PDA

View Full Version : Advice on an 08 X2

davidstan
01-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Anything special besides a look at records for impeller change oil change type stuff on this boat? has 80 hours on MCX so any advice is welcomed. Sorry for double post.

Thrall
01-29-2011, 10:09 AM
No, not much different than your MS 210. Same impeller, same oil filter, 5 qts 15W40 in the engine. Trans fluid is 15W40 as well, takes 2-3 qts if you suck out as much as you can from the filler location. Also has a trans filter that is pretty expensive and reccomended at 100hr intervals although I changed mine out at about 100hrs and it was clean as a whistle. Unless the trans fluid comes out dirty I wouldn't bother with the filter this time around.
Fuel filter is a dealer item as well, in the bottom of the tank on the pump module. Wouldn't bother with that at 80hrs either (my dealer reccomendation).

bturner2
01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm not aware of any real issues with the newer X2s aside from the fuel pump and possibly the rear ballast pumps. With 80 hours both should still be fine. I'd be just looking at condition as you would any other inboard.

I feel I improved on my 07 X2 with some small things like adding a dual battery set up, cleaning up the wiring and adding a new stereo but these were all optional items. I also plan to relocate my rear pumps and upgrade to Star Gazer this spring but again these are optional items.

Don't worry about changing the fuel pump filter now. You'll get to change that when you replace your fuel pump in about 100 hours or when you run the tank below a quarter. Whichever comes first.

Archimedes
01-29-2011, 01:56 PM
The real issue is the price. Whaddya payin'?

davidstan
01-29-2011, 07:12 PM
It's listed at 51k. Is the fuel pump a warranty item and how long is the basic factory warranty besides the hull. Thx for the replies.

Archimedes
01-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Other than $51k's too much for that boat, I got nothing...

bturner2
01-29-2011, 08:24 PM
If you're the second owner you can transfer the original warranty for (I believe) something like $450. Not sure exactly what that covers. I was going to do this on mine but decided against it as I believe with my boat being 2 years old all that would have been covered was the hull.

The whole fuel pump thing is based primarily on running the tank below 1/4 tank and thus overheating and burning up the fuel pump. Do a search on this site on fuel pumps and watch the string of hits. Boofer's thread is very well done and gives you a step by step process on how to repair/replace it yourself. Unless it happens during the covered warranty period don't count on anyone replacing it for free. Several of us that go into open water (large lakes) now carry a spare as when this goes bad (and it will) you're screwed. My 07 X2 has 180 hours on it and I've already had to replace it. The only other item to correct is the rear ballast pumps. There's multiple posts on this also. You'll either have to relocate or reposition the way they're mounted to keep a failed seal from leaking water into the pump shorting out a $250 pump. I also replaced one of these last year and plan to fix this in the spring.

From a price perspective I paid $40k for mine 2 years ago. I don't have the MCX but I do have every other option except heated seats, the boot blaster and the fresh water wash down. Depending on options $51K may be a bit high but it's hard to tell without knowing the exact details of the boat. It's easy to add $10K to one of these boats without breaking a sweat.

davidstan
01-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Thx for that info on the pumps very useful. I won't be paying 51k that's for sure however I do like a low hour boat that has no issues.