoys. Picked it up for $400 and felt like i got a steal! Mr. Lyman is correct, with a driver and 2 halfway competent ski buddies you can drop the thing in 30 and pull it in 15. My only caution to you would be the depth of water you're working with. With any mainline course, water that deep will depend on you getting the line tensioned pretty tight to avoid skew. The anchors I-S sells with the package are pretty stout hook type that can bite a mud bottom lake pretty well. We always dropped the course and pulled it as tight as the guy at the back of the boat could stand before dropping the second anchor.
Our ski club ended up purchasing a mid-season replacement for our river course from Insta-Slalom last year. (SS mainline and buoys only) They were great to work with and even expedited delivery at no additional charge.
I'd recommend them to anyone in need.
Either way I think the (2) course manufacturers are very compariable.
Good Luck

André
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I think Kyle ,a member here,was ready to sell his just 2 days ago.
It's an Insta Slalom.http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=730427#post730427

I own an EZ with the SS mainline.Very very happy with both the product and service from Ed at EZ.

mtb74
03-01-2011, 10:42 PM
We have had our EZ from Ed for 3 years, other than a couple new balls and some zip ties we have had no problems. We have the Nylon Main Line and have had no issues, we store it out of the sun when we take it in, same with the balls. Get the heavy River Anchors, it will hold better if you have a some wind.

Matt