PDA

View Full Version : X14V Stereo Help Needed

BIGBADBLUE
01-24-2011, 09:22 AM
I just ordered a new X14V and need some thoughts on the stereo. I am coming from a '94 205 that barely could play the radio so I am new to the stereo thing ...

Some questions:

- I am thinking 2 Wet Sounds Pro 80's on the tower ... do I need 4 or 2 enough
- Do I need to upgrade the in-boat speakers?
- Coming without a sub ... do I need one?
- Does the Clarion standard head unit interface with ipods?
- I know I need to upgrade/add amp's ... thoughts on how muh power and brand?
- I am going to get the spped controled volume

I will have the stero installed for me but I do not want to get cheap gear or get talked into anything that will not be funstional/

We are skiers that our kids are getting into surfing and hydrofoils. They want music they can hear while surfing/wakeboarding/foiling, this is why I am thinking the Wetsounds.

Thanks for any input ....

JohnE
01-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm no expert but everyone with the wetsounds raves about them.

It used to be that a stereo, amp, and sub were standard in the X series. I guess that changed?

BIGBADBLUE
01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
You can now order without which is nice ...

KnoxX2
01-24-2011, 10:05 AM
What are you getting with the boat? I think 2 Pro 80s would be fine. I would also look at the wetsounds amp to push your tower speakers. The in the boat speakers are good. I am running the stock JLs and love them. One thing to think about is to be able to fade/control the volume to the tower speakers. I did this by adding a PAC-1 controller and I love it. I can turn off the volume to the in the boat speakers and just have the sub and tower speakers cranking for the rider. This allows me to hear people in the boat talking to me.

Thrall
01-24-2011, 10:13 AM
So you have a head unit and 4 JL 7.7" cockpit speakers right now?
The cockpit speakers will crank with 100-150W RMS per channel. I have 75W/ch going to my bow speakers and they're plenty loud and clear, but would take more power if I had it, and 150W/ch bridged to the 2 rear cockpit speakers and they sound great.
A good quality 10 or 12" sealed/tuned sub with the appropriate Class D amp will give you alot of bass without having to mess with the tuning of a custom sub install.
Never heard Pro 80s in person, but at 200W RMS/400W peak I can't imagine you'd need more than 2 of them. Pair them with a good quality 2 channel amp that is rated at 150-200W/ch RMS @ 4ohm and they will crank.

Make sure that the power supply and distribution is up to the task of the additional load, ie adequate wiring size, fuse blocks, distribution blocks, 2nd or 3rd battery depending how much you want to sit with the engine off and crank tunes (2 good batteries is enough IMO for what I mentioned above unless you plan on sitting at the sand bar all day with the music loud), charging relay for the batteries, etc.
I personally wouldn't be worried about using marine amps unless your boat is in a humid environment, stored on the lake, etc. If it stays relatively "dry", good quality car audio amps will be fine.

Smoothie
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
The pods on the pro 80s are huge. To be honest I really dont like the way they look on a boat they are really big. However I have only seen them on a 20ft x2. Just did not look right. However if powered properly two should be fine. I run the exile products in my boat and love their stuff. I have 4 XM7's tower speakers on my boat running the harpoon amp. I like the XM7's because of how easily I can remove them one nut and they pop right off so they are not out in the weather or when boat is not in the garage speakers come off in about 3 minutes and are inside. Definitely get a sub. I would get a sub before I got tower speakers probably the single most important addition to my boat. Its a 12" in a sealed box with a 600x1 exile amp running it. Wet sounds put out a great product and people love them. After lots of research I went Exile and just like anything else its subjective but I prefer their product. It would be worth giving Brian at exile a call or shooting him an email. brian.exile@gmail.com or http://www.exilecaraudio.com/marine/

Good luck and enjoy the boat!!!

BIGBADBLUE
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the feedback ... great stuff. I really like the sound of the 80's but they are big and do not look like the factory cans. The factory cans do not sound very good at the end of the line IMO.

mramerman@gmail.com
01-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the club! Feels like we are getting enough x14v regulars on the forum that we might be able to start our own thread!

