PDA

View Full Version : How do the Big 3 Compare...Trucks

MariStar-Man
02-01-2011, 02:10 PM
I took a Test Drive of a Tundra and found it to be a solid ride. Was just curious how you felt about Chevy Silverado, (Motor Trend Truck of the year) COmpared to Ford with Eco Boost and some 426 torque?

http://image.internetautoguide.com/f/auto-news/2011-ford-super-duty-truck-specs-and-performance-review-first-look/30636459/2011-ford-super-duty-truck.jpg

http://www.carsources.biz/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2011-chevrolet-silverado.jpg

http://toyota-carz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/2011-tundra.jpg

Sodar
02-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Two 3/4 tons and a 1/2 ton? Not exactly the big 3.

FourFourty
02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Two 3/4 tons and a 1/2 ton? Not exactly the big 3.

Besides that, the Tundra is more like a 1/3rd ton. My father just got one and he cant put more than 500lbs in the back without it being on the spring bumpers. Great power, great trans, crappy payload, and the lightest duty front end I have ever seen on a 1/2 ton. Tundra is a great truck for guys who tow a boat, sleds, motorcycles, fix their own house, and like to do things for themselves. It is not as stout as the other half tons for work though.

G-Star
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Besides that, the Tundra is more like a 1/3rd ton. My father just got one and he cant put more than 500lbs in the back without it being on the spring bumpers. Great power, great trans, crappy payload, and the lightest duty front end I have ever seen on a 1/2 ton. Tundra is a great truck for guys who tow a boat, sleds, motorcycles, fix their own house, and like to do things for themselves. It is not as stout as the other half tons for work though.

Oh come on... The Tundra easily handles 1000 lbs of payload on stock suspension. It's no 3/4 ton, but its a great 1/2 ton.

Sodar
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Oh come on... The Tundra easily handles 1000 lbs of payload on stock suspension. It's no 3/4 ton, but its a great 1/2 ton.

1600# per specs....

I agree that the Tundra is a great 1/2 ton. It is not the 3/4 ton that some cheerleaders tout, but so far it has done nothing but impress me for a 1/2 ton.

FourFourty
02-01-2011, 03:09 PM

That Rev Xp weighs less than 500lbs.... Or at least mine does.....492lbs wet. Not sure about the platform you have though...... I dont know what to say about my fathers.... but with 12 bags of feed in the back, it does nothing but bottom the suspension out over small bumps. The F-150 he had before would carry 3 times that without hitting the rubber bumpers.

And I didnt say it wasnt a great truck. I just said it isnt as heavy duty as the domestics. And they NEVER have been. Tundra is the perfect truck for the market that toyota is after....

Forrest-X45
02-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Are you looking for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck? Sounds like you are looking for a gas engine even if you get a 3/4 ton, but if you want the best fuel economy get a diesel. I know....they are alot more up front money but they will last a long time and get much better fuel economy.
If you want a 1/2 ton - the Chevy, Ford, or Toyota will all be fine trucks. It really comes down to which one you like better. I would be very cautious of the new eco-boost being it's first year in production plus some initial feedback hasn't been great. If the truck isn't going to be a daily driver get the V8 for towing the boat.

mayo93prostar
02-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I am now on my 4th Silverado 1/2 ton over more than 25 years and I have had very good luck with them and they have pulled my prostar 190s very well. I upgraded last year to the current one, 2010 Z71 with the 5.7L engine and it is great. I looked quite a bit at the Ford F150 last year and almost bought one but ended up getting a better deal on the Silverado and I am kind of partical to Chevrolet based on my good experience with past trucks. I think most of the trucks are pretty equal now adays and it is more your personal preference on styling, both outside and inside.

Forrest-X45
02-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I am now on my 4th Silverado 1/2 ton over more than 25 years and I have had very good luck with them and they have pulled my prostar 190s very well. I upgraded last year to the current one, 2010 Z71 with the 5.7L engine and it is great. I looked quite a bit at the Ford F150 last year and almost bought one but ended up getting a better deal on the Silverado and I am kind of partical to Chevrolet based on my good experience with past trucks. I think most of the trucks are pretty equal now adays and it is more your personal preference on styling, both outside and inside.

