PDA

View Full Version : Good First Boat?

Gimb
01-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Okay well I have never owned a boat before, but I have learned all the basic stuff such as docking and the rules on our lake. But I want to be able to have my own wake boarding boat and also a family boat for things like tubing and skiing. So I am currently looking at a MC X45. Is this boat easy to control and a good overall family boat? If not what other boats should I look at?

Thanks

Gimb
01-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Also i will be getting this boat used.

Covi
01-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Go big or go home..... Wow nice first boat if you can pull it off. I don't know what year you are considering but the x 45 will do everything you want it to do. It's rated for 18 persons or roughly 3000 lbs. So you and all your friends should be able to enjoy it. As far as easy to control sure eventually it will be but not right out of the box. You will need to get use to the size and weight depending on what you are use to being a passenger / driver in. You certainly have got off on the right foot by choosing mastercraft as your brand, you will not go wrong. Ask as many questions as you need of this forum and you will get answers. Welcome!

KBryant2007
01-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Depending on the type of lake you are boating on, this is a very large boat, capable of handling some of the larger lakes. In my opinion, as a result of the size you sacrifice some of the maneveurability of some of the smaller wakeboarding boats. I have a Prostar 209 which I consider a great crossover boat with adequate room for my family. I would also look at the X-2. Good luck on your search.

chippy1971
01-30-2011, 07:35 PM
So I have been boating since I was very young and driving all different types of boats from cruisers to light weight race boats doing 100mph on the water. So if I have learn't anything you need to start with something that you can handle by yourself. If you cannot put the x45 on and off the trailer by yourself you are not going to enjoy boating very much.

The reason I say this is the only person you can rely on is yourself. People will say they will help and they do in the beginning but that all goes away very quickly.

I would strongly advise that you ensure that you test out a few boats and see how you go. You might find the x45 is to big and heavy for what you want.

This is just my 2 cents.

Gimb
01-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Also i am thinking on getting a xstar, but i feel as if that just completely too much of a wake boarding boat. but it is smaller and easier to control. the reason im leaning on too a xstar is also because i will be getting a boat wrap :P

magnum
01-30-2011, 08:05 PM
I have an X-Star and it is a couple feet shorter than the X-45. If you are planning on wakeboarding and surfing it is a great boat, not as much room as the X-45 but will still hold up to 12 people . I have driven both boats and if you have never driven an inboard boat you might want to test drive one first, it does take some patients on docking and loading on a trailer but they are Great boats. Hope you find what you are looking for.

mccobmd
01-30-2011, 08:12 PM
If you are new to boating either of those boats are a little harder to handle. An X1 or X2 are easier to maneuver. Not that you can't learn to drive any there's just a little more of a curve for the larger inboards. The other thing to consider is who will be going with you. The 45 will have a monster wake for beginners.

east tx skier
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
If you want something maneuverable, get an I/O. If you want a good wake/ski/surf boat, get a vdrive or DD. Either way, maneuvering around the dock is going to be tricky and you should practice in open water first. Good luck with your purchase, but the mere fact that you are posing here gives your direction away and the fact of the matter is that you will be sacrificing maneuverability for performance. Not that that's a bad thing.

Gimb
01-30-2011, 08:30 PM
If you are new to boating either of those boats are a little harder to handle. An X1 or X2 are easier to maneuver. Not that you can't learn to drive any there's just a little more of a curve for the larger inboards. The other thing to consider is who will be going with you. The 45 will have a monster wake for beginners.

So you think i should go with x1 or x2? because on the lake i am going to be on the weekends the boat might get thrown around, so i dont want that to happen. That is another reason why i kind of dont want a small boat. But the wake will be big on the x45 so maybe i should go with the xstar?

mikey.145
01-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I could not be happier with my X45. Being your first boat you might learn a couple things the hard way, but we've all been there. Having 18 legal seats is great and I never worry about having to many people on-board and there is tons of storage on the boat. I use mine in narrow rivers for wake boarding and it plows very well through rough lakes. Basically the boat does EVERYTHING great, except turn on a dime! If you have some boating experience I would say go for it!

kevkan
01-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Maybe not politically correct but... I really hope someone with an X45 for their first boat is not sharing the lake with me.

