PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Teaching my 2 year old.

mrprostar
01-28-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a two year old and I want to teach him how to ski (in any form) this summer. He definitely has the desire. He constantly wants to be in the boat and he gets in the driver's seat when its parked in the garage and looks at me and says "go ski, dada". Anytime he sees a boat he says " SKIIII!". We had him in the tube at a VERY slow speed last year and he seemed indifferent to it. I've been taking him to swim lessons for almost a year now and he will have one more session of 8 classes before the summer. I don't think I would say he could "swim" but he is comfortable in a life jacket and LOVES the water. Anyway, I want to teach him but I don't know where to start. What kind of skis? Rope? Speed? What has worked for you?

scott023
01-28-2011, 01:50 PM
If he can't "swim", he shouldn't be behind the boat on skis at any speed IMO. We've had the same dilemma at our house with our youngest, so we've put a lot of thought into this same subject. I think the childs safety is the most important thing, so we put aside her "want" to wakeboard until we are confident in her ability to protect herself in the water. :twocents:

flipper
01-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Get one of those where the rope goes to the ski itself, the saucer looking thing. I can't remember what they are called. Throw on a life jacket, jump in with him, and get read to do a lot of swimming, but it's well worth it.

flipper
01-28-2011, 01:52 PM
If he can't "swim", he shouldn't be behind the boat on skis at any speed IMO. We've had the same dilemma at our house with our youngest, so we've put a lot of thought into this same subject. I think the childs safety is the most important thing, so we put aside her "want" to wakeboard until we are cinfident in her ability to protect herself in the water. :twocents:

I'd agree, but at the same time on you'll be right there should something happen. I'd do it clost to shore so you can stand and save your self some swimming.

Jim@BAWS
01-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Don't force it...2 is pretty young and you would get upset with yourself if something happened to your child. All 3 of my kids skied behind the boat just before they turned 3. Skies tied together, person in the boat holding it. Give them time to grow into it. Be safe. There are all types of training devices

Good luck and be patient

Jim@BAWS

thatsmrmastercraft
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Our local ski club uses the O'brien Trainer. having two people in the back of the boat- one holding the child in place and one holding onto the Trainer. Driver eases into the throttle and the youngster is up and going. Work up to the child holding the rope with the trainer still next to the boat. Then you can work to having the board behind the boat with an adult holding the rope. Make sure to have an adult assist with the take off in a shallow water start to get going.

Another helpful exercise to prepare the child for their first fall is to have them in the water with their life jacket on and give them a short toss in the air so they land with a splash.

jason95gt
01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
This one is even better!

http://www.ezski.net/

brucemac
01-28-2011, 03:26 PM
swimming lessons and +1 for easy ski.

our 7 year old loves it and our 4 year old took her first super slow set behind it last summer.

that said, it's my opinion if they can't jump off the platform, go completely under water, right themselves and keep themselves afloat with their diggers, they have no business at the end of a line.

macattack
01-28-2011, 03:51 PM
We pulled our young ones on trainer skis around the yard, along the shoreline, across swimming pools, etc before we tried it behind the boat. With all that practice, it was an easy transition to the boat...

coz
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
We pulled our young ones on trainer skis around the yard, along the shoreline, across swimming pools, etc before we tried it behind the boat. With all that practice, it was an easy transition to the boat...

We started my grandson in the pool to feel the pull, then when he was ready he popped right up when he was 3, he's 6 now and rides pretty good, these pics are when he was 3.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/wakeboarding009.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/lake020.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/Lake9-27058.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/Lake9-27060.jpg

east tx skier
01-28-2011, 04:35 PM
You're going to have to break out the check book, but if you can find a zip sled, they are fantastic for that age. Our son was on his at 18 months (with one of us dragging behind him at 5 mph). By age 2.5, he was standing up on it. By age 3.5, he got up on trainer skis. By age 4, he was back to the zip sled with us dragging. By age 5, he was interested in skiing again. As of age 5.5, he can't stop talking about how much he wants to ski.

The swimming is definitely important although I will admit that my son wasn't a "strong" swimmer by the time he took his first ski ride. Obviously, that vest is going to float them, but by no means should you have the rope for those trainer skis attached to the boat. It is designed to be held by an observer.

At this point, he is a good little swimmer and will be enjoying his trainer skis. His little brother almost stood up on the zip sled at age 18 months after first riding it at 16 months (with us in tow). I predict another summer or so of dragging behind the zip sled with my younger one.

ghind
01-29-2011, 01:27 AM
We've had great success with kids by putting a boom bar on the boat, having them hold onto a very, very short handle and having a parent and another person hold them in position.

They should not get wet or even be able to fall off this way.

Parent holds child by the backside and the life jacket handle
Friend sits in front of the boom and holds the skis forward by the tie bar

Kids get used to the position and you go slowly from there.