I think you meant to say 5.3L engine. ;)

Jim@BAWS
02-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Ithe current one, 2010 Z71 with the 5.7L engine and it is great. .

Are you sure???I thought the 5.3 has been the norm for the last few years???

Jim@BAWS

G-Star
02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
That Rev Xp weighs less than 500lbs.... Or at least mine does.....492lbs wet. Not sure about the platform you have though...... I dont know what to say about my fathers.... but with 12 bags of feed in the back, it does nothing but bottom the suspension out over small bumps. The F-150 he had before would carry 3 times that without hitting the rubber bumpers.

And I didnt say it wasnt a great truck. I just said it isnt as heavy duty as the domestics. And they NEVER have been. Tundra is the perfect truck for the market that toyota is after....

Yeah, the 154" XP is about 500 lbs. The deck with ramp is another 360 lbs or so. Fuel, gear, etc. under the deck adds up... total weight is around 1000 lbs, give or take.

Just wanted to point out that I routinely haul around 1000 lbs with no problems.

Also, I once had a 2000 lb pallet of floor tiles forklift loaded into the bed. That didn't work out too well... Wasn't QUITE on the bumpstops, but it had less than an inch to go. Good thing I only had to go about 5 blocks.

scott023
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
They're all good trucks, this is completely a personal preference issue. But, as others have said, the Toyota is not a "tough" truck, yet. There is a reason that they are not used in HD work environments... they haven't proven to be able to handle the work load.

medicmoose
02-01-2011, 03:55 PM
If money isn't the issue, a Chev truck with the 6.6 Duramax would be my choice!

TayMC197
02-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Jim@BAWS

It is the 5.3L Vortec.. hasn't changed...

I did read about GM developing a Diesel for the Half ton, just a smaller Duramax

I love how Dodge wasn't in the Mix... I have driven and pulled with a new chevy and ford... They are both great trucks by all means... ford is a little slower off the line but feels a little more stout. Its not like we are going to race these trucks, so honestly besides features and mileage does it matter. Both will pull great and do what they are meant to do.

TayMC197
02-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Honestly with money and all aside. I would choose the Ford.. Main reason is I like the durability of the straight axle front end. Yes, the Duramax IFS is smoother, I just have had more issues with it than I have had with a ford. Look at the drive line issues with chevy.

Just so you know I own a Chevy Duramax... I have had these issues.. Also check out the transfer case issue with GM... That cost me a lot of money... Ford, besides injectors has been solid. Just wish they were more comfortable of a ride

1redTA
02-01-2011, 04:13 PM
I can buy a lot of gas for the "upgrade" to diesel. With diesel prices being as high as they are it will just take longer.
However, if I actually used the max payload capacity occasionally, I would rather have the diesel.

The 08 Sierra crew cab I have has quite more pull than my 98 z71 350 and is nice enough to switch to 4cyl mode at light throttle.

Archimedes
02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I've loved my Chevy's. Loved my LandCruiser for 155,000 miles, but wasn't impressed with the Tundra when I drove it, so went back to Chevy. The Tundra ride was too rough for me and the interior was really plasticky and cheesy, which has always been my knock on Toyota. There are cheap plastic bits in the current $70k LandCruiser that are identical to the crap that came on my 94. I'm sure the Tundra performs well, but the total package doesn't work for me.

I've got 50k miles on my 07 Avalanche and I've been happier with it than just about any vehicle I've ever owned. Ride is fantastic, tows great, hauls my motos in the back, the quality and reliability have been flawless, and I love the interior more every day.

ski_king
02-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I took a Test Drive of a Tundra and found it to be a solid ride. Was just curious how you felt about Chevy Silverado, (Motor Trend Truck of the year) COmpared to Ford with Eco Boost and some 426 torque?

http://image.internetautoguide.com/f/auto-news/2011-ford-super-duty-truck-specs-and-performance-review-first-look/30636459/2011-ford-super-duty-truck.jpg

I guess I am confused. The Eco boost is only available in the F-150 and you have a photo of a Super Duty.

