PDA

View Full Version : Slalom behind jet powered boat

Age Fighter
01-30-2011, 02:33 AM
There's a bit of a raging debate on another forum about slalom skiing (and other issues) behind jet boats -- like the newer Yamaha 21 and 23 footers. The Yammy kool aid drinkers have infected that forum -- most of whom are on their first boat -- so it's hard to figure out who knows what's going on and who doesn't.

Certainly they won't compete with inboards as far as ski boats go -- and seems to me the pull would be a bit squirrelly -- so has anyone done it?

JLeuck64
01-30-2011, 02:50 AM
First and last time I skied behind a jet boat...
A Sanger with a big block. It had a bump at 75 feet that is much bigger than what we all complain about at 22 off behind tourny boats! Hit the rooster, broke at the waist and was ejected out the front. Remember skipping off the water once maybe twice before my ski caught up with me... wham! Left a nice cut in the forehead and required some stitches to close up...

Jerseydave
01-30-2011, 09:46 AM
I had an 18' Challenger jet boat with a big block chevy. You could slalom behind it but there was a noticeable rooster tail plus you could pull that boat all over the place....boat driver could not hold a straight line at all. Forget skiing the course with it.

Jeff Lyman
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Skied may years behind a 3 person Polaris 1250 jet ski. A freind once suggested it was like pulling on a bungy cord, he nailed it. For sure the jet boats would be similar nothing to pull against. There much easier on your body and makes you look like a good skier.

BORING!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-30-2011, 11:39 AM
First and last time I skied behind a jet boat...
A Sanger with a big block. It had a bump at 75 feet that is much bigger than what we all complain about at 22 off behind tourny boats! Hit the rooster, broke at the waist and was ejected out the front. Remember skipping off the water once maybe twice before my ski caught up with me... wham! Left a nice cut in the forehead and required some stitches to close up...

I had an 18' Challenger jet boat with a big block chevy. You could slalom behind it but there was a noticeable rooster tail plus you could pull that boat all over the place....boat driver could not hold a straight line at all. Forget skiing the course with it.

Skied may years behind a 3 person Polaris 1250 jet ski. A freind once suggested it was like pulling on a bungy cord, he nailed it. For sure the jet boats would be similar nothing to pull against. There much easier on your body and makes you look like a good skier.

BORING!

Well jet boats...............three strikes and you're out.

Jim@BAWS
01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Do you see JETBOATS pulling any events at all???

There is your answer!!!

Jim@BAWS

Age Fighter
01-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Do you see JETBOATS pulling any events at all???

There is your answer!!!

Jim@BAWS

Well with all due respect, that's NOT the answer I was looking for -- because I already knew the "competition ski" answer or even the serious skier answer.

I was looking for the recreational skier answer.

I doubt they're even suitable for the recreational slalom skier -- but since I've never skied one, I was looking for experience based responses.

Kyle
01-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Well I sky skied behind a 08 Yammy last summer. I would rather scratch a tigers jewels with a wire brush than ski behind that boat again. The table was too wide. With twin engines both wakes get effected by the rpm and the shape changes. The speed never maintained. Wake was too tall and like hitting a brick wall for slalom could just look at it. Remember I sky skied. The boat would range -7 to +7 from where u wanted to ski at on spedo. Tracking was not that bad when I drove but I pulled a wakeboarder who got his first board earlier that year. I would bet if you had someone with skill that they could steer the boat just by pulling on the tower and the driver keeping steering wheel locked straight. I did drive the boat and could not maintain speed or rpm with both engines unless at idle or wide open. Parking it was a pain.

Positives about the boat.
The ride in rough water was not that bad.
The speed was fun just cause it's faster than a MC.
It had a tower
I had fun throwing back some beers at the lake

All in all the jet boats are POS turd hounds. I would bet that the skill level of skiing or boarding for an owner of this kind of craft is beginner level.

Jim@BAWS
01-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Well with all due respect, that's NOT the answer I was looking for -- because I already knew the "competition ski" answer or even the serious skier answer.

I was looking for the recreational skier answer.

I doubt they're even suitable for the recreational slalom skier -- but since I've never skied one, I was looking for experience based responses.

