PDA

View Full Version : Can water back flow into gas tank through Overflow/breather?

jamisonsbrodie
07-14-2005, 03:19 PM
When heavily loaded for surfing, my ps190 can sit low enough in the corner that the overflow/vent can periodically become submerged. Can water get into the tank from there or is there a check valve inline to avoid this?

6ballsisall
07-14-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't know, I know mine does not have a check valve to prevent this. Only way you would know for sure is if you took the back panel off and looked for a check valve. no check valve=opportunity for water in the tank

erkoehler
07-14-2005, 03:29 PM
That is also ALOT of weight in the boat!!!!

6ballsisall
07-14-2005, 03:34 PM
That is also ALOT of weight in the boat!!!!

I was thinking the same thing!! My breather is about 2 inches below the top of the gunnels!!

erkoehler
07-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Same here! I would be more concerned with sinking the boat rather than water in the gas.....water in the boat would be much worse :eek:

BG1772
07-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I know in my friends '89 that there is not a check valve. He said that the hose goes up high above the tank and then comes back down into the tank. If you had enough pressure coming in through the vent, you could potentially get water in the tank.

Cary K.
07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
I never had a problem in my old 88. I had a fat seat (1100 lbs) and people piled in there, and whenever I got off plane (especially surfing) it would submerge the vent. I had to drive very carefully to not take water over the back. From what I hear, the boat is still running strong to this day.

Thrall
07-14-2005, 05:20 PM
If no check valve, yes it's possible.
I just bought a vent line check valve that prevents gasoline from overflowing out of the vent. Works well, no more gas sloshing out of the vent. Don't know if it works the opposite direction as well.

JEREMY79
07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm getting water in my gas when it rains. I cannot figure out where it is coming from. I think it might be the seal around the cap.

jamisonsbrodie
07-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah, it's a lot of weight, but it seems to handle it just fine. It's just the rear port side that gets low, because that is where we concentrate the weight for surfing, however that is also where the vent is. Like Cary K. said, we have to be careful when backing off, so the wave doesn't come over the back.