PDA

View Full Version : Best Slalom wake for V drive

moodys
01-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Please Help!

I am not looking for the perfect slalom wake but would like a decent one. I am not that great. The best I ever ran was 22 off @ 34 mph, and that was along time ago. I think most of the time I just go at 15 off @ 32 mph. which is what I am looking for. I use to own a 1990 Ski Brendella open bow and it had a decent wake for me. I just sold my 1991 MariStar 240SC and the slalom wake was hugh and could not ski slalom at all.

I am looking for a v drive under 20k so late 90s or early 00s. I prefer MS but would possibly look at other brands if there was no wood in the boat. I am just not sure when some of the others stopped using wood.

I really appreciate any input at all. If you have gotten behind any v drive to slalom I would love to hear how the wake was for the skiing I am doing.

I am not worried how big the wake will be for wakeboard, I just like the seating for family in the boat.

Thank you!!!

KnoxX2
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
I see your in Tampa. You need to talk to Jim at Bay Area Watersports. He could help you find a boat that will fit your needs and price. Jim is a great guy and runs a honest dealership.

That said I think you need to look at the 209 or maybe even the early X-star. Which is now the X-1 hull. If you wee going with a new boat I would say the X14V, however it seems this is not the case. My question to you is, why the v drive and not a DD?

moodys
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
KnoxX2 thanks for the reply,

I like the seating for the family with the v drive. I have a couple of small kids and also would sometimes like to take alot of people on the boat sometimes. Wife really like the sundeck on them. I was thinking about an early x star. Have you ever slalom behind one.

I have been looking for almost a year and would really like to buy something this winter.

The boat that keeps popping up for sale are the 205 in my price range. which I guess if I get a very late 90s it does have somewhat of a sundeck on the back.

KnoxX2
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I have never slalomed behind the early X-star/X1! However I have wake boarded behind one and I have spent some time in one. The boat has a great layout and it is very versatile for many sports. Based on what you have said in your first post I think that this would be the best boat for you. Be patient and talk to Jim. He has been around A LONG TIME (Old Joke). He has the resources to find the right boat for you and in your price range.

ski/hunt
01-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I second that! Call Jim great guy!

vision
01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
The 205V is the boat you want in my opinion. The 205V, orig X-star, orig X2 (04 and 05), and current X1 are the same hull. Many available at your price point.

T-bone
01-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi Moodys - I have a 2000 X-Star (current X-1) that I now primarily ski behind. We bought the boat new and used it mostly to wakeboard for the first 6 or 7 years. The older I get, the less I wakeboard, so the last 3 or 4 years I've used it mostly to ski the course.

I've skiied in a number of INT events behind either a Malibu Response, 197, or Nautique. I personally like the X-1 wake better than that of the new Response. It's much softer and you don't get the double bump that seems to throw me off with the new Response.

As long as you ski above 32 mph and don't have a bunch of people in the boat, the wake is really not bad. I ski at 34 mph and it's just my wife driving. I add a little weight under the passenger's seat to level out the wake.

After skiing behind almost every new ski boat out there, my personal best thru the coarse is still behind my boat. Maybe you just get used to the wake, but I like it. I've contemplated trading in on a new 197, but I really love the layout of the X-1 and we still do some wakeboarding and surfing now and then. It's tough to beat the wakeboard wake when loaded properly and it has a pretty good surf wake as well.

mccobmd
01-24-2011, 12:11 AM
I have the x1 and it is average from 25 to 30, good 30 to 32, very good 32-34, I'm sure even better above 34 but I don't go that fast. I haven't found anything this hull does poorly. The 310HP engine is plenty but reprop for more than 2000lbs ballast.

moodys
01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Thank you for everyones replys!!!!
Well it looks like the boat to get is the early xstar. Am I correct that the wrap around bench did not come out until 2000.

A couple of more questions.

What is the difference between the PS 205V and the Xstar? I also think the 1999 MariStar 205VRS is the same hull. What is the difference there?

These should fit in a 22 foot garage as well with the swing away tongue....right?