It helps to have a boat full of kids and start with the most gung ho of them. Once one sees how it is done the rest will line up.

Same trick with kneeboarding. I've attached a movie from a week ago which gives you an idea. This is my 4 year old son on maybe his 10th go ever on anything on the water. For learning I'd use a much shorter rope - we made it longer so he could try side slides

Greg

2RLAKE
01-29-2011, 06:45 AM
I also used the u- shaped ski skimmer and it worked great. My wife I and started them jut off our dock ... One of us would go in the water about 50 ft from the dock and the other woud pull the kid in to the dock ... Just get them used to it.

Once that was mastered, we put the boat in idle with me on the platform with the kid .... Just let them get used to being on the ski. Then I had a rope round the mid section of the boom back to the platform ... Linda had the boat in idle, I had the kid on the platform and then helped them to the side of the boat ... Tremendous speed in idle but they would be skiing.

I have a great picture of my daughter skiing a few days before her 2nd birthday

All kids are different and each will go t their own pace

Above all, make sure they are comfortable in the water

Another thought ... Hook the ski up to your GSP! I used to have one when the kids were little ... That dog would swim forever

Thrall
01-29-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm all about starting the kids early with this stuff. Mine have been snowmobiling with us since they were babies (in a trailer, then riding up front when they were big enough to hang on). However I think kids need to know how to swim before getting behind the boat even with someone in the water with them. If thy get up and ride and fall 100 yds away, you can't swim fast enough to get to them if something goes wrong...........and little kids even if they apepar comfortable floating around in their life jacket can freak out if they wipe out, dunk their head, faceplant, etc. They may end up doing harm to themselves because they'er not old enough to know what to expect. JMO.
I'm of the opinion that kids should be at least 4 or so before being behind the boat. Now pulling them in a pool or near the beach by hand or with a wave runner is a different story.

east tx skier
01-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Another tip for when they are graduating to trainer skis is to pull them around the hard. Those skis don't have much, if any fins on them and slide over the grass easily. Get them into the starting position, have them yell, "driver" or "hit it" or whatever your "go" word is, and start pulling. Teach them the basics on dry land so you're not having to do it for the first time in the water.

tex
01-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Duct taping my son's hands to the rope helped!

Jeff Lyman
01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
We have a friend on our lake that towes hi little 4 or 5 year old daughter behind his 12 foot 15hp alluminum boat. His wife sits in the middle of the fishing boat holding on to the rope with her hands so she can adjust presure instantly. They also use to very small skies tide together with ropes, so cute. Be carefull, I agree above the child should be able to fall off a dock with a life jacket on and handle themselves. We waited until our kids were 7 and 8 for insurance purposes.

cdstukey
01-29-2011, 02:12 PM
+1 on the ez-ski, You can start them right off the platform and just feed out the line as they get comfortable. It will work from zero to about 12 mph. Its like the one piece trainer with an inflatable attached. Can be riden standing or sitting and if they do fall just let go of the rope and it stops right there with the skier. We usually have one person holding the rope and one person ready to jump in if somebody falls, but rarely need it. The one time I did go in, our three year old had already climbed back on before I got to him. I also, pulled him around in the yard before taking hm on the water the first time. Here is a pic from his first time out last year.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/cdstukey/476.jpg

He is already picking out "real" skis for this year when we are in the ski shop.

scubaprsn
01-29-2011, 04:38 PM
My son was skiing at 2. We started him on a knee board with a barefoot boom. Big mistake, he had so much fun he would board until he was so tired he couldn't hang on. Then when he went to skiing it didn't matter what happened he wanted more. Just make sure too make it fun, and they will be addicts for life. He is now 21yrs old and is often called a lake rat!!

gatorguy
01-29-2011, 08:53 PM
I have my 4 boys I'm teaching this summer. 14, 9, & 6 yo twins. This will be their fist summer with the boat. Of all of them the 9 yo is the most apprehensive. But I just know not to presure him because them it becomes a power struggle and he will get his back up and resist just because.

As far as the swimming thing goes. You can never be to careful with your kids life. My kids are all strong swimmers even without a vest, but they can still get scared. Last year we were out with some friends on their tube. It was a huge 4 man disk. We had my 6 yo twins, and their two girls 5 and 8 on the tube at the same time. They were all bunched up at the front of the tube and when the boat started to go the front of the tube submarined. The driver instantly cut the throttle and all the kids were hanging from their handles bobbing in the water like little rats on a sinking ship. The mom of the girls was going ballistic as if here kids had just has a near death encounter. When the kids saw her they all started to cry. None of them would get in the water the rest of the night.

So a good scare could be counter productive. That being said, I wish you the best of luck!

