PDA

View Full Version : Mcx 350hp review

davidstan
01-31-2011, 07:53 AM
I did a search and couldn't find anything so what is the consensus on this engine? What are the specs is it a true 5.7 and is tq over 400? Those that have this engine let me know your thoughts on this engine please? Thanks!

davidstan
01-31-2011, 08:11 AM
I did find the specs on the Indmar site but still would like to know from those that have this engine how it performs. Thx

bturner2
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
The MCX and RTP are both based off the GM 5.7 block and are near bulletproof as power plants for most inboard boats. They've been in production from probably 20 years and have proven themselves to be very reliable with reports of people running them past a 1000 hours of use without rebuild.

The primary difference between the MCX and the RTP is the upgraded intake and cats on the MCX. The upgraded intake and ECU programing changes allow the MCX to produce high HP in the upper RPM ranges. There have been many Jihads on this website over the differences between the two motors which you should be able to find with the search function. Bottom line is that both are very good power plants that will provide you many years of reliable service.

JimN
01-31-2011, 10:32 AM
MC started using the RTP and MCX after 2001 and they use the same 5.7L motor as the older Predator, LTR and LT-1, all with different peripherals. The 'Y" block has roller rockers and cam, which makes them different from the earlier Predator TBI but even that got these in about '98. The 350/5.7L went into production in '54 and it has probably the longest production run in automotive history. Whether the torque is over 400 ft/lb is a matter for debate because either has enough to jerk a heavy person out of the hole and get up to speed quickly. As for peoples' egos, that's why the debate rages on. Since these aren't made to be "speed boats", it doesn't matter once it reaches a certain level.

ShawnB
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
We have this motor in the X2. After 860 hours it still runs like a champ. If you're going to be wakeboarding more than anything else a lower pitch prop does wonders. With the stock prop it will hit 40mph no problem.

Aside from regular maintenance and an squeaky alternator that developed in the 820hr range, it's been bulletproof.