No disrespect taken...I have driven a many a jet boat. from the smallest to the largest
TWIN YAMAHA HOs 65 + MPH

Looking at your post..You pretty much answered your own question

Jim@BAWS

medicmoose
01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Well I sky skied behind a 08 Yammy last summer. I would rather scratch a tigers jewels with a wire brush than ski behind that boat again. The table was too wide. With twin engines both wakes get effected by the rpm and the shape changes. The speed never maintained. Wake was too tall and like hitting a brick wall for slalom could just look at it. Remember I sky skied. The boat would range -7 to +7 from where u wanted to ski at on spedo. Tracking was not that bad when I drove but I pulled a wakeboarder who got his first board earlier that year. I would bet if you had someone with skill that they could steer the boat just by pulling on the tower and the driver keeping steering wheel locked straight. I did drive the boat and could not maintain speed or rpm with both engines unless at idle or wide open. Parking it was a pain.

Positives about the boat.
The ride in rough water was not that bad.
The speed was fun just cause it's faster than a MC.
It had a tower
I had fun throwing back some beers at the lake

All in all the jet boats are POS turd hounds. I would bet that the skill level of skiing or boarding for an owner of this kind of craft is beginner level.

I wish people would just say what they really think rather than always beating around the bush!! :D

FourFourty
01-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Jet boats are fun and cheap for someone who is just dipping their feet into boating and watersports. They offer speed and fun for a cheap price (compared to a MC). The newer ones are actually even reliable these days.

I was just getting into boating last year, and I purchased a new Sea-Doo speedster 200 510hp. It was only about 32k brand new, and would do almost 70mph on GPS. It handled like a jetski....very very nimble. The speedster has a very flat bottom hull, so it produces a better ski wake than the other jet boats available. However, the wakeboard wake is terrible. I pulled a very experienced slalom skier behind it, and he eventually ripped my pylon out. No surprise, as it was a very cheesy pylon. Surprisingly, the boat tracked fairly well.

The skier I pulled owns a PS197. Dont mistake what I said above as me thinking that the doo put out a wake like his prostar, because it does not. Not even close. I am simply stating that if you want a good starter boat, A jet boat is an ok boat to do it with. However, like me, you will not want it for long. By the end of last summer, I needed an upgrade, and ordered my MC.

And for what its worth- Given the chance to do it all over again, I would have purchased a new moomba, or a used MC, Malibu, Nautique etc.... I thought I wanted a faster boat. I didnt. The speed of a jet boat is only fun for about the first five minutes. Beyond that, you may as well trade the jet boat for a horse, and then shoot the horse.

milehigh970
01-30-2011, 02:51 PM
The thing i am thinking is how bad you lost it selling that thing after one summer... I can't see them holding resale..but just my thought.

mccobmd
01-30-2011, 03:22 PM
I had a challenger 2000 for 3 years before my x1. If you put the rope length at 95 ft the wake is minimal but the bump is hard. They track similar to most I/O's i've been behind. Mine was a 260 horse single engine. They are light and bouncy. They are better than and I/O and certianly safer since there is no prop. I don't regret my time in it because it was what I could afford to pay cash for at the time. They are low maintainence because mine was a 2 cycle so basically an inboard in the engine compartment. Very dependable, no fuel pump issues. Don't want to go back but if I would have one again before I'd get an I/O. The twin engines are much worse than the single engines. Biggest problem is that they don't plane well below 20mph so wakeboarding can be hard.

Skipper
01-30-2011, 07:18 PM
There's a bit of a raging debate on another forum about slalom skiing (and other issues) behind jet boats -- like the newer Yamaha 21 and 23 footers. The Yammy kool aid drinkers have infected that forum -- most of whom are on their first boat -- so it's hard to figure out who knows what's going on and who doesn't.

Certainly they won't compete with inboards as far as ski boats go -- and seems to me the pull would be a bit squirrelly -- so has anyone done it?

I was growing up in the early 70's at Lake Powell. Back then jet boats ruled the sport boat market on Powell. I skied behind a Tahiti jet boat that sat about eight inches above the surface of the water and had a massive chrome 700hp engine with a tow eye bolted to the intake manifold in the back. It threw a huge rooster tail on the way up. Once on plane it had a tiny, narrow wake but the rooster was brutal. Anytime you throttled down it was a challenge to keep from swamping the boat from behind. I loved that boat!