Gimb
01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Maybe not politically correct but... I really hope someone with an X45 for their first boat is not sharing the lake with me.

I will be taking boating lessons if that helps at all

Archimedes
01-30-2011, 08:50 PM
If I were you, I'd buy something smaller, like an X-2 and run it for a season then see if you need the bigger boat. Like others have said, no offense, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a 'new boater' who's trying to dock an X-45 or put it on their trailer. When I was a new boater, I never would have felt comfortable maneuvering something that big around a dock unless it was an I/O.

But if you are inclined toward a bigger boat, what about the X-15 or X-25? Personally, I think the X-15 is awesome, but others prefer the X-25.

TN X-45
01-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Dont worry about the wake - you can just not fill the ballast and deploy the wakeplate. This will reduce the wake for beginners. Out on the lake - you should have no problem. Near the dock, and in tight quarters - she is a pig - BUT you cannot beat the space. Just go slow when docking. Also, I have been known to put the bimini down in higher winds which helps and I have been driving inboards for years. Once you learn, it should not be an issue at all. Good luck!

Jerseydave
01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Okay well I have never owned a boat before, but I have learned all the basic stuff such as docking and the rules on our lake. But I want to be able to have my own wake boarding boat and also a family boat for things like tubing and skiing. So I am currently looking at a MC X45. Is this boat easy to control and a good overall family boat? If not what other boats should I look at?

Thanks

You mentioned you want this boat for wakeboarding, tubing and skiing. The X-45 will not be your best choice of a ski boat. I would suggest you search for other people in your area (MC owners) that would be willing to take you out on their boats and possibly drive them. Every size MC drives a bit different so try a few and see which one is best for you.

Docking these v-drive boats takes practice and patience so if you've never actually tried it be warned.....they are way different than I/O's when it comes to slow speed control and backing up.

Because of the X45's size, don't forget to consider your tow vehicle, storage, fuel consumption, etc.

Best of luck in your search for your first boat.....you picked a great brand and an even better forum!

FourFourty
01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Gimb- It sounds to me like the X25 is what you are looking for...... Not too big, deep v for smooth dry ride on rough waters, capacity of 16, great wakeboard and surf wake.

Not a good boat for slalom wake, but neither are the other two that you are considering. Plus, the 25 has a few extra creature comforts that are good for the family....armrests and rear facing seats on the back.....things like that. 2010 was the first year for the X25 though, so it may be hard to find a used one near you.

X2 and the X15 would be good possibilties for you as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I will be taking boating lessons if that helps at all

Lessons sound like a good plan. Where in the Midwest do you plan on using your new boat. That certainly should have some bearing on which boat you pick.

ShawnB
01-30-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm glad nobody was taking video of me the first time I drove a 255V. Even with many years of inboard driving experience it took me three tries to get it to line up on the dock.

chippy1971
01-31-2011, 02:59 AM
So just to add to my earlier post, I have an x15 and I love it. I can handle it fine but again I have been driving for a long time.

The wake is amazing for teaching kids and adults to either ski or wake board.

Now as you progress with wake boarding or you want to try surfing you can just add some additional weight either by adding some fat sacs ( ballast bags, www.wakemakers.com talk to Jason and tell him I sent you ). The great thing about this is once you want to teach beginners again you empty the bags and tanks in the boat and you are back to basics.

I really think an xstar / x45 for your first boat is going to be to big for someone that wants to learn to drive and or take out friends and family to learn to ski.

Again just my two cents.

bturner2
01-31-2011, 07:47 AM
You'll need a lot more than a boating class to handle a 24' plus boat if you're a first time boater, especially an inboard. Almost all boating classes I've seen are classroom led and don't have in boat, on the water activities which is what you'll need. A good dealer will help you make the transition but what you would need here is a couple days of training to be anywhere near proficient.

They are several aspects to boating that you'll need experience with if you've never had a boat before and the larger the boat the more need for experience. A larger boat will be harder to back down the launch, will be harder to dock and will slower to respond to commands. An inboard/vDrive while higher in performance to your typical I/O will be more difficult to handle in close quarters and takes time to master. I've been driving inboards/vDrives for the past 20 years in the 20 - 23 foot range and it would probably take some time for me to be comfortable with something the size of a x245.

