PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Head

wesgardner
07-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Hey All,

After a compression check revealed #3 cylinder had 62 lbs. of pressure on my 454, I took the boat to my mechanic. After removing the heads and sending them off to the shop, apparently one is cracked...to the tune of $1,100...it's a performance head (whatever that means...)

Sound reasonable?

Wes

Andyg
07-14-2005, 12:17 PM
You can get a set of Edelbrock heads fully assembled for $1299. So $1,100 for one head seems high. Go to the below website and look up Edelbrock Marine Big Block Cylinder heads and you can see it yourself.

Performance Parts (http://www.flatlanderracing.com/index.html)

BriEOD
07-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah Skidim has Gt-40 heads for a 351 for like $700 a pop. I can't imagine a 454 $400 more per head.

Storm861triple
07-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Find a new mechanic. That is a total and complete rip. $1100 for one big block stock iron head (there's nothing "performance" about it)??? Boooo! Pisses me off just hearing about it.

If you can't find a more economical solution, I'd agree w/the Edelbrock recomondation; it'll give you about a 50 hp improvement, while also removing 40+ lbs from you boat.

Ask your mechanich why he can't weld the crack? I'd like to hear what he has to say about that...

-Tom

BriEOD
07-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Wes just another thought here. I'd make sure you don't get any performance parts that are aluminum. I assume you do most of your boating on the Severn and that is brackish/salt water. It will eat that aluminum up!

Call Ski DIM and ask them where to get 454 heads. They'll set you straight.

wesgardner
07-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Before I go getting a new mechanic, is it safe to say a crack COULD occur in a head that can't be welded? Assume this is coming from a reputable machine shop...cylinder #3 and #5 were involved - I've not seen the crack so I can't shed any first-hand info on the issue...

I also want a DIRECT replacement - i.e. just purchase one head having to match the other one, correct? I need a bit more info to further describe what is "performance" about what seems to be a "typical" iron head....I don't need more performance from my boat (nor do I want to pay for it)

Lemme see what info I can find out...

Wes

6ballsisall
07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Before I go getting a new mechanic, is it safe to say a crack COULD occur in a head that can't be welded? Assume this is coming from a reputable machine shop...cylinder #3 and #5 were involved - I've not seen the crack so I can't shed any first-hand info on the issue...

I also want a DIRECT replacement - i.e. just purchase one head having to match the other one, correct? I need a bit more info to further describe what is "performance" about what seems to be a "typical" iron head....I don't need more performance form my boat (nor do I want to pay for it)

Lemme see what info I can find out...

Wes
Yes, you can have irreparable cracks or cracks that most people wouldn't try and repair anyway. That price seems really high for just 1 head. As said above you could get a set for about that price. They too would be "bolt on and go" I'd say check into other head options, while you said you don't need the extra power you might be pleasantly suprised by a new set of heads. Also, while it has been done, I wouldn't recommend replacing one head and not the other, it's always best to match everything up IMO.

wesgardner
07-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Hey All,

Just got off the phone w/ skiDIM...they recommend going with what my machine shop found/says....apparently there is a method of welding/repairing cracks but....they are also backing me up on the price +/-...(apparently to match the good head I've got just ain't that easy....typical of my luck)

Can I buy a low-performance or average to OK performance head???

What can I say

6ballsisall
07-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Wes, did you get the new head on yet? How's it running?

Storm861triple
07-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey All,

Just got off the phone w/ skiDIM...they recommend going with what my machine shop found/says....apparently there is a method of welding/repairing cracks but....they are also backing me up on the price +/-...(apparently to match the good head I've got just ain't that easy....typical of my luck)

Can I buy a low-performance or average to OK performance head???

What can I say

What's the casting number on the head, please?

-Tom