Love the JL system that came with our boat. We went with two on the tower. They are fine wakeboarding--you can't hear them skiing.

bturner2
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I have the Wet Sounds Double Up package which is a pair of 80's and a pair of 60's running off a 2 channel JL amp. Probably over kill but as tony Stark says overkill has been vastly under rated.

The standard JL speakers in the boat sound great as does the standard JL sub that MasterCraft installs for my use. I would highly recommend a second battery if you're going to upgrade to a two amp system and spend any time at the local sand bar hitting the tunes. I have same dual battery set up as Thrall that automatically adjusts the charging between batteries. It's well worth the investment.

CantRepeat
01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I'll agree to the fact the factory JL 7s are fine. Just make sure they are not all wired to just two channels. I think that brings them down to about 18 watts per speaker. If you get them on their own channel on the six channel amp it should be around 75 watts per speaker and they do sound really good. Same for the 10 inch JL sub, get it some clean power and it sounds great.

Tower speakers, there are few wetsound Pro 80 videos on youtube.com. I think with 200 watts per you would be more then loud enough on some Pro 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rgOtngXvs

I do not like the Clarion head units. I just installed an Alpine CDA 118M with new remotes.

BIGBADBLUE
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I really appreciate the information. This is great.

I wonder if I could use the 60's instead as when I look at the dimensions the 80's are big

Smoothie
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
The other really cool thing is you can turn the XM7's 360 degrees. I do this all the time when we are at our beach face them forward or off the side of the boat. If you are looking at the Pro 60's do yourself a favor try and find someone that has XM7's in my opinion the smoke the pro60s and compete pretty close to the pro 80s. The other thing you will want is some way to control the tower speakers separately. Either the WS420 or just a control knob. I promise I don't get paid by exile but am really happy and dont mind spreading the word. Good luck.

CantRepeat
01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
The other really cool thing is you can turn the XM7's 360 degrees. I do this all the time when we are at our beach face them forward or off the side of the boat. If you are looking at the Pro 60's do yourself a favor try and find someone that has XM7's in my opinion the smoke the pro60s and compete pretty close to the pro 80s. The other thing you will want is some way to control the tower speakers separately. Either the WS420 or just a control knob. I promise I don't get paid by exile but am really happy and dont mind spreading the word. Good luck.

That's the nice thing about the 118M. It has dual volume control so you can put your tower on zone 2 and save the 300 bucks you'd spend on the 420.

EarmarkMarine
01-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Truely, there is no place to go to improve upon the factory JL Audio 7.7s in the boat. There is only the question as to whether they are getting all the power that they deserve. With a dedicated channel of 75 watts to each speaker, these will be great but will handle more.
If you want tower speakers to project to wakerange with any degree of authority and without being overdriven you should really go with HLCDs as offered by WetSounds, Bullet HollowPoint or Exile. But be a little cautious as owners are like those who may drive a Ford, Chevy or Dodge truck. Each professes to have pulled the other truck out of the treads of their tires. The comparisons can get unrealistic pretty quick. We have all three on display side by side. A 6.5" HLCD is a 6.5" HLCD regardless of brand whether the WetSounds Pro60 or the Exile XM7. Slightly different output and slightly different tonal tilt. The winner in one case is the loser in the other so I would say that you aren't going to hear a big difference at 80 feet with the exhaust noise in your face. At rest there will always be a very subjective arguement. But if you are going with a single pair then don't go with anything less than a 7.7or 8-inch HLCD.
For example, you can run a single pair of Pro80s very well with the WetSounds Syn2 or the JL Audio XD400/4 in the two-channel bridged mode. Either will deliver 200 watts which is dead on with the Pro80 rating. The Syn2 will allow you to drive four tower HLCDs as its power expands to a total of 700 watts into a four speaker load. The JL Audio HD750/1 amplifier will run just about any tower speaker combination and delivers 750 watts into any load from 1.5 ohms to 4 ohms and with any supply voltage from 11 volts to 14.4 volts. Very rare that an amplifier can deliver its full rated power under any circumstances. All the fore mentioned amplifiers are highly efficient (WetSounds Class G/H or JL Audo fullrange Class D) and only sip current as compared to conventional amplifiers.
There's a running start.