JohnE
01-31-2011, 08:25 AM
I'd go X2 or X15. Both have good wakes and can handle the chop well. Of course 45 will hold more people and handle larger lakes better.

3event
01-31-2011, 08:44 AM
If you can throw out some more info, the gang here might be able to help focus recommendations for you:

1 What watersports are most important? Are you at all serious about skiing behind it or strictly recreational?
2 Do you have a dock where boat will be kept or will you be trailering? If trailering what do you have to tow it with?
3 What kind of capacity (people) are you shooting for?
4 What size boats have you been riding in and what do you like? Have you spent any time behind the wheel? No judgment if not, everyone starts somewhere. It just helps experienced boaters know where you're coming from.
5 How big is the lake? What size boats inhabit it?

You have a lot of good input from owners of various boats. Now make sure you stay here, and get yourself in a MC !

Thrall
01-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Just get the 45 and be done with it. If I had the ching for one it would be in my garage (if my garage was big enough!) Unless you're one of those guys that can't drive a Yugo thru a barn door you'll be fine and if you don't like it I'll trade you straight across for a cherry X2, and I deliver!:D

scott023
01-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Our first boat was an X45. Haven't regretted purchasing it for a second. There will be a learning curve to operating any boat, so that point is mute. There are a lot of pros to having the 45 for your first, not the least of which is you will most likely never have to upgrade to a larger boat... the interior layout of the boat is perfect for entertaining larger groups as well.

Gimb
01-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Lessons sound like a good plan. Where in the Midwest do you plan on using your new boat. That certainly should have some bearing on which boat you pick.

Specifically I will be using it on Lake Geneva in WI. Which gets really busy on the weekends. So in the morning i will be able to wakeboard, but in the day i will just be cruising.

Gimb
01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
If you can throw out some more info, the gang here might be able to help focus recommendations for you:

1 What watersports are most important? Are you at all serious about skiing behind it or strictly recreational?
2 Do you have a dock where boat will be kept or will you be trailering? If trailering what do you have to tow it with?
3 What kind of capacity (people) are you shooting for?
4 What size boats have you been riding in and what do you like? Have you spent any time behind the wheel? No judgment if not, everyone starts somewhere. It just helps experienced boaters know where you're coming from.
5 How big is the lake? What size boats inhabit it?

You have a lot of good input from owners of various boats. Now make sure you stay here, and get yourself in a MC !

1 - Wakeboarding and tubing mostly, but there will be skiing probably done
2 - We will be tailoring, but I have a suburban so that is not a problem
3 - the most people that will be on the boat will probably be 9-10
4 - I have driven a 270 sundancer and it seemed easy, but not near the docks.
5 - the lake is pretty large, boats that are under 23' will probably get thrown around, largest boats on the lake are about 40' average 21-26'

gocougs
01-31-2011, 01:10 PM
So what about the x-15? We go our 2010 last summer and it is wonderful. Yes, there was a learning curve coming from an outboard, but easy enough to handle. Our friends have x-stars and x-45, and x-15's and for me, the x-45 is just too big and the x-star can't set up to surf as easy as the x-15. Something to look at when comparing.

ShawnB
01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
5 - the lake is pretty large, boats that are under 23' will probably get thrown around, largest boats on the lake are about 40' average 21-26'

On a lake that size you could get away with an X-55, X-80 or even a 300. Those bigger boats aren't going to give you a great slalom ski experience, but then again with all that chop it's not going to be tournament conditions anyway. If you're just going to waterski like Fonzie (minus the shark jumping) it will be fine.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Specifically I will be using it on Lake Geneva in WI. Which gets really busy on the weekends. So in the morning i will be able to wakeboard, but in the day i will just be cruising.

Plenty of water there. I would think at least the X-25. Certainly room for the X-45. Not sure of your time-frame to purchase, but probably worth getting out in a boat or two if you haven't already to see what you like and don't like. Are you looking at new or used?

