PDA

View Full Version : Zip Sled

jimmer2880
07-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Hey everyone... I know a couple folks on here are looking for one. A buddy of mine just found one & is looking to part with it. He's looking to get "a case of beer" out of it.

Anyone interested?

Here's a pic of the one I own. Absolutely the best for teaching the youngest of skiers. It also has a handle on it so they can stand up on it. This is what I learned on 30 years ago. They haven't made them in forever. A bunch of them were blue & were called Zip Sled. The orange ones are the same (I believe), but called Bob Sked.

EDIT - DOH! - forgot to include the PIC.. here it is.

bradamerry
07-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Yes, I am.. But I think Doug may have asked first, about 3000 post ago. :purplaugh

Where does he live??

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 10:33 AM
True that. What kind of beer would he like. PM me his email.

The blue ones were the "Admiral Zip Sled."

Not sure about the orange one, but the orange is what I learned on. Love 'em because they have the side handles. :worthy:

jimmer2880
07-14-2005, 11:31 AM
BriEOD jumped first. It's probably gone if we can work out logistics.

On a side note, check out:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1781182&cp=712859.970038.1346880&parentPage=family

They don't have side handles, but still relatively close in concept. I have no idea how well they work.

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Good for you, Brian. You'll love it. Best transition tool to skiing I can think of. I've seen the soft ones before, but don't think they'll measure up in the stability realm. We've got access to the Admiral 'til I find another one.

If anyone out there has any leads, please don't hesitate to let me know.

mattsn
07-14-2005, 03:07 PM
I have one my grandkids, I am 62 and still occassionaly ski, that they no longer use. It is the rigid blue model.

bradamerry
07-14-2005, 03:16 PM
I have one my grandkids, I am 62 and still occassionaly ski, that they no longer use. It is the rigid blue model.
I would like one for my little girl.. When she is finished with it Doug could have it for his little one. About one summer is all I need and that should be about right for Doug!

jraben8
07-14-2005, 04:06 PM
I for one would love to find one of these for my youngest that will turn 3 next month. If we have any extras, please pm me.

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Go for it Brad, that sounds like a plan. Thanks, Mattsn.

bradamerry
07-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Go for it Brad, that sounds like a plan. Thanks, Mattsn.
I like having plans, we could just pass it around the board, as the kids out grow of it!!!!

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Works for me. I've said it before, I'll pull it over a tube any day of the week. And the kiddos love it!

T Scott
07-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I know it dosen't have the same antique look or feel of the original "Zip Sled", but this is what I taught my son and nephews to ski on. They are available at overtons for $99.99 It is real easy to use and most kids get up on their first try.

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 05:06 PM
I've considered those, Tscot, but they don't have the floatation of the zipsled (or at least they don't appear to). What I like about the zip sled is that the kid can start out on his knees and progress to standing up.

My niece got on a zip sled for the first time last summer and we burned about a half tank of gass dragging her around the lake. This summer, she stood up on it, rode it for about ten minutes and declared that she was ready for trainer skis.

Got up on her second try.

It still looks like a good training tool, but just isn't what I'm looking for. Until I find one, I'll keep using my father-in-law's.

jmo_54729
07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
I have the old blue model from the early 1970s. My 14 year old daughter has Down Syndrome and she cannot ski (yet),
but she loves that zip sled. Much more skill and balance
involved than laying on a tube. We've gotton hundreds of hours of use out of it. I'm not willing to part with it. It's almost an
antique!

Maybe check E-bay, or Google.

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 05:37 PM
They're great and they don't pop up for sale too often. The one we use now is the blue "Admiral Zipsled," but I've really got my eye out for an orange one as pictured above. Wish they still made them.

Double Overhead
07-14-2005, 05:39 PM
There has to be someone around here that has the connections to get these produced. A few months ago I was telling my wife how I learned on this orange board with handles. Turns out she learned on the same thing when she was little. I am sure it was the zip sled. I have seen a large volume of people asking about these and it sounds like it could be profitable if someone were to make them and sell them. I have been in the market for one but they are nowhere to be found. Please someone make these already!

east tx skier
07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
On the waterskimag board sometime last year, 6balls (not sure if it's the same one that posts here (there are apparently two of them)) said he was talking to a local plastics company who was coming to look at his Admiral Zip sled (not the orange one, the blue one w/o handles).