That being said, I think I would get the F-150 with the 5.0. There is something about small engines that develop that much power that bothers me. I am sure there would be arguments about reliability.

Toybota and GM are not bad either.....

shepherd
02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Get the one that climbs that spiralling ramp through the flames in the desert! :headbang:

Sodar
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Get the one that climbs that spiralling ramp through the flames in the desert! :headbang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D10d579eEs

captain planet
02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Uh....a toyota truck is in this over a Dodge? :confused: Seriously? Our work fleet here at my company is mostly Fords, a couple Chevys, and one toyota. The toyota definately is least capable of the 3 here and based on what I've seen out of it....I would take a Dodge over it any day.

BTW, the "Bowtie" has been the least trouble prone and all of our trucks are in and out of landfills on a daily basis.

ncsone
02-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Get the one you like the best. They are all great trucks. You can make a solid argument for buying each of the truck brands. Pick the one with the styling and features you like and go with that. I have a Tundra now and love it. I have had GM and Ford products in the past and they were great vehicles as well.

FourFourty
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah, the 154" XP is about 500 lbs. The deck with ramp is another 360 lbs or so. Fuel, gear, etc. under the deck adds up... total weight is around 1000 lbs, give or take.

Just wanted to point out that I routinely haul around 1000 lbs with no problems.

Also, I once had a 2000 lb pallet of floor tiles forklift loaded into the bed. That didn't work out too well... Wasn't QUITE on the bumpstops, but it had less than an inch to go. Good thing I only had to go about 5 blocks.

Maybe TRD is the difference?? His doesnt hit the bumpers at a stand still......Its when he hits bumps or dips in the road. Or when it recoils back after coming to a stop. Maybe the TRD shocks are the answer!

Jeremy S. Davis
02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
I have to vote for the Chevy. Currently driving a 08 2500HD with the duramax. I put about 45,000 miles a year on my vehicle. My truck has had the regular bed replaced with a specialty box for my business and weighs about 3,000 lbs which stays on my truck continuously. All of this with zero problems to date. The box was moved from my last vehicle an 01 Dodge 2500. It had it's share of issues that started within 65000 miles all of which were costly to fix. That being said I would consider a Dodge for my next vehicle. I've driven several Ford's from 1999 to present and haven't been impressed with any of them. But all are nice trucks. Like others have said it's all personal preference.

Finnsdad
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Honda Ridgeline!

Shaun315
02-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I've got a 04 Chevy 1/2 ton with the 6.0L engine, runs great and pulls a harder than the standard 5.3L, I think that's an option on the 1/2 tons now - mine's an SS so w/ lower gearing it really pulls hard. That being said, I think my next truck will be a ford or chevy 3/4 ton diesel, the SS is AWD and I'm not looking forward to repairing the differential or transfer case when they go... but I bet the 6.0L is great in the 1/2 4x4s.

bobx1
02-01-2011, 07:46 PM
After three F250's (diesel, crew, 4x4) since 1999, I went down to a F150 last year (2009, crew, 4x4) and while I love the drive and nimbleness, I am going back to the F250 next year. Two of my buddies have the Chevy 2500's and really like them but have had such good luck with Ford, I am sticking with them.

rjracin240
02-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Cant leave my Nissans out of the ratings!!!!

