PDA

View Full Version : Parasails

BamaCraft
02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I have been debating for over a year now. I really think all the kids would love it (adults too). I found one on craigslist for $1500, not sure of the brand. Just browsing they seem to run ~$1500 up tp $3000. We own a 1992 PS205 with the 285HO.

'24FT COMMERCIAL TYPE PARASAIL, LIKE NEW APPROX 3YRS OLD, ONE OWNER, OVER 3000.00 NEW, 300FT OF ROPE, SINGLE AND TANTUM HARNESS, BAG, ALL ACESSORIES, ALWAYS FLOWN ON SMITH LAKE, NEVER LANDED ON GROUND ALWAYS IN WATER, NEVER TORN.'

Whats the name brand to get? Do i have to have / need a winch? special laws etc..?

Thanks for any input.

scott023
02-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Seriously, you better get some operating instruction on this before buying one. There is a lot more than meets the eye when using one of these... just a heads up.

aaron.
02-01-2011, 04:49 PM
i feel if you use this other than along the coast in cancun, you'll just be 'that guy'...and your kids will be bored with it after the first weekend...

also assuming you'll probably have to drill/mount some sort of winch, onto your mastercraft. the thought of that makes me sad. =(

Jerseydave
02-01-2011, 07:12 PM
We borrowed one from a friend years ago and tried it behind my prostar 190....scary!

First try the chute was somewhat tangled on takeoff....my buddy went straight up and then straight down only to smack the water. Not being the kind of guy to give up, he tried again after we untangled it. Straight up he went again, I drove the boat into the wind, backed off the throttle down to idle speed! (we later concluded it was way too windy that day)
So there he is, all the way up....and I'm at idle wondering how to get him down! I know, turn the boat and start driving WITH the wind.....wow I had to go over 30 to keep him from up! Slowed the boat gradually and he came down into the water. Good thing he quickly got out of the harness because the chute started to sink into the lake.

My advise........save your money!

Footin
02-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I had one for a few years, I sold it.

They are an insurance nightmare, I was so scared I would hurt someone that I got rid of it.

venetrex
02-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I had one I bought used for $500 kept it for about 13 years used it about a dozen times and sold it for $500. No money loss. Had to do a beach start. Alot of work getting set up. You need 5 people to go and 2 stay on shore. 2 in the boat the sailer and 2 to FLUFF the chute. It was a novelty at best. And untangling all of the lines a real pain. I didn't think very dangerous. You only do about 20mph. And everything happend slow. Got to use it on a calm day though. Anyways my 2 cents. Buy one used, play with it. Then sell it for what you paid

ahhudgins
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
We have one guy at our lake who owns a parasail. I would guess that at least half of his sessions ends with some sort of equipment malfunction or someone getting hurt. Last summer they had slight cross wind that blew the guy into a flag pole during take off and really messed him up. Note: I'm sure alcohol was involved as well. :rolleyes:

As others have mentioned, it does take several people on shore to get a good launch and I wouldn't attempt it unless I had someone in the boat who had experience pulling a sail.

A few years ago I got pulled on one with my two sons at Myrtle Beach and we went up 1000feet. It was fun for about a minute and then it was boring. I can at least say that I've done it, but neither of my kids thought it was a big deal. I'd say save your money, but that's just my opinion.

trickskier
02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
We have one guy at our lake who owns a parasail. I would guess that at least half of his sessions ends with some sort of equipment malfunction or someone getting hurt. Last summer they had slight cross wind that blew the guy into a flag pole during take off and really messed him up. Note: I'm sure alcohol was involved as well. :rolleyes:

Was he at half mast? :rolleyes:

SkiDog
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Was he at half mast? :rolleyes:

Good one Trick!:eek3::eek3::eek3:

Kyle
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I have a buddy of mine who has 2 parasails. You have to bring about 6 to 7 people to even send 1 rider up. A driver and a watcher or helper when the rider lands into the water to gather up all of the rope and sail. The. You have to leave 3 to 4 people who hold or fluff the sail on the beach hopefully with a cooler.

I rode the sail on a windy day and thought i was going to die. I went straight up as soon as the guys let go of the sail. My buddies 190 was in idle and boat was directly under me 300 ft down. The cross wind was causing the sail to do very weird things making me believe that someone was going to have to notify my mother that i was dead. The sail pulled the boat sideways and water started going over side rails we fought to get the boat to where we could run with the wind but with water conditions with a 190 and trees on the island we had to be very careful. Eventually we got to where we could lower the sail and get me about 5 ft off the water but that was it. We pulled an industrial trick release and separAted the boat from the sail. I went down into the water just to have the sail fill back up and start dragging me. My buddy raced the boat around to the opposite side of the sail and waited for it to get close to the boat. 2 spotters in the boat jumped onto the sail collapsing it and stopping my ride. I quickly get out of my harness because I have 300 foot of rope just floating in the lake.

A sail is only safe when it is glassed out. 10+ mph wind there is nothing safe with a sail. Total pain in the butt.

