PDA

View Full Version : To sell or not to sell?

UofU2727
01-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Well, I'm not sure yet whether I want to sell the boat or not. We're moving to the other side of the country. Just wanted to get a few opinions if I decied to sell. The boat is about a 8 1/2 to 9 out of 10 in my opinion. Here is the spec's: 500 hrs, no mechanical problems trailer is flawless, the only thing that needs attention the back seat has a few small cracks and the front drivers seat, nothing major, the other thing it could use is a new boat cover, it ripped, but I was going to replace it anyways regardless. Just wanted a few opinions on what its worth compared to what I may think. Any help is useful. Other picts on my profile.

josepcedwards
01-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Looks Great! My question to you is.... What do you think its worth? What year trailer is that? Boat buddy is the way to go!

2RLAKE
01-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I'l take it if you are giving it away

UofU2727
01-20-2011, 10:46 PM
The trailer is original, just rebuilt, new tires bearings (buddy bearings), paint, lights, removable hitch, ect. In other words new practically. I'm not sure what it's worth, I've seen these S&S boat sell for as little as $5500.0K (not perfect) to as high as $10K. It sits in a garage year round never in the open. So if I put a number on it maybe 8-9K, possibly. However, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay these days.

UofU2727
01-20-2011, 10:48 PM
I'll trade ya : ) for the one in your picture.

kevkan
01-20-2011, 10:58 PM
I doubt the boat would sell for what you think it is worth. Last July, I traded-in my 1985 S&S, in similar condition, minus the new trailer and got $5,500. I don't think I could have sold it myself for much more.

The '85 cost me next to nothing to own, having bought it in 1986. It met my needs for a long time, and if my needs hadn't changed it would be a great boat till I die. Thats really the question, what are your needs? Do you need (or really want) a different boat? Do you need money? If the boat meets your needs, and you don't need the money, do not sell that boat. While my kids were babies, back in the early 90's, summers went by that the boat didn't get in the water. But I knew, if I sold the boat and spent the cash, it was going to be very difficult to ever get another.

josepcedwards
01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
The trailer is original, just rebuilt, new tires bearings (buddy bearings), paint, lights, removable hitch, ect. In other words new practically. I'm not sure what it's worth, I've seen these S&S boat sell for as little as $5500.0K (not perfect) to as high as $10K. It sits in a garage year round never in the open. So if I put a number on it maybe 8-9K, possibly. However, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay these days.

Im on the buying side of this. The way things are now days its hard to buy something 25 years old for a toy at a high price. I know S&S is what i want because its in my price range. You have really low hours on that boat which will really help you out if you decide to sell. Good luck!

kevkan
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
P.S. Your trailer is not a MC trailer. You have no idea what you are missing out on, not having the "flip up bar thing" on the front.

Double D
01-20-2011, 11:24 PM
My question is where are you moving too? Are you concerned since your moving out of CA you may not have as much boating or places to Ski?

You may regret it later if you sell. Its a sweet looking boat!

east tx skier
01-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Are you coming close to TX? I've had a few at this point and might throw out a number if it's being dragged by. Pretty boat!

MakeMineaS&S
01-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Damn sexy. If I didn't already have a S&S, I'd be all over it.

I love the S&S's. See my handle.

coz
01-21-2011, 07:51 AM
My question is where are you moving too? Are you concerned since your moving out of CA you may not have as much boating or places to Ski

If he's from SoCal, the best thing he can do if he wants a place to boat and ski is get out...there ain't sheet for boating in socal.

UofU2727
01-21-2011, 10:28 AM
For everyone, I'm pulling the boat from UT to NY, long ways in the dead of winter. For the right price I'm willing to let the boat go. However, it will be hard too. The boat is in every bit of excellent condition. This isn't one of the 20ft boats. Like I said it's near perfect some minor things but not much more than that. I love the boat and get plenty of people looking at it when it's in the water. I'm a little over the top and have waxed it after every use. It's just the drive in the winter and what could happen to the trailer/boat coming across route 80. I hate getting chips and nicks in the boat/trailer so the boat is getting wrapped, its the trailer that I don't know how to protect. Then again I though maybe just selling it. I don't even think it will get use this summer, I have a baby on the way and other things with a new job. The reserve is it took me forever to find a boat in this good of condition and with original working parts, speedo's and other things. Like I said, not too many in this condition.

