PDA

View Full Version : Replace manifold and risers?

jwskier
01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
My boat is a 99 PS205. 1300 hours. I bought the boat 5 years ago with 900 hours. The previous owner ussed the boat in a brackish enviornment, altough i have seen no signs of salt damage. The boat was faithfully flushed. Don't know if the manifolds and risers are original.

In the past few seasons, I've noticed signs of leakage around the riser gaskets and drain plugs. Decided to pull manifolds and risers to see what needs to be replaced. Manifold gasket is in good shape. No leaks there. Riser gasket is shot. My question is how can I tell if I need to replace the manifolds and risers or can I get away with new gaskets? Can they be cleaned and resurfaced. There is corrosion in both, but a dealer told me today that it was normal wear and tear. Any advice?

JLeuck64
01-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Swing by an automotive machine shop and have them take a peek at what ya got. I have exhaust manifolds resurfaced all the time that are warped and it works out fine. The process used is just like a big belt sander so it will also remove minor surface erosion just fine.

Cloaked
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
My boat is a 99 PS205. 1300 hours. I bought the boat 5 years ago with 900 hours. The previous owner ussed the boat in a brackish enviornment, altough i have seen no signs of salt damage. The boat was faithfully flushed. Don't know if the manifolds and risers are original.

In the past few seasons, I've noticed signs of leakage around the riser gaskets and drain plugs. Decided to pull manifolds and risers to see what needs to be replaced. Manifold gasket is in good shape. No leaks there. Riser gasket is shot. My question is how can I tell if I need to replace the manifolds and risers or can I get away with new gaskets? Can they be cleaned and resurfaced. There is corrosion in both, but a dealer told me today that it was normal wear and tear. Any advice?Eleven years and 900 hours on these parts shouldn't be an issue. They should still be solid. Clean the surfaces and replace the gaskets and put it back thgether. Done deal.

matt
02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I was interested in when do you replace them too. How do you tell when they are shot?

AZDave
02-05-2011, 06:14 PM
At this point, remove the risers and inspect. If ok, sand down both surfaces using a flat block, and shop vac as you go. Buy new gaskets, and use Permatex #2. This should take care of your leaks. If it looks really bad on inspection , consider riser replacement. To take it to the next level, remove manifolds and risers, clean and sand all surfaces, and respray with hi temp paint. Consider adding manifold drains, it makes it easier to winterize.

Cloaked
02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
How do you tell when they are shot?When they leak water or exhaust. Internal or external.... As for mainfolds, I'd leave well enough alone until an issue arises. Risers the same. Most will last 30 years and then some, with fresh water use.

I'd not recommend any sealant with the riser gaskets. They are self-sufficient in functionality without another mess of Permatex to clean off later. They are graphite impregnated with stainless. http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0002

mart_it
02-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Been working on the boat lately and decided it was time to remove the manifolds and risers to inspect and refresh.
I've noticed after removing the manifold's that there were no gasket's between the motor and the exhaust manifold's.
The boat is a 91 Prostar with the Indmar 351.
My question, should I buy the PCM gasket's as per SKIDIM sells or should I just re-silicone them around the port's?

Thanks

Luv2Ski
02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Suggest gaskets, sealants make parts hare to take off/clean in the future and in my experience have a increased chance for failure.

milehigh970
02-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Gasket all the way!! You wanna have a boat full of People waiting on you while you scramble to fix what a couple bucks would have took care of for years?

mart_it
02-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
I thought since Indmar doesn't sell the gaskets they must have came out the factory without them.
So I'll just buy the PCM gasket's install them without silicone and torque? Do I have it right?
Does anyone know the torque?

Interesting site I found while searching:
http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Victorian-Marine-Technology/Exhaust-manifold-and-riser-maintenance-3680

mart_it
02-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Just called my local Mastercraft dealer regarding the manifold gasket's.
I was told by the parts advisor that these boats come out the factory without exhaust manifold gasket's.
When asked what I should use to mate them back to the block he suggested using high heat NAPA sealant.

I hope this helps others!