Please understand we rode the sail 2 or more times a month. We even rode it behind a truck in the neighborhood with a 50 foot rope. They are fun but You need experience to use one. I have been up in my buddies 15 or more times and have been up after feeling I was going to die but I sure don't feel confident to drive the sail alone and be responsible for someone elses safety. My buddy had about 10yrs experience owning the sails and I drove him flying 1 time and I was nervous. I also have 25+ yrs of skiing-boating experience that being said, I don't feel comfortable owning one.

G-Star
02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
We pulled an industrial trick release and separAted the boat from the sail...

Is that the kind that involves a big knife? :D

bturner2
02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
We had one on the lake for about two years. All we heard were the horror stories about how people had been blown into trees and one about the sail collapsing which resulted in a 20' fall into the water. No serious injuries that I know of but it certainly cured me of the desire to own or operate one.

Couple years back a friend brought out a kite tube. As I wouldn't pull him due to a bit of over indulgence he had another guy pull him with his boat. Like blood on the highway. He got it up about 20' and we were all thinking, how cool is this. A few minutes later as he was entering the main part of the lake he hit the cross wind. It flipped the tube and he crashed into the lake. Lesson learned for me was to stick to water sports activities that you stay in the water.

milkmania
02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
We borrowed one from a friend years ago and tried it behind my prostar 190....scary!

First try the chute was somewhat tangled on takeoff....my buddy went straight up and then straight down only to smack the water. Not being the kind of guy to give up, he tried again after we untangled it. Straight up he went again, I drove the boat into the wind, backed off the throttle down to idle speed! (we later concluded it was way too windy that day)
So there he is, all the way up....and I'm at idle wondering how to get him down! I know, turn the boat and start driving WITH the wind.....wow I had to go over 30 to keep him from up! Slowed the boat gradually and he came down into the water. Good thing he quickly got out of the harness because the chute started to sink into the lake.

My advise........save your money!

I have a buddy of mine who has 2 parasails. You have to bring about 6 to 7 people to even send 1 rider up. A driver and a watcher or helper when the rider lands into the water to gather up all of the rope and sail. The. You have to leave 3 to 4 people who hold or fluff the sail on the beach hopefully with a cooler.

I rode the sail on a windy day and thought i was going to die. I went straight up as soon as the guys let go of the sail. My buddies 190 was in idle and boat was directly under me 300 ft down. The cross wind was causing the sail to do very weird things making me believe that someone was going to have to notify my mother that i was dead. The sail pulled the boat sideways and water started going over side rails we fought to get the boat to where we could run with the wind but with water conditions with a 190 and trees on the island we had to be very careful. Eventually we got to where we could lower the sail and get me about 5 ft off the water but that was it. We pulled an industrial trick release and separAted the boat from the sail. I went down into the water just to have the sail fill back up and start dragging me. My buddy raced the boat around to the opposite side of the sail and waited for it to get close to the boat. 2 spotters in the boat jumped onto the sail collapsing it and stopping my ride. I quickly get out of my harness because I have 300 foot of rope just floating in the lake.

A sail is only safe when it is glassed out. 10+ mph wind there is nothing safe with a sail. Total pain in the butt.

Please understand we rode the sail 2 or more times a month. We even rode it behind a truck in the neighborhood with a 50 foot rope. They are fun but You need experience to use one. I have been up in my buddies 15 or more times and have been up after feeling I was going to die but I sure don't feel confident to drive the sail alone and be responsible for someone elses safety. My buddy had about 10yrs experience owning the sails and I drove him flying 1 time and I was nervous. I also have 25+ yrs of skiing-boating experience that being said, I don't feel comfortable owning one.

two things come to mind with these stories.....

1) video camera
2) youtube.com

Kyle
02-02-2011, 04:30 PM
two things come to mind with these stories.....

1) video camera
2) youtube.com

Yes it would be on there with 100% thumbs up. My ride was a total circus. At one point the sail collapsed and I fell about 25ft before it opened and took me right back up.

A recommendation for anyone who owns one of these jewels. Get rider to sign a safety release form and have a very good attorney!!!!!

Jeff Lyman
02-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Agree with everyone above. Alot of work for the fun factor. We never had an accident other than draging me 100 feet across a hard sand beech before it caught wind back in the early 90's. We towed it with a 20 foot Hydrostream with a 200 Merc. I do remember either under allot of power to keep it up or the sail pulling the boat around going slow. We use to take a few adult beverages up with us in our jackets and stay up seems forever.

Not worth the effort or money.

blakehardesty
02-03-2011, 09:05 AM
A buddy of mine had one he pulled with his 190. It was fun but completely unpredictable. When he dropped me the wind gusted and blew me onto the beach where I started. It didnt feel very good and that was the end of my parasailing days. I agree with the insurance waiver.

Kyle
02-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Now don't get me wrong, we had very food times too. One day when the beer was running low(drank mostly by shore workers or faners/friends and the 2 the riders would take up with them) we started giving away rides to boaters who asked us for a ride. We had 3 requirements.

1) The ladies on their boat must be hot and plentiful.
2) The driver and ladies had money.
3) The other boat had extra beer.