UofU2727
01-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice S&S. I'm leaning towards keeping it. 60/40 right now. Don't need money, it's just the haul. The fam want me too keep it. However, with a growing fam, I'm going to need an open bow, that means a bigger garage or two for toys and cars.

KnoxX2
01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
If it is paid for I say keep it!!! Sounds like you love the boat. I could see no real reason to sell it!

Sodar
01-21-2011, 10:40 AM
For everyone, I'm pulling the boat from UT to NY, long ways in the dead of winter. For the right price I'm willing to let the boat go. However, it will be hard too. The boat is in every bit of excellent condition. This isn't one of the 20ft boats. Like I said it's near perfect some minor things but not much more than that. I love the boat and get plenty of people looking at it when it's in the water. I'm a little over the top and have waxed it after every use. It's just the drive in the winter and what could happen to the trailer/boat coming across route 80. I hate getting chips and nicks in the boat/trailer so the boat is getting wrapped, its the trailer that I don't know how to protect. Then again I though maybe just selling it. I don't even think it will get use this summer, I have a baby on the way and other things with a new job. The reserve is it took me forever to find a boat in this good of condition and with original working parts, speedo's and other things. Like I said, not too many in this condition.

Keep It!!!

Go to a packing store and by some stretch wrap and wrap the trailer. Use duct tape over the stretch wrap for extra durability. It might cost you $50 and a few hours, but the trailer can be protected and look just as good as it does now by the time you reach New York.

east tx skier
When my family grew, I went closed bow. Easier to keep an eye and a hand on the kids that way. :)

Keep it!

ski/hunt
Put boat and trailer onto a flat trailer or better a car hauler trailer, strap it down and motor. You will never forgive yourself for selling when you really don't have to. There is a L-16 out there that I never should have sold when I didn't have to--- regrets:( I try to avoid them!

h2oskifreak
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Keep the boat (right where she's at), forget the move as well if you don't have to. New York is a pit compared to the "paradise" where you live now. I am halfway joking, but I hope you know what you are getting into in the N.E. I would have to be forced to move there, not opt for it.

cmw
01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Congratulations on the baby on the way. Listen to kevkan. Kids grow up fast and you and your family will want to be back on the water. If this was a boat you could replace easily, I would say sell it, but this sounds like THE boat you will be kicking yourself the rest of your life for selling. Coming up with big money for a new boat is hard, sounds like you have already found one you love. Don't do it!

broncotw
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I recently sold my 1986 Stars and Stripes for $7,500.00... Your boat appears to be in great condition... I would think you could at least get that if you are patient....

Willski
01-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I went to an open bow 07 TT last year for a little more seating area. I traded my 1984 S&S. You never really know what a dealer is doing on trade vs. new price, but he told me he thought he could sell my boat for 7500 or 8500, and he offered me 6500. It was in awesome condition but had the original trailer...which had very minor rust. Your trailer is nicer for sure. I also had 1600 hours on mine. I think I did okay.

Double D
01-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I agree with most everyone on here; DON'T SELL!! Heat Shrink the boat and Stretch Wrap the trailer, and redo the bearings and you should be ready to go.

Jerseydave
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Where in NY are you moving to? There are tons of lakes in NY state, and private ski sites/clubs for slalom too. Short season, but that's what makes it special.

I agree with using wrap on the trailer, and I would shrink wrap the boat too. (put towels over the windshield frame first)

If your moving because of work, and perhaps your company is paying for the move you might be able to put the boat inside the moving truck. We had a neighbor who did that with a chevy suburban from NJ to CA.

Very sharp S&S!

maxpower220
01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I bought my last MC in Kansas when I lived in OK. I moved to Florida and towed it there. Then I moved to San Diego for 2 years, then back to Florida (where I am now). Don't worry about your boat or trailer. The paint on your trailer should be just as durable as the paint on your tow vehicle. Do use shrink wrap around the front of the boat trailer as you can kick up small stoned/debris on the road to cause damage. No need to wrap the whole boat.