Gimb
01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Plenty of water there. I would think at least the X-25. Certainly room for the X-45. Not sure of your time-frame to purchase, but probably worth getting out in a boat or two if you haven't already to see what you like and don't like. Are you looking at new or used?

I will be getting the boat used

KnoxX2
01-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Go with the X45 you can't go wrong!!! Great boat and will be able to handle that lake well!

scott023
01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Go with the X45 you can't go wrong!!! Great boat and will be able to handle that lake well!

There you go... good advice. We haven't had any issues with our 45 being too big, and our lake is smaller than yours. Like others have said, make sure you test drive it first.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
I will be getting the boat used

Looking to buy from a dealer or private party? I would think there would be some benefit from buying from a dealer as a good dealer will get you on the water to test the boat out and not be necessarily set on one particular boat they are trying to sell you. Plus I'm guessing you will be looking for a place for service work, and no better place for that than a MC dealer. 80 or so miles gets you to the MC dealer in Chicago.

PDXSurfer
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM

The thing I would emphasize is this is truly a massive boat. You've looking at more than 6,500 lbs sitting on the trailer (boat only, keep in mind fuel, toys, supplies, etc.), so your Burb should be 3/4 ton at least IMO. You don't have mountains to deal with, but that would still be a big pull.

It's an amazing boat--great storage, very comfortable etc., but big gas hog with LY6 and needs lots of weight to surf to roll that big body over.

Also, in windy conditions and close quarters it's a serious hand full that requires careful direction.

scott023
01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
The thing I would emphasize is this is truly a massive boat. You've looking at more than 6,500 lbs sitting on the trailer (boat only, keep in mind fuel, toys, supplies, etc.), so your Burb should be 3/4 ton at least IMO. You don't have mountains to deal with, but that would still be a big pull.

It's an amazing boat--great storage, very comfortable etc., but big gas hog with LY6 and needs lots of weight to surf to roll that big body over.

Also, in windy conditions and close quarters it's a serious hand full that requires careful direction.

My 1/2 Tahoe pulls the X45 with no issues... through the mountains.

Ours has the L18 and the fuel consumption has been far lower than we expected. But really, who buys a tow boat based on fuel usage?;)

FourFourty
01-31-2011, 03:40 PM
My 1/2 Tahoe pulls the X45 with no issues... through the mountains.

Ours has the L18 and the fuel consumption has been far lower than we expected. But really, who buys a tow boat based on fuel usage?;)

As to the issue of a burb/tahoe pulling an X45, I would say it depends on what year Burb/Tahoe we are talking about. No matter what year they are, they will pull that boat. I would be more worried about the brakes and transmissions etc...on the older ones. The newer ones (especially 07 and up) are equipped with much better brake setups than the older ones. Transmissions are way better as well. I had an 08 Sierra 1500, and used to pull a 9000lb tractor all over hell with it. It gets up to a 13% grade on the mountain roads between my house and work. I took it easy, and she did fine.

That being said, I now have a Denali HD Diesel, and it does much better..... But, the 1500 did just fine. It was certainly capable of pulling a 7000lb boat. The Suburban and Tahoe's have essentially the same running gear as the Sierra 1500. Frame is a little different, but that is of no consiquence.

jvbaca
01-31-2011, 06:47 PM
As long as you test drive the x45 and like it, get it! Just be mindful that (as previously stated on here by others) in windy conditions and close quarters it's going to be tricky but you can handle it as long as you take the boating lessons and practice. You can't go wrong and you'll have a boat you can take plenty of friends/family out in and have a great/safe time! :) Practice, practice, practice! Do you have someone consistent to help you trailer/dock your new toy (that's important because teamwork is so much of a help it sets your mind somewhat at ease, if not just more practice!). :)

Gimb
01-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Okay, thank you all for your replies. Looks like I'm going to purchase the x45, I'll post pics when I find the perfect deal :D

thatsmrmastercraft
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Okay, thank you all for your replies. Looks like I'm going to purchase the x45, I'll post pics when I find the perfect deal :D

Enjoy your search for your boat. Looking forward to the pics.

aaron.
02-01-2011, 08:23 AM
good luck shopping! very exciting phase in boat ownership.