PDA

View Full Version : Water In Bilge - Where's It Coming From?

PeteS
08-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Here's a question for you experts! I've noticed about a half-inch of water in the engine compartment after running at 30mph for a hour or so. The current prop, which will be replaced, was bent badly on all three blades when this happened and the vibration was quite noticable. Could the vibration from the bad prop be what was causing water to get past the stuffing box? Please tell me "yes" :rolleyes: !

Two other quick details on the leak. The water only appears to leak in when the boat is in-gear -- I noticed no more water in the boat after leaving in the water for a period of time. When turning the prop manually, it turns smoothly with no sticking -- visually, shaft appears to be straight. Thanks a million!

jwchapman
08-24-2004, 11:45 AM
My 88 TriStar leaks like a sieve at the joint where the hull and deck meet - right under the rub rail - when the wake hits it right around where I sit when driving. This is not a problem at high speed or when idling. It mostly happens at about 10 mph or in turns.

I just pump the water out when picking up a skier and drain it on the lift at the end of the day. I plan on fixing it this winter (along with a long list of other things).

Thrall
08-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Sounds like the stuffing box if it leaks less when not moving. The packing is supposed to leak a little, few drops per minute (evidence that it is being completely lubed by water). This doesn't sound excessive, though. Check out the front of the stuffing box for drips when in the water. This will tell you if that's where it's coming from.

87MC owner
10-03-2005, 09:28 PM
I am noticing a bit of water leaking into the motor area as well. I wonder if it is time to check the packing around the shaft. Your thoughts?

James

Leroy
10-03-2005, 09:41 PM
That doesn't sound excessive to me, I normally have an inch or so at the plug after couple of hours.

However I remember the first few years when there was almost nothing in the bilge, so maybe I need to look at my packing also. I've read good things about the dripless packing.

Cloaked
10-03-2005, 10:18 PM
A dry basement is a clean basement. Leaks for me are unacceptable as far as the norm. Packing doesn't need to be leaking and water does not lubricate anything of the such, deck-to-hull doesn't need to be leaking (been there too, and it liked to have driven me crazy finding the low speed leak as spoken of here). Everything should be dry and tight (but each to their own water preference and pool depth). :D

:twocents:
:toast:

prostar205
10-03-2005, 11:53 PM
I had a similar problem on my '88 Marlin Skier (looks like a '86 MC). After a fairly severe accident involving some rocks where I lost the prop, bent the shaft and shaft strut, water end up coming into the boat (only when under power) thru the strut holes. The theory was that there was enough force on the strut to move it enough to allow water in only when power was applied to the shaft. Check the strut out.

Tom023
10-04-2005, 12:10 PM
You may also want to check the engine over for leaking hoses or seals. My raw water pump had a leaking seal at idle, and I have had drips from the exhaust hoses as well.

LakePirate
10-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Do your speedos work?

east tx skier
10-04-2005, 12:21 PM
A dry basement is a clean basement. Leaks for me are unacceptable as far as the norm. Packing doesn't need to be leaking and water does not lubricate anything of the such, deck-to-hull doesn't need to be leaking (been there too, and it liked to have driven me crazy finding the low speed leak as spoken of here). Everything should be dry and tight (but each to their own water preference and pool depth). :D

So you're in support of dripless packing? Clearly, with a traditional stuffing box, you want some water in your bilge after an hour of running the boat.

Thrall
10-05-2005, 06:20 PM

Sporty, I'd beg to differ. Not on the deck/hull leak, but w/ the standard shaft packing (not dripless), they are designed to leak a bit. If there's no leak, the nut's on too tight.

Cloaked
10-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Sporty, I'd beg to differ. Not on the deck/hull leak, but w/ the standard shaft packing (not dripless), they are designed to leak a bit. If there's no leak, the nut's on too tight.Fair enough. Like I said, it's all in one's preference of pool level. Mine is dry and dripless. I have always had this preference. As an Engineer, I work on these applications day in and day out. Steam and water leaks are my game... and we don't like them at all, especially when it come to radiologically contaminated fluents :D Read up on the different types of packing material and the purposes of a packing gland, and come to the conclusion of your choice. I've already done my homework through working with high pressure steam valves and the such on nuclear power plants. Not to disrespect your dispute or opinion at all. It's all good. I just have been doing this for more years than some here have been born.. :D :D
That's all. I'm done. A lawyer I am not!

Footin
10-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Fair enough. Like I said, it's all in one's preference of pool level. Mine is dry and dripless. I have always had this preference. As an Engineer, I work on these applications day in and day out. Steam and water leaks are my game... and we don't like them at all, especially when it come to radiologically contaminated fluents :D Read up on the different types of packing material and the purposes of a packing gland, and come to the conclusion of your choice. I've already done my homework through working with high pressure steam valves and the such on nuclear power plants. Not to disrespect your dispute or opinion at all. It's all good. I just have been doing this for more years than some here have been born.. :D :D
That's all. I'm done. A lawyer I am not!

Nice well thought out reply my friend.

chico
10-05-2005, 08:17 PM
I`m with sporty.I hate a wet blige.This year I installed GFO dripless packing,no water.

Footin
10-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I kinda like a wet bilge, put a few drops of dish soap in there and it keeps it nice and clean.

6ballsisall
10-05-2005, 09:58 PM
My 95' is dry as a bone and no issues there. My 86' was a dripper. After having a dripper I have to say I sure prefer a dry boat. When I want to clean the bilge out I pull the plug for a few seconds and let some water poor in. A touch of Dawn and its all good :cool:

stevo137
10-05-2005, 11:26 PM
My bilge is almost dry unless we ski and swim our a**es off...

PeteS
02-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Do your speedos work?

Great question, and with it you have the answer. Sorry for the delay in my reply, but it was in fact that there were issues with both speedo pick-ups.

On one one side, the ballast resovoir had frozen and cracked some years ago (the boat was new to me), so the split was allowing water to enter. On the other side the freeze in the resovoir had expanded the air or water left inside, causing one of the tubes to pop off the nipple.

Both issues resulted in water entering while the boat was moving from the speedo lines. Thanks for your help.

erkoehler
02-06-2006, 12:57 PM
My bilge is almost dry unless we ski and swim our a**es off...

I'll second that, but if someone comes in the boat with a wetsuit, and empty's it in the back of the boat....then there is water, and it adds up fast.

Especially since every time they do that I throw them back in the lake :banana:

Cloaked
02-06-2006, 01:36 PM
So you're in support of dripless packing? Clearly, with a traditional stuffing box, you want some water in your bilge after an hour of running the boat.Yes Sir, that is correct. I like a dry basement indeed. :guitar:

Where I see packing leaks the most is under high pressure on steam lines. Obviously apples and onions here. My point is that it's OK and anticipated to have packing leaks around valve stems under high temps and and pressure, but I have eye trouble with a packing leak around a drive shaft at ambient temps. I just can't see it... :firejump: :popcorn:
However, I still contend ==> each to their own....