PDA

View Full Version : 205v/x2 tower differences 2001-2004

SWeaver
01-26-2011, 08:39 AM
the towers in that year all look similar, but have some minor differences with board racks, etc. Are the additional pieces (racks, speakers, bimini) interchangeable? what are the differences between them?
Thanks!

jamica joe
01-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I would be interested in any pix that you guys have of the 205 V with a tower, and what recommendations for adding one. I have been looking at the "Pro X Series Cross Bar Tower" claims to be the only tower "rated" to pull tubes. I'm not interested in the tube action... I just have 3 sons with the small one 6'3" and 230 lbs. and feel we need a very durable set up.

SWeaver
01-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Our tower is the same as the 2004 x2 tower, you can see what they look like on boattrader.com and search for 2004 x2s, they have every year 205v/x-2/x-1 (same hulls) from 1999-2011 that have factory towers. I have no idea on aftermarket ones.

Now, back to the original question.......

brucemac
01-26-2011, 12:30 PM
new dimension towers would be the closest match to oem for a 205V. if you want to stay as close to stock as possible, i wouldn't put anything else on it. sweaver, if your boat had a tower added after-market it appears from looking at the pics in your other thread that it's a new dimensions tower. the racks are not interchangeable between different years as far as i know. at least not 2003 for sure. i'd suggest contacting ND to see if there's a way to identify. not sure why it matters or what exactly you're trying to do. i don't believe the newer JL tower speakers will work with your tower--at least not the MC OEM JL tower speakers. the mounting hardware won't work. JL makes a coaxial version with the sport grills though that i believe has a universal clamp, but they're pretty spendy. they're sold through JL's distribution channel though, not MC's.

brucemac
01-26-2011, 12:35 PM
i was going to add, that even if that is indeed an OEM MC 2004 tower, you'll still be limited in the way of tower speakers. you'll either have to settle for tower speakers designed to mount to that year tower, or you'll have to buy after market tower speakers with 1 7/8in universial clamps; i.e., wetsounds, bullet, JL branded coaxials, etc. OR pay the premium for the old style 6.5in Clarion or JL speakers from that era. the latter not being the way i'd choose to go based on sound and build quality.

SWeaver
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks, Brucemac, it is a ND tower that was installed by a MC dealer when the boat was bought. Boat was a leftover 2003, and the original buyer opted for a 2004 tower.

It isn't critical right now, but I will need a new cover, and probably add a couple more speakers and lights. I was originally under the impression that the 2001-2004 towers were the same, so any covers or options for a 2001 would fit a 2004. Apparently, I was incorrect, and if/when I go to add features such as a new cover, extra speakers, lights etc, I want to make sure I know what's going on.

Thanks for your help!