David
Earmark Marine

CantRepeat
01-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Great post, David.

BIGBADBLUE
01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Truely, there is no place to go to improve upon the factory JL Audio 7.7s in the boat. There is only the question as to whether they are getting all the power that they deserve. With a dedicated channel of 75 watts to each speaker, these will be great but will handle more.
If you want tower speakers to project to wakerange with any degree of authority and without being overdriven you should really go with HLCDs as offered by WetSounds, Bullet HollowPoint or Exile. But be a little cautious as owners are like those who may drive a Ford, Chevy or Dodge truck. Each professes to have pulled the other truck out of the treads of their tires. The comparisons can get unrealistic pretty quick. We have all three on display side by side. A 6.5" HLCD is a 6.5" HLCD regardless of brand whether the WetSounds Pro60 or the Exile XM7. Slightly different output and slightly different tonal tilt. The winner in one case is the loser in the other so I would say that you aren't going to hear a big difference at 80 feet with the exhaust noise in your face. At rest there will always be a very subjective arguement. But if you are going with a single pair then don't go with anything less than a 7.7or 8-inch HLCD.
For example, you can run a single pair of Pro80s very well with the WetSounds Syn2 or the JL Audio XD400/4 in the two-channel bridged mode. Either will deliver 200 watts which is dead on with the Pro80 rating. The Syn2 will allow you to drive four tower HLCDs as its power expands to a total of 700 watts into a four speaker load. The JL Audio HD750/1 amplifier will run just about any tower speaker combination and delivers 750 watts into any load from 1.5 ohms to 4 ohms and with any supply voltage from 11 volts to 14.4 volts. Very rare that an amplifier can deliver its full rated power under any circumstances. All the fore mentioned amplifiers are highly efficient (WetSounds Class G/H or JL Audo fullrange Class D) and only sip current as compared to conventional amplifiers.
There's a running start.

David
Earmark Marine

David - Thanks for the info this was very clear and good data.

Why does not JL offer HLCD? I love the look but the sound at 70 feet is just not clear. Can you run a WS420 with a speed base controller like the HSE revolution as well?

EarmarkMarine
01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
BIGBADBLUE,
Yes you can run the WetSounds EQ with an automatic volume control. The HSE is now out of production so Watersport Innovations' Boost Box remains an option.
I agree that the JL Audio tower speakers sound very accurate at close range but tend to compress and lose the treble as you add distance. Whether or not it ends up being a horn-based speaker I'm sure that JL will eventually address this application with a dedicated product. And, knowing their engineering capabilities when they prioritize something its bound to be outstanding. Wouldn't expect it for this season. For right now the HollowPoint 770 HLCDs are close to a drop-in for the factory pods and with new pods there are a number of good options from at least three sources.

David
Earmark Marine

rgardjr1
01-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Can you run a WS420 with a speed base controller like the HSE revolution as well?

I installed these two components last winter and they work great together. The HSE takes the hassle out of driving and playing with the stereo when you're pulling some one. Really nice if you're going to start hanging a bunch of ear bleeders from the tower.

Smoothie
01-25-2011, 09:40 AM
The Harpoon comes with volume control as well. I like the WS420 for its eq that controls the tower and boat separate. I don't like to listen to music as the artists wants me to hear it. As big of a gimick that the microphone is I really like it. We are constantly teaching new people to ski and wake board and it works great for that. However if you just want to control your tower speaker the Pac LC1 will do it that is what I had before my WS420 all for $14. http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Remote-Amplifier-Level-Controller/dp/B0002J226O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295966236&sr=8-1

I am not near as smart as David but he is right your getting ready to spend some cash try to find a place where you can hear all of them.

To be really honest I don't care what you buy if its WS/Exile Ford or Chevy, MC or CC. But saying a speaker is a speaker no real difference try telling that to a guy that just bought an X14v compared to a moomba or centurion. I would hazzard the guess that his x14 will smoke the other two. I was just giving my experience in my search.