Schliterbahn in New Braunfels, TX had hundreds of the orange ones that they used to slide down a water slide and across a water tank. I contacted them last year and they destroyed them all when they dismantled the ride.

If anyone wants to run with this one, depending on price, I'd buy one. The original blue ones were made by the General Foam Plastics Co. in Norfolk, VA.

sizzler
07-15-2005, 10:53 AM
careful....it sounds like a group buy

east tx skier
07-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Really more of an inquiry. ;)

ski_king
07-22-2005, 09:53 PM
I found this ad in the Fall 79 issue of Spray Magazine.
I thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

east tx skier
07-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks pslot! Very cool

jimmer2880
07-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Very cool. Thanks!

ski_king
07-25-2005, 07:34 AM
The guy in the middle makes it look like fun!

Bill14
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I pulled up zip sled on the net and came up with your group. I learned to ski on one over 25 yrs ago and have a 2 yr old I want to teach. Has anyone figured out a way to get them made or a place to buy them? Other than at a lucky garage sale.

east tx skier
08-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Nope, just gotta watch the net/grage sales. Welcome to the forum, Bill.

ski_king
08-12-2005, 03:23 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but it is close.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HOBIE-TRAINING-WATER-SKIS-SLED-1-PIECE-AGES-8-UNDER_W0QQitemZ7174444984QQcategoryZ71173QQtcZphot oQQcmdZViewItem

jimmer2880
08-14-2005, 07:30 PM
BriEOD, I hope you got the sled by now. It shipped over a week ago.

BriEOD
08-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah I got it Jimmer. I sent you an email. Thanks!!

milkmania
08-15-2005, 12:30 AM
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but it is close.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HOBIE-TRAINING-WATER-SKIS-SLED-1-PIECE-AGES-8-UNDER_W0QQitemZ7174444984QQcategoryZ71173QQtcZphot oQQcmdZViewItem

that's the exact same one I've got....
works great

milkmania
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Yeah I got it Jimmer. I sent you an email. Thanks!!

Brian,
could you get us some detailed pictures of this zip sled?
seems like we could find some sort of manufacturer to bring out the old molds:confused:

besides, since the forum update, all the pics are gone

jimmer2880
08-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Here you go....

Mine is Orange & it's actually called a Bob-Sked. But - I've been told it's identical to the Zip-Sled except for it's color.

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Brian,
could you get us some detailed pictures of this zip sled?
seems like we could find some sort of manufacturer to bring out the old molds:confused:

besides, since the forum update, all the pics are gone

Sure, the lighting wasn't so great on these but I think you get the picture (no pun intended).

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Second one

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Third one...

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Last one...

jimmer2880
08-15-2005, 11:02 AM
What brian's pic's don't show is the handle that's missing on his (actually, you can see the end-caps).

Thanks Bri - I got the picture (pun intended)

east tx skier
08-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Brian, you're going to have such a good time with it!

east tx skier
02-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Just nosing around on google and found this. Thought it was neat. The first one (Patent 1) looks more like the old Admiral/Captain Zip Sled. There is another that looks like a pair of skis that we also grew up using (labeled Patent 2 below). The one labeled "Patent 3" was the closest I could find to the orange Bob Skeds pictured above (and of which I finally now have in yellow).

Patent 1 (http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT3384910&id=0AdgAAAAEBAJ&dq=zip+sled&jtp=1)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/ZipSledAd.jpg

Patent 2 (http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPATD255820&id=2wI-AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4)

It's the one on the right.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/ZipSledsnohandsearly1980sLBJ.jpg

Patent 3 (http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPATD216445&id=m1R1AAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=water+sled)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/DougonZipSledBobSkedearly1980sLBJ.jpg

BriEOD
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Is that you in patent 3 Doug?

east tx skier
02-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Yup. That's fat little Dougie!

Cameron now stands on ours and shakes the rope. Who needs a lake!