http://www.nissanusa.com/titan/?dcp=ppn.16566632.&dcc=0.94932454

Posted this on another thread, but this is a good oppurtunity to drive some of the trucks you are talking back to back against each other at these events that are put on around the country. Did one event in S.Fl had a blast, even got fed and entertained:headbang::banana::headbang:

http://www.mainstreetinmotion.com/FAQ.aspx

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2010/11/gms-main-street-in-motion-provides-test-drives-without-pressure.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTeuSg4Evec

nmcjr
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
I have a 2500HD, my dad has a Ford 3/4 diesel, and a friend has a Tundra. The Tundra can't compete with the other two head to head, but for just towing a boat its a great choice and one I might consider if I were buying right now (since the Duramax is really overkill for me, but man is it fun). The 6.0 on the Chevy 1/2 ton is a good option for towing and the minimum I would personally get in their lineup. I have an Escalade with the 6.2 and it tows great, but has nothing on the Duramax. I haven't driven a Ford 1/2 ton for a few years now but always felt like they were a little underpowered (same opinion with the base GM engine) and I don't think they offer an option like the 6.0, though not sure of that. That said, you can certainly tow with a base 1/2 ton, its just a little more effort than I prefer.

Between Ford and Chevy on the 3/4 ton I think the Chevy has better ride and noise levels but the Ford has some really nice features. Also, diesels seem to still be holding their value pretty well and though they are more truck than is needed for towing a boat they just make towing such an easy experience that I'm glad we have it (and now they have the Denali option which is really nice).

psychobilly
02-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Man you're brave post'n these questions :rolleyes::D

I'm biased as I have a 1/2 ton Silverado company truck, that I just got in place of my old co truck which was a Dodge 1/2 ton both gasers. I have had the 240SC behind both and they don't really have the balls for that boat. They will pull it, but not like my '02 F-250 will. When I bought it I went to Gunterville, AL from Houston to pick her up and that's some 750 miles one way. I pulled the 240sc home running 75 to 85 all the way (forgive me but I still don't know the weight of the ole girl but she's heavy) and the ole F250 had plenty of power and that was stock. Since then I've added the Banks system and it's even better.

I reckon the Chevys have the most comfortable seating IMO. Ford has the better Drive train IMO, and that Dodge/Cummins diesel..... Bad to the bone ;)

With that being said IMO it depends on how far you plan on tow'n ya boat.... If it's just down the road like mine is (less than 2 miles from storage to boat ramp) a half ton would prolly be fine as I have done it. They don't like to pull that much weight but they'll do it. But now if you're towing long distances all the time you may wanna bite the bullet and get a truck with balls.... Since you can't get all makes and models into one then you just have to decide what you want more. In '02 when I bought my Ford, I think that was the best choice. But nowwa days it would prolly be the Chevy. I'm not much into Dodge even though I like the s*$# outta that cummins, it just ain't much of a truck, IMO.

Did I mention this was a touchy subject, lol Oh sheeeesh, I didn't even mention the toyota........:rolleyes:

Jeremy S. Davis
02-02-2011, 07:38 AM
I think my decision would be based on if it were a daily driver or not. Less than 15,000-20,000 miles per year I would look at a lower mileage pre-08 diesel. Much better fuel mileage and a ton cheaper. Mileage really went down due to emissions requirements in 08. I've got a half ton Chevy that has guts for short distance but am partial to overkill (diesel's ) both Chevy's I've got are Great on tires. My 08 got 94,000 out of its first set And the half ton gets a little over 100k per set. My Dodge was maybe 50-60k. If I was getting a new one - whew- tough choice. But probably another Chevrolet.

cf_koch
02-02-2011, 08:10 AM
I voted for the Tundra because my boat/trailer combination only weighs in at 5,000 lbs and I do not need a 3/4 truck. Since my tow vehicle is also my daily driver and I am not a contractor, the 10,500 lb capabilities of the 1/2 ton Tundra does very well. With the crew max option, this truck is like having a luxury vehicle with an extremely large trunk and great towing capabilities.

Sometimes the most capable is not the most appropriate vehicle for the job since we all have to make compromises when we make a vehicle choice.

TX.X-30 fan
02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey Prambold no Dodge.............. :idunno:

Thrall
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I guess I am confused. The Eco boost is only available in the F-150 and you have a photo of a Super Duty.

