PDA

View Full Version : started on the trailer (tandem here we come)

Cguse13
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
just waiting on new axles to get here now :(

* well the axles are on, and now so is the tint...on to some fenders

scott023
01-27-2011, 02:26 PM
What's the vessel in the backround?

SteveO
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Cool Project. Take this question from someone who knows very little if anything about welding.... How can you weld the frame ( Isn't a lot of heat, arching, etc. involved) with the boat on the trailer?

Cguse13
01-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Eliminator in the back ground ... No heat from welding will be fine you could put ur hand on the metal 2 or 3 feet back never even know.. Plus boat is insulated by wood bunks. Would preferred to pull the boat but will wait for summer drop it in the lake take trailer in for paint while enjoying couple mid week days on the lake

thatsmrmastercraft
01-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Cool Project. Take this question from someone who knows very little if anything about welding.... How can you weld the frame ( Isn't a lot of heat, arching, etc. involved) with the boat on the trailer?

No big deal to shield the boat from any sparks. Scrap plywood works on small jobs.

Kyle
01-27-2011, 11:38 PM
I take it that your trailer was a single and you are turning it into a tandem. I am very interested in seeing your project and what it turns out looking like. Please take a lot of pictures.

duckguy
01-27-2011, 11:44 PM
cool project, high intensity

Cguse13
01-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Yes that is the plan waiting on new axles .. Going with straight axles in order to lift the trailer as my truck has 8 in lift and will hopefully cut back on the driving final lift should be 2 7/8 when done.

Miss Rita
01-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Going with straight axles in order to lift the trailer as my truck has 8 in lift and will hopefully cut back on the driving final lift should be 2 7/8 when done

What do you mean "cutting back on the driving"?

Of course you realize that with the trailer lifted you'll have to back deeper into the water to load/unload. The higher CG of the boat and trailer will make it more unstable, and you'll have more trouble climbing into it when it's on the trailer.

I'm looking for ways to get my trailer lower. I guess we have different philosophies.

Jim@BAWS
01-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Do you need fenders. I can work on the price

Jim@BAWS

http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3319&cat=500

east tx skier
01-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I take it that your trailer was a single and you are turning it into a tandem. I am very interested in seeing your project and what it turns out looking like. Please take a lot of pictures.

I know a guy locally that had Dorsey convert his single to a tandem (a few months before Dorsey went under). Turned out great. I think there are some issues of payload balancing to consider obviously.

east tx skier
01-30-2011, 10:46 AM
What do you mean "cutting back on the driving"?

Of course you realize that with the trailer lifted you'll have to back deeper into the water to load/unload. The higher CG of the boat and trailer will make it more unstable, and you'll have more trouble climbing into it when it's on the trailer.

I'm looking for ways to get my trailer lower. I guess we have different philosophies.

I put a two inch lift on my old MC single axle trailer and there was no discernible difference on the highway and if I had to back in deeper to get the boat off the trailer, I didn't notice. I know, theoretically, it should feel different, but, in my case, the only difference was that there were fewer instances of the steel rollers tearing up the driveway.

Miss Rita
01-30-2011, 12:24 PM
I doubt you'd noticed the difference just trundling down the highway if the CG was a foot higher. The fact remains, that any instability would be worse with the trailer raised.

With my boat, on the shallow ramp I use the most, I have to back in so that the hitch ball is at waterline before the boat loads/unloads OK. I'm thinking of extending the tongue or lowering the bunks to help alleviate this.

I still wonder what he meant by "cutting back on the driving".

Kyle
01-30-2011, 12:31 PM
I put a two inch lift on my old MC single axle trailer and there was no discernible difference on the highway and if I had to back in deeper to get the boat off the trailer, I didn't notice. I know, theoretically, it should feel different, but, in my case, the only difference was that there were fewer instances of the steel rollers tearing up the driveway.

Did the same. Had a spring place add 2 leafs per side. Lifted 2" because I was sick of tearing to the trailer and my driveway. Not good for the trailer and the scratches on the driveway are tacky. Hauled my boat 5 hours or so to broken bow last year and drove 70 to 80 the whole way. The trailer followed the truck nicely. No sway. I could not tell by lifting it and drivability differences. It just won't scratch the driveways now unless they are really steep.

Cguse13
01-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Cut back on my driving efforts sorry been working 18 hour days and have been a bit loopy ;).. I had Malibu before this boat lifted trailer 2.5 inches was un noticeable to me ... The tandem trailers just so much easier to tow down the road I have reg cab truck short bed and single axles I just find myself chasing the trailer. The person that mentioned extending the tounge had a great idea. Anyone else feel like there boat just sits inches off Thier tailgate? My new axles are just a tad wider too

Miss Rita
01-30-2011, 02:16 PM
And of course you know that a short wheel-base truck with an 8" lift isn't going to be the most stable tow vehicle out there.

If you want stowing stability you need a long wheelbase and low CG on the tow vehicle and trailer.

Cguse13
01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Yes I know... But not trading my truck so need to make trailer work best as possible I did add one ton axles to the truck air bags rear sway bar about a year ago it has helped but this should help aswell. Tandem axle trailers on boats just look better too ;). I don't know why they make the trailers so low as it is ... If u have the slightest slope to ur driveway your hosed. Digging out 2x6s stacking them like a clown. Trying to save your drive way and trailer

Footin
01-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Does this make financial sense? How much is a used tandem trailer?

Cguse13
01-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Dunno how much a used trailer is but I doubt I'll have more than 700 in the conversion

Cguse13
02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
added picture to first post.