BriEOD
02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Dude, I had the same life jacket when I was a lil' dude.

east tx skier
02-21-2007, 11:36 PM
She's a beaut'. I think the guy had just upgraded from the life belt.

skibrain
02-25-2007, 08:22 AM
I made a plywood aquaplane for my kids 10 yrs ago. For the little kids we start them standing up holding the rope. About 18" of water with the back end resting on the bottom of the lake. No-wake speed will plane most 5-6 yr olds (I could pull them by hand along the shore and get them to plane). Adults at about 11-13 mph with very low hp. required.

I made it 32" wide x 60" long. But for tots it could be smaller. Let me know if you want more details.

BriEOD
02-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Got a photo?

skibrain
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Here is a shot of my 5 yr old son on it (nine years ago). Note that it is planing long before he's reached the prop wash. Since the aquaplane is tied to the boat (although a spotter could hold that end I suppose) you need to be careful once the rider is off.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/5801146/85472320.jpg

Same son on it a couple years ago.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/5801146/91513918.jpg

My daughter on a similar one that my nephew made.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/5801146/137615074.jpg

Your's truly about 8 yrs ago. Nice tight trunks eh?

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/5801146/85472340.jpg

It doesn't see a lot of action now that the whole clan is slalom skiing - and for rowdy action the tube/tubes are hard to beat. However ANYONE can see immediate success on the aquaplane. 10-15 hp will pull adults easily.

east tx skier
02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Great pictures. My son has been riding his zip sled around the living room on the carpet. Not quite old enough for on the water action yet, but he gets excited every time he sees it.

74stars
02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Anyone else out there ever have one that liked to sink? I haven't though about the death-sled for a long time. I remember as a kid our blue one had a leak in it somewhere and would take on a little water while riding it. We would ride that thing for hours- You had to be careful though, once it reached about half full it would dive like a deep water plug- with out warning. I can't tell you how many times that thing scared me as it began to go down. I rode it to the bottom a couple of times (proabably no more than 6-7 feet) and I remember floating back up covered in silt and muck. My dad would haul that S.O.B. up on to the transom and let it "pee", throw it back in and go again... I thought I had fully repressed that childhood terror but it is all coming back to me now. Great.

loeweb
02-26-2007, 01:12 PM
My family, like a lot of families had one of these too. I think the last time we used it I was around 5 or 6, and ended up riding it about ten feet down to the bottom of the lake. We still talk about how it came up muddy! Great times from what I remember though. I'm in too if anyone has leads to get one, or even a group buy if someone can get them made. Like Doug, ours looked like two molded skis with a platform between them, no handles. Very cool!

Someone's gotta have access to some molding equipment don't they?

I think from what I'm hearing there is enough interest to make a few test runs at least!

east tx skier
02-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Anyone else out there ever have one that liked to sink? I haven't though about the death-sled for a long time. I remember as a kid our blue one had a leak in it somewhere and would take on a little water while riding it. We would ride that thing for hours- You had to be careful though, once it reached about half full it would dive like a deep water plug- with out warning. I can't tell you how many times that thing scared me as it began to go down. I rode it to the bottom a couple of times (proabably no more than 6-7 feet) and I remember floating back up covered in silt and muck. My dad would haul that S.O.B. up on to the transom and let it "pee", throw it back in and go again... I thought I had fully repressed that childhood terror but it is all coming back to me now. Great.

I think they're supposed to get some water in them so that when they're pulled behind the boat, the water shifts to the back and makes them easy to control. After a while, I could see too much water being a problem though.

east tx skier
02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
My family, like a lot of families had one of these too. I think the last time we used it I was around 5 or 6, and ended up riding it about ten feet down to the bottom of the lake. We still talk about how it came up muddy! Great times from what I remember though. I'm in too if anyone has leads to get one, or even a group buy if someone can get them made. Like Doug, ours looked like two molded skis with a platform between them, no handles. Very cool!

Someone's gotta have access to some molding equipment don't they?

I think from what I'm hearing there is enough interest to make a few test runs at least!

Well, I just found my second one on ebay (yellow bob sked like the first). This one had the original handle and instruction/warning sticker still intact. I'm always on the look out for more to rescue (we've got a lot of water crazy kids in the family).

BriEOD
02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Nice photos!

