PDA

View Full Version : x30 surf tabs

ShamrockIV
02-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Been talking to MC dealer about surf tabs on my 2002 X30. we surf all the time and and wife can free surf all day but my 220lb butt has problems. thinking about going the surf tab option instead of increased ballast.

opinions???

ttu
02-01-2011, 01:01 PM
still going to need more ballast. from my understanding the tabs only shape the wake better.

BIGBADBLUE
02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Been talking to MC dealer about surf tabs on my 2002 X30. we surf all the time and and wife can free surf all day but my 220lb butt has problems. thinking about going the surf tab option instead of increased ballast.

opinions???

As you know, I am a LOT lighter than you :) so I would not have those issues :) NOT!!!

Call Bobby Smith ... he is putting more ballast in my new boat. ... let me know if you need his number

BBB

ShamrockIV
02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
As you know, I am a LOT lighter than you :) so I would not have those issues :) NOT!!!

Call Bobby Smith ... he is putting more ballast in my new boat. ... let me know if you need his number

BBB

yeah bobby did my last one. but word i got was tabs were easier on the engine. not sure if this is true but I am sure someone will come along and straighten me out.

Ole Miss Rebels
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
interesting topic but i have always been told that there is no substitute fo.r water displacement in any wake sport. still, i can only imagine that the combination of the two would be killer, especially on a boat that is already a good wave producer.

BIGBADBLUE
02-01-2011, 04:17 PM
yeah bobby did my last one. but word i got was tabs were easier on the engine. not sure if this is true but I am sure someone will come along and straighten me out.

No idea ... I am just getting into the make a wake bigger thing ... I always want it smaller. :)

CantRepeat
02-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I believe the last person that installed tabs said they didn't increase his wake size, just shaped it more. IE pushing the sweet spot back away from the boat and changing the lip.

shredstixxwa
02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
They dont do much really, if i could turn back time i would not have installed, and spent the $ on more weight. I dont even bother with them. Maybe different story on x30...

CantRepeat
02-01-2011, 07:56 PM
They dont do much really, if i could turn back time i would not have installed, and spent the $ on more weight. I dont even bother with them. Maybe different story on x30...

What boat do you have?

shredstixxwa
02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
What boat do you have?

2009 X-2 with retro tabs and trim plate

rgardjr1
02-03-2011, 06:50 PM
2009 X-2 with retro tabs and trim plate

How about the wake plate? Does it help/hurt for surfing? I've been thinking about adding one to my boat to eliminate porpoising at higher speeds. Just wondering if it would help out the surf wake.

shredstixxwa
02-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Not sure, i dont deploy it, but by having it even in the retracted position would have some hull lengthening effect, some people use it for surfing i know, what and how im unsure.
Same as above applys for the surf tabs.
Their are tons of variables, trial an error.
Good luck

Alqpoe
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey fellow motor-boaters,

I also have a 2002 X30 that I only want for surfing. have 1100 pounds in the back corner and 400 KGB. With 12 people and gear all on one side the wake looks great. But after 1 or 2 riders people end up moving all around the boat and then the prop spray is like a fire hose at the top of the wake. It makes it impossible to surf the top 3/4 of the wake. I tried moving more people in the front including an extra 600 pounds of ballast in the front. It doesn't seem to help with the spray. I'm strongly thinking of installing some surf tabs to help with the roll of the boat. Does anyone think this is the solution?
Thanks,
Al

jafo9
07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
hey Alqpoe, where is the 1100 lbs? locker? seat?

Alqpoe
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I took out the hard tank in the back next to the engine and reinforced the dividing panels with aluminum plate to support and make room for the 1100 pound fly highs.