PDA

View Full Version : Registers 1 hour every time I turn the key??

BigWilson
01-22-2011, 11:33 PM
My X-15 registers an hour every time I turn the key on. We cut the engine every time someone wants to get in/out of the boat for safety purposes. Over the course of the summer it has really racked up some hours and doesn't really reflect the true "run time" of my engine. The hours reading is a little misleading don't you think? Is it normal to read an hour every time you turn key? Or is this a really dumb question?? Thanks!

Archimedes
01-23-2011, 12:12 AM
That's wacky. Should not be doing that.

JohnE
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Agreed shouldn't do that. If it did my boat would have a few thousand hours on it I imagine.

03geetee
01-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Agreed shouldn't do that. If it did my boat would have a few thousand hours on it I imagine.

LOL!

Sounds like a defective meter that is tripping, or wired wrong in a way that it activates off the key on ignition wire.

JTR

atlfootr
01-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Turning the key adds 1 hour on the meter of every key turn, that can't be good :noface: !
I'd call Jim @ BAWS on this one, he personally may know the MC Dealership in your area that could trouble shoot this issue,
maybe even for free. :rolleyes:

James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer
www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com (http://www.bayareawatersports.com/)
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)

FrankSchwab
01-23-2011, 01:26 PM
The engine computer should have the correct engine hours stored in it; get the meter replaced, get the dealer to write down how many hours the ECU showed when the new meter was put it, and go skiing.

kevkan
01-24-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't even understand how this could happen. The "engine hour" meter is essentially a stop watch, that runs when it gets 12 volts. How/why would it be rigged to get 12 volts for an hour after each time the ignition is turned on?

I don't buy this story.

FrankSchwab
01-24-2011, 02:46 AM
I think he's saying that just turning on the power causes an hour to click by on the hour meter, not that it actually runs for an hour.

frosty
01-24-2011, 02:57 AM
My X-15 registers an hour every time I turn the key on.

I've been biting my tongue on this one...
Don't be offended... :D

An hour, or Hobbs, meter measures time in hours and tenths of hours...
Are you reading the last digit on the right as 1/10 of an hour? :o

Sorry, I couldn't help wondering. :rolleyes:

David

milkmania
01-24-2011, 08:43 AM
the way I read it.....
I'm guessing it's a digital hour meter, and he's running for 2 hours, shut it off, restart and the thing resets and shows 1 hour, rinse & repeat

other than that, I dunno