Hoosier Bob
02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
So I can get a case of beer for every Zip Sled I can find?:confused: That sounds like a career move for sure!Hey everyone... I know a couple folks on here are looking for one. A buddy of mine just found one & is looking to part with it. He's looking to get "a case of beer" out of it.

Anyone interested?

Here's a pic of the one I own. Absolutely the best for teaching the youngest of skiers. It also has a handle on it so they can stand up on it. This is what I learned on 30 years ago. They haven't made them in forever. A bunch of them were blue & were called Zip Sled. The orange ones are the same (I believe), but called Bob Sked.

EDIT - DOH! - forgot to include the PIC.. here it is.

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
So I can get a case of beer for every Zip Sled I can find?:confused: That sounds like a career move for sure!

Yes and Yes. Name the beer and I'll trade it for another sled.

BriEOD
03-11-2007, 05:30 PM
No skiing today, but some training. 2 buoys at .5mph.

dapicatti
03-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Looks like fun. I miss summer.

jzpatterson
08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Looking to purchase Zip Sled or Bob Sked for my 1-year old baby boy to get accustomed to the water...taking him back to my childhood home in Missouri from California...please let me know if you have any leads! Thank you!

east tx skier
08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Looking to purchase Zip Sled or Bob Sked for my 1-year old baby boy to get accustomed to the water...taking him back to my childhood home in Missouri from California...please let me know if you have any leads! Thank you!

There have been about four on ebay in the last two or three months. They have gone for between $150 and $350 each depending on brand and condition. The blue ones seem to pull the most money though I think the ones like Brian and I have ("Bob Sked") are better designs with the handles, etc. The one that went for $150 last week looked like a pair of pontoon skis with a large center section. I've only seen one of these before (when I was a kid skiing on something similar).

You just need to keep your eyes peeled. It took me four years, but I found two within a couple of months and paid $19 each plus shipping for them. Our son (and all of his cousins absolutely love them).

chudson
08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
A couple of other places to check for zip sleds are "play it again" and "ski it again".

http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations.aspx

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php

I checked "ski it again" and all they have right now are the 2007 Gladiator Spinning Tube Of Death and the Sportsstuff Wego Kite Tube, just what a parent wants to start their toodler out on!!! :rolleyes:
Goodluck!!!

ShamrockIV
08-12-2008, 11:16 AM
So I can get a case of beer for every Zip Sled I can find?:confused: That sounds like a career move for sure!

sounds good to me my kids would like one i am sure. and hey all i need is like 4 more things in boat!!! lol

captain planet
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
You mean to tell me that nobody has the original blue "Admiral" Zip-Sled? Between casx2 and I we have 2 of them.

Both my kids have rode on their knees. My daughter will stand up the next time out because she is ready, my son is just getting used to riding it at this point.

east tx skier
08-12-2008, 12:32 PM
You mean to tell me that nobody has the original blue "Admiral" Zip-Sled? Between casx2 and I we have 2 of them.

Both my kids have rode on their knees. My daughter will stand up the next time out because she is ready, my son is just getting used to riding it at this point.

My father-in-law has a blue "Admiral." My son just rode all over the lake on it this weekend. My son stood up without much prompting about 6 months ago (he turned 3 yesterday). He still has a zip sled buddy dragging along behind him though.

/BTW, saw a blue "Captain" for sale this summer, too. First one of those I've seen.

jwroblew
08-12-2008, 01:31 PM
My parents have one of the blue ones, original owners with the box still. The got rid of their boat before I got a chance to ride it. My son road it when he was 5, that was almost 7 years ago now, he has progressed into running the course. Although when he gave it up to go to skies he was good enough to stand up on it, let go of the rope, keep standing do a 360 then grab the rope again. I was going to grab it from my parents to teach my daughter, she is 4, this year but I never have enough room in the car to bring it back. Last night she road around on the knee board and almost got up on two skies, before long she will have out groan it with out ever riding it. I will try to post pics of my son on the zip sled.

BriEOD
01-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Works on frozen water as well. ;)

east tx skier
01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
As designed! Go Cody!

ski_king
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Great Picture!

My kids found a simular use for a old kneeboard.