Also just one more question. If I decided to take this boat in the always dreaded saltwater... is there a way to make it a closed cooling system like the SS series from MS? Is it even worth it? Or just stay away from salt.

Now if I can just find one of these boats in my price range. Seems like all the ones I am finding they are asking about 5K over the NADA price.

Again thank you all for your responses!!!!!

Age Fighter
01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
never ridden one, but the X 14 V has a lot of followers who slalom -- and the promotional video looked impressive. I'm sure some of them will chime in and likely some of them have slalomed other V drives as well to compare.

Patrick Hardy
01-29-2011, 04:43 PM
What is the difference between the PS 205V and the Xstar? I also think the 1999 MariStar 205VRS is the same hull. What is the difference there?

I have skied behind both and they are OK for long line lengths @ 32 to 34 MPH. If you ski in open water and occasionally in a course at those speeds and length, then either boat is good for you.

But if you want to progress and or ski at shorter line lengths and 34 to 36 MPH, IMHO look at different MS models. The spray at shorter lengths and faster speeds is brutal...Eye protection bad.

Eric2010MCX2
01-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Our 2010 X2 has a pretty good slalom wake if you put the wakeplate all the way down. Almost completely flat at ab 32mph

Age Fighter
01-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Our 2010 X2 has a pretty good slalom wake if you put the wakeplate all the way down. Almost completely flat at ab 32mph

That's amazing, cuz the X2 wake without a plate is ugly. What line length?

Eric2010MCX2
01-31-2011, 12:21 AM
That's amazing, cuz the X2 wake without a plate is ugly. What line length?

anywhere from 65' to 75'. just my Dad and little sister slaloming behind it, both rec skiers, although Dad's been slaloming for at least 45 years.

the plate makes all the difference in the world.

Age Fighter
01-31-2011, 11:09 AM
anywhere from 65' to 75'. just my Dad and little sister slaloming behind it, both rec skiers, although Dad's been slaloming for at least 45 years.

the plate makes all the difference in the world.

If it can do that for an X-2 -- then I am really jacked to try out my new plate (X14DD) this spring. I should be skiing on butter.

BTW, that should make the X-2 a really versatile boat. I was amazed at the room for a 20 footer. I test drove one several years ago -- but passed after seeing the wake. It was like one year before MC went aggressive with the plates.

ksdaoski
01-31-2011, 11:13 AM
It was like one year before MC went aggressive with the plates.

I seem to recall a few having the mentality, "If they design the hull correctly, no need to tack on band-aides", when referencing other mfgs with various wake plates.

Funny how times have changed!

ShawnB
01-31-2011, 11:24 AM
I seem to recall a few having the mentality, "If they design the hull correctly, no need to tack on band-aides", when referencing other mfgs with various wake plates.

The market requires a hull to be versatile but there's only so much hydrodynamics can do. Customers want a 100+" beam and rough water handling. They also want to be able to slalom sometimes. Something had to give. I'm glad MC recognized this and incorporated the add-ons. Now if they decide to drop ballast tanks and install a wedge, I'll be more than a little disappointed.

Age Fighter
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM

That did indeed seem to be the mentality. Then someone woke up and realized that plates allow the hull to "change shapes" effectively to match the conditions and desired function -- making a well designed hull more versatile -- and thus superior -- by definition.

At that point, the mindset changed for the better. Flat out made the X-2 (and other models) much better boats than they are without plates. Period.

Center console builders put even more research into hull designs that inboard tow boat builders I think -- with all of the arrogance that goes with a great hull design. Yet they all add trim tabs to their hulls and have for many years.

ksdaoski
01-31-2011, 12:07 PM
At that point, the mindset changed for the better. Flat out made the X-2 (and other models) much better boats than they are without plates. Period.

Totally agree, 100%. Sometimes, have to lay off the kool aide, and understand the current models and the mfgs aren't 100% perfect-

ShamrockIV
02-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a friend that slaloms alot. he loves the x14.

sully
02-02-2011, 07:44 PM
The Maristar 210's had pretty ski wake's. even better when the plate was added.