TX.X-30 fan
01-30-2011, 06:32 PM
If he can't "swim", he shouldn't be behind the boat on skis at any speed IMO. We've had the same dilemma at our house with our youngest, so we've put a lot of thought into this same subject. I think the childs safety is the most important thing, so we put aside her "want" to wakeboard until we are confident in her ability to protect herself in the water. :twocents:

Very backward thinking Scot, we started ours reading, piano and violin at 18 mo. He11 by 2 she was doing advanced calculus...........We plan to have her bungee jump with us next year in Wakefield Quebec.........

east tx skier
01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Too late for mine. Their lives have already been risked and they have the bug. :)

In all seriousness, what you decide to do with your kids behind your boat is your boat is your business. None of our decisions should determine yours.

TX.X-30 fan
01-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Too late for mine. Their lives have already been risked and they have the bug. :)

In all seriousness, what you decide to do with your kids behind your boat is your boat is your business. None of our decisions should determine yours.

Wego Kite Tube................64080

Covi
01-30-2011, 08:26 PM

That's funny!

east tx skier
01-30-2011, 09:16 PM

If you want them to be smarter than you, more power to you (and the kite tube). ;)

TX.X-30 fan
01-30-2011, 11:30 PM
If you want them to be smarter than you, more power to you (and the kite tube). ;)

I will take that as a complement...........:D

mrprostar
02-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Hopefully I will be posting pictures of him this summer. Thanks for all of the advice. It is exactly what I was looking for. Obviously I wouldn't put him in any danger. Its just not worth it. At his swim lessons he jumps in and goes under water and can swim to the top, but can't stay there very well yet. He will get there. Thanks, again.

craig3972
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
kids need to be comfortatable by themselves in the water in the middle of the lake with a life jacket on. If kids wont jump out of the boat in the middle of the lake without having somebody there to comfort them, I wouldnt make thier first experience alone in the water, a crash while learning to ski.

DJ 50
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Starting mine last summer at 2 with the EZ ski. Started first pulling by hand along shore line, then behind a wave runner eventually behind the boat at full length. By the end of the summer (at age 3) we had moved onto the u shaped trainer ski that someone already posted. She is still unable to get out of the water on that by herself but if she is assited or we start from the shore she has no problem. When she falls over on that ski it is not a hard crash at all. So far she is loving it.

scott023
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Very backward thinking Scot, we started ours reading, piano and violin at 18 mo. He11 by 2 she was doing advanced calculus...........We plan to have her bungee jump with us next year in Wakefield Quebec.........

Wow. What an enlightening post. Thanks for setting me on the right path Stew.:D:D:D

dstone124
02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I watched the Parks Bonifay documentary the other night. Those crazy kids started skiing early! Parks was the world record holder at 6 mos 29 days! Guess it's all subjective being that the Bonifay's lived at Cypress Gardens and we're practiacally born in the water!
My daughter, our first, was born 3 mos early this past August. She's now 5 mos, (adjusted 2 mos) old and loves to watch ski videos with her dad. We're already practicing pull ups on my chest!
We're very excited about the days you all are describing.
Good luck with your experience!

Jim@BAWS
02-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Here is a GREAT TOOL to use

I can have one shipped if needed

Jim@BAWS

Jim@BAWS
02-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Jim@BAWS

brucemac
02-11-2011, 05:11 PM

Jim@BAWS

:uglyhamme

Jim@BAWS
02-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Guess the joke is on me???????

Jim@BAWS

10ptmust
02-12-2011, 10:46 AM
+1 on the ezski. Started my 3yo on it last year. I can tell you it's better than the way my Dad taught me to ski (lots of swallowed water and snot bubbles).

kbhtjc
02-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I cannot find the picture to post, but we started our little ones at just over a year on the "Zip Sled" as well as a "Ski Bob". The "zip sled" if you can find one is more stable. I would place the sled with the front of it on the swim platform and sit on the back of the sun-pad and hold it with my feet then I would lift the child into a standing position on the sled. My wife would put the boat in gear and I would have about 8' of rope to ease the kids back and they would have a great time. Then I would simply pull the sled back on the platform and place my feet on it and reach out and grab the kids under the arms.
At that length, you are close enough to anticipate any waves, or balance issues.
We then graduated to using training skis. Both my son and daughter were on training skis at 18 months.
We used a different method of getting them up that kept them from getting any water in the face, and no struggling to get up. If needed, I can explain later.

We found that the "o'brien ski skimmer" was too wide for their legs.
The inflatable items, in my opinion, were similar to standing in a covered tube.
Good Luck

mrprostar
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Guess the joke is on me???????

Jim@BAWS

I don't get it either?? Price shipped to 87121?

pram
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
trainer skis and a boom that's all you need

TX.X-30 fan
02-14-2011, 07:17 PM
trainer skis and a boom that's all you need

No beba el agua ..........

pram
02-14-2011, 07:35 PM
remember the cervaza and tamales?

TX.X-30 fan
02-14-2011, 09:16 PM