PDA

View Full Version : NW Houston

Kingsley X-1
02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
So guys i am in the area and looking for a good place to live. i want to be somewhere close to a lake that i could hydrofoil on and woudnt be that bad of a commute to 290 and 529...any advice?

psychobilly
02-02-2011, 02:01 AM
They move'n ya over to the Houston shop huh. :-) I know where your yard is there, ours main facility is around the corner off Eldridge.

Lake Conroe or Lake Houston. I reckon you'd be better off on Lake Conroe man..... Lake Houston dams up the San Jac. You know where you came across the San Jac just past Bay Town on the way into H Town on I-10? That's party central in the summer time man. Skinny dip cove and the bone yard man! hehehe Ahhhh the good ole days... Lake Houston would also be good for you if your still gunna be going offshore as it's closer to I-10 but Conroe you can still hit back roads to old 90 and come out in Beaumont...

Look me up when you get over here! I'll take ya out on Conroe and show you some do's and don'ts as there's wheel killers all over the north end. (stumps where all the good glass is)

TX.X-30 fan
02-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Go out 290 towards Brenham, then you will be closer to Somerville, Conroe never has flat water.

SkiDog
02-02-2011, 10:07 AM
So guys i am in the area and looking for a good place to live. i want to be somewhere close to a lake that i could hydrofoil on and woudnt be that bad of a commute to 290 and 529...any advice?

I guess you gotta change your screenname when you move! BTW, appreciate the heads up that you were moving!:mad:

Kingsley X-1
02-03-2011, 12:45 AM
i went to kemah today and like the area, but it isnt exactly what i am am looking for. it would be too far of a drive and too much salty water. i also heard about Spring, Tx and some awesome land deals...i might go there tomorrow.

tex
02-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Conroe is a dishwarsher...yes with an R....just like I say it!

aquaman
02-03-2011, 09:06 AM
there are several private ski lake subdivisions i have heard about but not skied. one in kemah, katy, and kingwood.

yes, lake conroe is a bathtub with a spin cycle. :)

KnoxX2
02-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks for letting us know!!!! WTH So guess you will not be in Tampa in May?:mad:8p

The8Ball
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Lake Livingston. Low traffic and HUGE. Stay around the dam side of the lake. Much better than Lake Conroe (too much traffic)... and just little further north (on 59). It's worth it...

psychobilly
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Hey Kingsley, you ever find anything??? I went out on the lake today. (conroe) NO TRAFFIC, lol It was nice out, lil cold but it was nice.

Archimedes
02-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Lake Conroe is a great lake for two things. Drinking beer and destroying propellers and propshafts. Not much else.

psychobilly
02-18-2011, 07:23 AM
lol yes'sir you're right if ya don't know where you are... I have two boats and I run all over that lake and I still have both wheels. Knock on wood, I ain't lost a wheel yet. I see people all the time running wide a$$ open across the stump beds. :rolleyes: I have a Garmin chart plotter in my skiff that I logged the stump beds in after Hurrricane Rita, so I have channels marked off in it. I have another mount and harness in the MC and bring the chart plotter along. But you're right, that lake will hurt ya wheel and shaft. I know a guy that had a buddy with a big outlaw, twin I/O. He left "skiers cove" and hit the stump in the middle. He left an I/O there that day..... It's a great lake if you know it, but a nightmare if'n ya don't....

One other good thing about it is all the coves. If ya know all of them you can play the wind.....

willyt
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
One thing you might want to consider as well is there is a wake nation opening in houston this spring...
www.wakenation.com

I ride at the one in cincinnati when i dont feel like getting my boat out or don't have a crew.... which... honestly isnt that much :-P but its alot of fun when i do go.

east tx skier
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
I lived in Houston for years and never owned a boat while I was there. My old 205 is a Conroe boat. Spent a lot of time on the lift and only was used in the early morning hours as the story goes. Probably why it was in such good shape.

Tried to ski on Conroe once. It wasn't fun.

gts-20
02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
We hit conroe alot during the summer. Ski cove is nice around 7am, after a few hours, its time to either head home, or tie up and have a few cold ones with freinds.

Archimedes
02-18-2011, 05:10 PM
lol yes'sir you're right if ya don't know where you are...

Oh I knew where the stumps were. They were where the only smooth water on the whole lake after 7:30am was! :D

I lost one prop to the stump monster there. Once I started skiing the San Jac, I never went back to Conroe for anything other than beer drinking.

I actually got sea sick floating out in the middle of the lake there one hot summer day. Totally sober. Never had that problem anywhere, but the bathtub action of that place got to me after a while.

TX.X-30 fan
02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Lake Conroe is a great lake for two things. Drinking beer and destroying propellers and propshafts. Not much else.

Oh I knew where the stumps were. They were where the only smooth water on the whole lake after 7:30am was! :D

I lost one prop to the stump monster there. Once I started skiing the San Jac, I never went back to Conroe for anything other than beer drinking.

I actually got sea sick floating out in the middle of the lake there one hot summer day. Totally sober. Never had that problem anywhere, but the bathtub action of that place got to me after a while.

Correct and correct, last time I was there was on a friends waverunner and I didn't think I was going to live to get to the dock.