Last time I was at Powell a friend brought one of those newfangled jet boats that looks like ski boat but is jet powered. It was awful. Huge rooster tail on the way up. The way up took forever. The boat was squirelly as Bill Clinton in a Hooters Restaurant. The only good thing about it was that it could ski back in the shallows out of the wind where I would never run my Prostar.

wheelerlake
01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
We have a 1995 Sugarsand Marine 120hp jet boat bought brand new for $10K. I don't think my hubby ever heard about MC's, just knew I wanted to ski. I though we couldn't afford a MC so went along with it. No prop with the kids in the water but could suck up a ski rope and things into the impeller area faster than you can say "oh, hit", so watch long hair, etc. The kids and I love it-soft pull, not so intimidating to the little ones, awesome flat, soft wake to learn to slalom on. And you get a video teaching you how to submarine it! Forward full speed, throw it into reverse and a wall of water comes over the front of the boat. I "outgrew" it after a few years as the engine didn't have so much power after we got water in it a few times and I gained a few too many pounds:rolleyes: So in '99 or so I found a '89 MC in the paper and took my hubby to look at it "just to see what you get for $11K". He had to call the banker for money as I wouldn't get out of the boat! Bought it before we drove it and haven't looked back since. That prop in the water (and of course that engine) is all the difference. My hubby can feel me tugging at the MC but I don't challenge his driving skills like I did with the jet boat. We still have both boats as the kids still prefer the jet boat to the MC when learning. The jet boat is still a blast, the "fun boat", still doing "seaweed specials" but serious business happens behind the MC!

kevkan
01-30-2011, 09:40 PM
One subject no one has mentioned: Don't those Seadoo and Yamaha jet boats use a boatload of fuel?

Age Fighter
01-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Interesting that the wake comments are all over the board -- from ok at 95 feet -- to nice and flat -- to having a hard rooster tails and/or a tall wall.

maxpower220
01-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I have a friend with a 23' Yamaha. That boat is huge. Recreational slalom means different things to different people. A few things that I noticed. The pull getting up is totally different. The power is there, but it takes some work to get up. Speed control was not that great: I don't know if that is typical or just because he has 2 motors in his boat. The wake was a little less than a similar I/O 23' boat. The table is nothing but turbulence. I have only slalomed behind his boat once. It was not a pleasant experience, but I am spoiled with my boat and a private lake.

FourFourty
01-30-2011, 11:27 PM
One subject no one has mentioned: Don't those Seadoo and Yamaha jet boats use a boatload of fuel?

No, they dont. I will miss that. 510hp and I could tow all afternoon on less than 25 gallons of fuel. 4.2GPH was the highest I ever calculated. Granted it only weighed about 3000lbs, but still, fuel economy was very good. The old 2 strokers were a very different story. I also heard the Yammys were not very good on fuel. not positive about that though.

mccobmd
01-30-2011, 11:47 PM
My challenger got about 5-6 gph same as my X1 but it weighed about 1000lbs less

kevkan
01-30-2011, 11:51 PM
I guess everything is relative. With my '85, I could tow all weekend long with 24 gallons of fuel. With my X-1, full of ballast, I don't use 25 gallons in an afternoon.

FourFourty
01-31-2011, 12:06 AM
I guess everything is relative. With my '85, I could tow all weekend long with 24 gallons of fuel. With my X-1, full of ballast, I don't use 25 gallons in an afternoon.

You are using less than 4GPH towing with your X1?? Keep that boat..... You have a freak of nature there.

Age Fighter
01-31-2011, 11:04 AM
I have a friend with a 23' Yamaha. That boat is huge. Recreational slalom means different things to different people. A few things that I noticed. The pull getting up is totally different. The power is there, but it takes some work to get up. Speed control was not that great: I don't know if that is typical or just because he has 2 motors in his boat. The wake was a little less than a similar I/O 23' boat. The table is nothing but turbulence. I have only slalomed behind his boat once. It was not a pleasant experience, but I am spoiled with my boat and a private lake.

"Recreational" is almost a red flag word now -- sure, it does mean different things, but normally it means the "wake sucks but you're only gonna try it once or twice" and go back to tubing or beer drinking or wave running anyway. It is normally a way to sell or justify a boat that's not suited for water sports. I hear it a lot from jet and IO folks regarding skiing.

To me, "recreational" means I suck, but I don't want a boat/wake that does. I still like to do it and I like conditions to be right -- NOT so I can run the course -- but so I can have fun and get better.

mccobmd
01-31-2011, 02:48 PM
You are using less than 4GPH towing with your X1?? Keep that boat..... You have a freak of nature there.

Second that, My X1 gets 5gph with slalom, wakeboarding and surfing. Happy to say I don't know what is gets pulling a tube:D