It was a great success. No wind or wind gusts. We started loading the first rider in and off she went. Her ride was if I remember correctly $30-$40. She landed and could not stop telling everyone how fun it was. So we let her sell the next ride which then started a fiasco of who goes next. We milked them for every dollar on their boat. Then we negotiated their beer for a ride.

Now all of yall are wondering about the girls. My friends were wanting to stay and play hook up....sorry my thoughts were it won't happen as we took all of their beer and money. It would be different it we gave them rides. So as they got back into their boat and were leaving a BU shows up and the party starts all over. We nickeled and dimed them until what money and beer they had was gone.

All 6 of us had worked our butts off and were all sunburned and ready to go. I convinced my friends that the boats we charged for rides were regulars and we could try our luck with the girls in a week as they would be back to the party cove (and they were). We took our money and first put a full tank in the boat. Next we went to my buddies house and put the boat away, changed clothes, and went to the strip club with our about 1k we made. Now that was a lot of fun....

Ski-A-Rees
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I love how people are freaking out about this and we hang glide out of ski boats all the time.. Go for it!

ShamrockIV
02-03-2011, 03:27 PM
listen to these guys. we have had one for 20 years. almost killed me on first trip. i slipped and fell and it drug me down the bank.

just like these guys say man it is a chore to use and takes a big group of folks and u really need two boats. one to get the rider and one to grab the sail asap before it gets too wet.

we drag ours out maybe once every two years. i have pulled it with s&s and also my 209. i would no be worried at all to hook to my x30.

we dont use a winch lol we just slow down easy and dump the rider in the water

scott023
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
listen to these guys. we have had one for 20 years. almost killed me on first trip. i slipped and fell and it drug me down the bank.

just like these guys say man it is a chore to use and takes a big group of folks and u really need two boats. one to get the rider and one to grab the sail asap before it gets too wet.

we drag ours out maybe once every two years. i have pulled it with s&s and also my 209. i would no be worried at all to hook to my x30.

we dont use a winch lol we just slow down easy and dump the rider in the water

They just sound like a major PITA to me. We love doing them with the certified guys at big lakes etc, but I wouldn't touch one with a 20ft pole for personal use.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Glad I read this thread. I had been toying woth the idea. Now I can put that aside and spend the money in my boat fund on other things.

milkmania
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Glad I read this thread. I had been toying woth the idea. Now I can put that aside and spend the money in my boat fund on other things.

or just send your extra money to me:confused:

scott023
02-03-2011, 03:56 PM
or just send your extra money to me:confused:

"You'll have nothing and like it." :D

waterbug
02-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Personally, I don't understand all the negative comments. I've had one for at least 15 years and have never had anything but positive results. That being said, I have rules:

NO DRINKING! Not until we are done parasailing for the day. After that, it's cocktail hour. Stupidity makes any activity more dangerous than it really is.

Buy the BEST equipment! Do not skimp here. I upgrade equipment every few years. Do yourself a favor and buy a SportLite, they are in the U.K., shipping here to Minnesota was fast. It is by far the best one I have owned. Canopy material is infused with silicone and incredibly strong. It has lots of lift and climbs into the air quickly. Harnesses are the best I've used. I have 600 feet of 1/4" spectra rope. It floats, is easy to handle, and it all fits on plastic garden hose reel from Home Depot. I opted for the Ziplite system so I could open the back of the canopy if it is a little breezy. We do not go up in winds stronger than about 10 mph. I paid quite a bit extra for my art work, but it was worth it to me, draws alot of attention...

Safety is always first! Watch the training video that comes with. You will find that the whole process is quite simple. Especially if you have the same people helping every time. 4 of us get it done pretty efficiently. 1 driver, 1 spotter, 2 people to hold the canopy on shore. Prefferably a couple extra girls in the boat with me.

Girls ride free, guys pay... I am somewhat flexible on this one :)

Just be careful, take your time getting set up, pack up the canopoy the right way and you won't have tangling problems, you will get more efficient setting up. You will have lots of fun, we always do...

Here's a picture of mine

turbosdad
02-05-2011, 08:14 PM
I saw an episode of "I cant believe I survived this" (or something like that) A father and daughter were parasailing in a pretty good wind and the boat begain to actually get pulled by the parasail. The fliers were on the way to tangling into a bridge, the coast guard and some random boats were able to save the day and pull the fliers off the bridge.

ahhudgins
02-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I love how people are freaking out about this and we hang glide out of ski boats all the time.. Go for it!

The ski club at our lake disolved many years ago and two hang glinders stayed wrapped up in a guys shed for years. Before I got married and had kids, a few of us decided to get one of the gliders out and give it a shot. Even at our young age we were smart enough to use a helmet. We got our first victim skiing across the water and the second that he tried to get lift, it shot straight up into the air and then nose dived straight back down (like a kite without a tail). It ripped the nylon and bent a few poles so we carefully packed it up and put it back in the shed. What did we learn? Make sure you have someone in the boat who knows what they are doing.:D

Or
02-06-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzYRWCYWxQE

Just jump to 3:30... save your time

CantRepeat
02-06-2011, 10:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzYRWCYWxQE

Just jump to 3:30... save your time

DOH!!!!!!!