Consider the source!

Rockman
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda Ridgeline!

No grocery getters! :noface:

capnkirk52
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Are you looking for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck? Sounds like you are looking for a gas engine even if you get a 3/4 ton, but if you want the best fuel economy get a diesel. I know....they are alot more up front money but they will last a long time and get much better fuel economy.
If you want a 1/2 ton - the Chevy, Ford, or Toyota will all be fine trucks. It really comes down to which one you like better. I would be very cautious of the new eco-boost being it's first year in production plus some initial feedback hasn't been great. If the truck isn't going to be a daily driver get the V8 for towing the boat.

Wow. This post is full of bad info.

ECO-Boost F150 + Sync = WIN!!

Or you could just call it a day and get a Raptor!! Best of all worlds. The 6.2L is pretty nasty. My X-star doesn't squat it much at all. Could totally handle your boat.

What elevation are you at? Anything over 2000 feet and you should get the Eco-Boost for sure.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9242/021egp.jpg

ski_king
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Wow. ..........Or you could just call it a day and get a Raptor!! Best of all worlds. The 6.2L is pretty nasty.

Check out Top Gear America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRr27uAw_fI) for a cool test of the Raptor. It is not a stock one, but very impressive.

JTNG
02-02-2011, 11:53 AM
NICE LOOKIN TRUCK!!!! I'll stick with my old F350 V10 at 8mpg. Just trying to save the oil industry:D

capnkirk52
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Check out Top Gear America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRr27uAw_fI) for a cool test of the Raptor. It is not a stock one, but very impressive.

Yeah, I have seen it. I get asked every day about this truck. It is the best vehicle I have owned.

ski_king
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I have seen it. I get asked every day about this truck. It is the best vehicle I have owned.

There is sombody locally that is using one for a work truck. Has a bed mounted tool box and ladder rack loaded with ladders............ such a waste..... but it is a nice work truck...

do you have the 6.2 in yours?

NatesGr8
02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Nissan Titan gets my vote!

mayo93prostar
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Jim@BAWS

5.3L is correct. jeez you guys are tough!!! Go Chevy.

Thrall
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Jeeezus Maristar Man, now you added a Taco to the "Big 3" poll. Do us all a favor and rename the thread too.........like "Maristar Man's Random Which Truck do I Like Best Today" thread.:confused:

Forrest-X45
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Wow. This post is full of bad info.

ECO-Boost F150 + Sync = WIN!!

Or you could just call it a day and get a Raptor!! Best of all worlds. The 6.2L is pretty nasty. My X-star doesn't squat it much at all. Could totally handle your boat.

What elevation are you at? Anything over 2000 feet and you should get the Eco-Boost for sure.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9242/021egp.jpg

Really??? Bad info huh? Since when is a turbo V6 going to get better fuel economy over a diesel towing? Glad you like you raptor and it works for you, but sorry - not for me and your raptor would squat alot with my boat, there is a lot of tongue weight with my trailer. There is good comparison info in there and I wouldn't consider the eco boost for me, especially being the first year of production for ford.

FourFourty
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Really??? Bad info huh? Since when is a turbo V6 going to get better fuel economy over a diesel towing? Glad you like you raptor and it works for you, but sorry - not for me and your raptor would squat alot with my boat, there is a lot of tongue weight with my trailer. There is good comparison info in there and I wouldn't consider the eco boost for me, especially being the first year of production for ford.

The 3.5l ecoboost has been in the SHO for two years. Its not a brand new engine. just the first time in the F-150. Forced induction always creates a great engine for torque. I dont see why this wont be a great truck engine. You are right about it never being equivilent to a diesel, that is for sure.

So long as diesels keep reselling the way they do, I will never go back to a gasser. It may cost 8k more when you buy it, but if you trade every 3-5 years, you will get it all back when you trade it. Used diesel trucks, in nice shape, are always in high demand. The fact that you will spend 20% less on fuel is just an added bonus.