PDA

View Full Version : Can you hear you speakers while boarding

samgreazy
01-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey I am looking to upgrade my tower speakers from the stock clarion ones from 2002 can you all with the jl's that come stock on the newer mc's hear them while your boarding ??? I want something loud enough I can hear but they don't have to be annoyingly loud

Jerseydave
01-23-2011, 08:41 PM
stock JL's (4) on the tower of my '05 X-star. They were difficult to hear with the stock amp so I replaced it with an amp that gives me twice the power to those speakers. Now the whole system sounds much better and I can fade more sound to the tower and hear it while riding.

With that said, my buddy's X-1 has 2 Wetsounds on his tower and they really throw the sound back! NVS makes a similar speaker made to project sound much better than conventional speakers like the JL's.

If I had a bare tower with no cans, I would lean toward the NVS speakers. Just my opinion.

josepcedwards
01-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Hey I am looking to upgrade my tower speakers from the stock clarion ones from 2002 can you all with the jl's that come stock on the newer mc's hear them while your boarding ??? I want something loud enough I can hear but they don't have to be annoyingly loud

JL is the way to go but you will pay for them. My GF has a 05 X-10 with the factory 2 on the tower and its just not loud enough. Their are cheaper speakers that have the same sound if you are on a budget.

76S&S
01-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Not yet, but as soon as I install the Wet Sound Pro 80's that Santa bought us I will be able to.

aaron.
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Not yet, but as soon as I install the Wet Sound Pro 80's that Santa bought us I will be able to.

nice. you won't be disappointed. those speakers are bad ***

rem_pss308
01-24-2011, 02:41 PM
I have the wet sounds threesome, and You can clearly hear it at 80' back

vision
01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
We took the FM transmitter and receiver out of a pair of wireless home headphones, and placed the receiver in a water proof case that the rider wears under their vest. We then connected the transmitter to a Y splitter cable from an iPod so both the stereo in the boat and the wireless head phones were receiving the same signal. Worked great except the music would cut out when the rider fell as the connection between the headphones and the receiver would short. But the music would start back up as soon as you came out of the water.

Some one needs to make a vest that has a FM receiver built in and a transmitter you can add to your boat stereo. That way, you do not have to blast your music over the entire lake just so the rider can hear.

EarmarkMarine
01-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Sam,
One pair of properly powered WetSounds Pro80s will easily get the job done at wake range. Anything larger will be icing on the cake. WetSounds is your line-up for maximum output. If you want great projection without over-driving the speaker into distortion then you need a speaker with lots of surface area. So I would consider nothing less than a 7.7-inch speaker if running a single pair. An HLCD is designed for this function as it has the extra amplitude and a bit of high frequency bias to cut through the distance and exhaust noise. You might look at the Bullet HollowPoint 770 HLCD for a very powerful but compact tower speaker that has a slightly warmer texture than is associated with HLCDs. There is nothing that will do the job as a retrofit in the factory 6 1/2-inch pods that are undersized to boot. As long as you are going with a different pod go with an HLCD rather than a conventional coaxial.

David
Earmark Marine

2RLAKE
01-24-2011, 07:34 PM
???? what??? I couldn't hear you

Age Fighter
01-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Some one needs to make a vest that has a FM receiver built in and a transmitter you can add to your boat stereo. That way, you do not have to blast your music over the entire lake just so the rider can hear.

Well darn, I thought the idea was to annoy others on the lake -- :D

Actually, your receiver vest idea is interesting.

TallRedRider
01-25-2011, 11:18 AM
They do make a waterproof ipod, and Liquid Force, (IIRC) makes a life vest with a tiny pocket for it. Then the rider can listen to what they want, and the boat peeps can listen to what they want. Problem solved...except then the other people on the lake don't get to hear how cool I am.

Skipper
01-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Oh yeah, I can hear the speakers....from miles away. I think speakers are really just a safety device to warn other boaters that a boarder is approaching and to seek shelter from the ginormous wakes. But I don't think the guy boarding can hear anything but the tired engine struggling from pushing a huge boat filled to the gunnels with water, beer, and strippers.

vision
01-25-2011, 10:40 PM
But I don't think the guy boarding can hear anything but the tired engine struggling from pushing a huge boat filled to the gunnels with water, beer, and strippers.

Strippers! I am clearly using the incorrect type of ballast...