TMCNo1
01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Spray some silicone or a good tire dressing on the bottom and it becomes a totally different sled!

BriEOD
01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Cody is having a ball!

Dad, however, is ready for summer. I am dripping with sweat after about an hour session of getting the packed snow/ice off my 35 yard, double-wide, driveway at at least a 30 degree angle. Boy do I miss Tampa!!:mad:

BriEOD
01-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Spray some silicone or a good tire dressing on the bottom and it becomes a totally different sled!

You sound like Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation when he is telling Eddie about the new non-stick cooking chemical his company invented.:eek:

jimmer2880
01-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Here's my daughter last year enjoying an old kneeboard, behind the 4 wheeler.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/IMG_3378.jpg

TX.X-30 fan
01-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Great use for the kneeboard.

BriEOD
01-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Nice shot Jimmer!

ottbryan54
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have one you're willing to part with? I had an orange one as a child and would love to introduce it to my daughters this summer...

j3ski
08-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I have been looking everywhere for one as my last one disappeared two years ago. I have 5 grandchildren that could very much use one. Does anyone have any ideas that would help?

east tx skier
08-12-2009, 09:56 AM
There have been two of the blue ones on ebay in the last month. Both were in good shape. In the past, I've seen them go for between $300--$450. These barely cracked the $100 mark before shipping. You just have to always be looking.

j3ski
08-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks. If you see anything I would appreciate a holler.
jkilday@calendarco.com

BriEOD
02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Got the zip sled into our mini-luge today now that the snow has let up.

east tx skier
02-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey, we've got some of that funny white stuff on the ground, today too!

BriEOD
02-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey, we've got some of that funny white stuff on the ground, today too!

Need photos.

tex
02-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Need photos.

This was from about half way thru the 12 inches we got in Fort Worth!

BriEOD
02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
WoW! Fun stuff.

justinglow
02-14-2010, 03:23 PM
This is what we had 40 miles north of Dallas. A little over 10"

TX.X-30 fan
02-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Very cool Justin, I wish my boys could have had that.

BriEOD
02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
This is what we had 40 miles north of Dallas. A little over 10"

Is that a Honda Rancher? I had a red one I sold about 2 years ago. Great ATV.

TX.X-30 fan
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Is that a Honda Rancher? I had a red one I sold about 2 years ago. Great ATV.

Go grill something egg-boy ......................:D

BriEOD
02-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Don't you have a check to scratch for some stereo work or something?

christieann74
07-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Just found this feed today. Had to share. I grew up riding this and just dug it out for my 4 yr old. :-) She's my rock star!

christieann74
07-21-2014, 11:31 PM

christieann74
07-21-2014, 11:31 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/u8a7enu4.jpg

christieann74
07-21-2014, 11:33 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/yvevyde4.jpg

christieann74
07-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Sorry posting for the first time.

hondaprlud
07-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Cool pics. That's what it's all about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

east tx skier
07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Excellent!

Ryan
07-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Has anyone tried one of the new alternatives?
- Zup board
- Wakesledz

TxsRiverRat
07-23-2014, 10:18 AM
Has anyone tried one of the new alternatives?
- Zup board
- Wakesledz

So funny you posted that. We just had Kristi Overton Johnson's ministry In His Wakes do an event here over the weekend at our club site. They had a zup board on hand, and well, yeah, I could not resist the temptation to try it after I'd given all the kids on my boat a turn.

The handle did a nice job staying on the board. The ride, was stable as long as you did not put too much weight on the back. It was easy to pull yourself up to your knees. What I found a bit more difficult was not going OTF when I stood up and grabbed the handle off the front.

east tx skier
07-23-2014, 10:21 AM
So can the handle attach to the board when the rider isn't standing up?

atihanyi
07-28-2014, 10:49 PM
man this brings back memories . I rode one of those when I was six . two skis at seven and slalom at eight

pmikler
07-29-2014, 09:25 AM
I have the Wakesled and love it mostly because it replaces the tube we had for friends kids. Its great for little ones that are out on the water the first time. All they have to do is hold on and it gives them some control unlike a tube. I would recommend. As an FYI I did consider the other one but went with the Wakesled because there was no learning curve.