After the drive, you boat WILL be filthy. Take it to an outdoor car wash and spray from top to bottom. Then you will have a clean up project for yourself. There is no reason to not move the boat as you will not be able to sell it and then buy one that is as nice as it for the same price.

03geetee
01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
For such a great boat I would suggest looking in to a professional mover/shipper. It really is not that much money when all things are considered and your trip may be that much more stress free if your boat isnt following you.

Just my .02

JTR

h2oskifreak
01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I would keep it as well. Hard to find one in that condition and if you don't need the money? There is an 85 listed today on Ski It Again, 800 +/- hrs, trailer not as nice as yours, does have Perfect Pass though and he says $7,500.00 firm in Wash. state. I think just like anything else, if you want top $ you have to have time. Liquidity costs.

UofU2727
01-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and great comments on the boat. The boat is my dream. The only other two boats I would ever want would be the 93 S&S "red" or 35th aniversery. My wife protested even thinking about selling it. She likes the "red", infact she picked it out, I just wanted a S&S boat, red, blue what ever color. Like I said it turns heads. Thanks for all the advice, we looked into shipping it about $2500.00 total a bit steep. Also the advice on putting the towels on the windshield before shrink rapping, thanks, didn't even think about that, good advice and shrink rapping the trailer, that was my only idea I came up with. I need a new and good cover, any idea's of a "really" good ones? Pict's if anyone has a good one on a S&S, so I can get an idea of how it looks and will fit. I ripped the one I have going down the road this summer on the last trip to the lake : ( .

damaged442
01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
When I bought my boat, I had no kids. Now I have three and I am REALLY glad I kept it! The kids love it. Two of my kids went for their first rides at three weeks old, the other was born in October and it was too cold or I would have had him out too. What area in NY are you moving to?

muskingumriverdocks
01-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I say keep it. Unless you are getting out of boating all together. Don't know where your going in N.Y. but plenty of places to boat. Good Luck.

TallRedRider
01-22-2011, 05:52 PM
You can keep that badboy here in my place in St. George...I will take good care of her...Even warm up the engine once in a while to make sure that she is working properly. You can trust me, I am a U of U guy too.
;);):D:D

TX.X-30 fan
01-22-2011, 05:55 PM
When my family grew, I went closed bow. Easier to keep an eye and a hand on the kids that way. :)

Keep it!

Fuzzy logic at best....................:D

87MCProstar
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Keep It... my .02

Jerseydave
01-24-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.skiboatcovers.com/index.html

^Great boat covers

Jeff Lyman
01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Keep it ! Although like I did an open bow helps when the family grows. Once your in NY imediatly take it on a nice dry day to a car wash and spend 10 dollars. Salt is our number 1 destroyer here and makes everything rust. But get it clean and dry before putting it away should be fine.

NY Property taxes will blow you away, hope you can keep the boat and not sell it to give the $'s to our goverment.

This state is beautifull with thousands of lakes just look north, you'll be surprised.

2RLAKE
01-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Just invest in a good wetsuit?

kyfooter
01-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Sell it!!! I'll buy!

I sold my '86 a few years back for $7,800 and bought a '197. Looking back, I wish I kept it. Nothing drives or sounds like the older MCs. And while the money might come in handy now, in a few years it will be gone and so will the boat.

It's a great looking boat, and very tough to replace if you ever want it back.

Slinkyredfoot
01-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Sell it!!! I'll buy!

I sold my '86 a few years back for $7,800 and bought a '197. Looking back, I wish I kept it. Nothing drives or sounds like the older MCs. And while the money might come in handy now, in a few years it will be gone and so will the boat.

It's a great looking boat, and very tough to replace if you ever want it back.

Totally agree, you will be sorry you ever sold this beauty. How much do you really want for it, I will come and tow it home seriously? ;)

UofU2727
01-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Well after many "keep it" posts and the wife saying no, I'm going to keep it, if I was to sell it for those that ask I wanted between 8-9k, which I don't know if I could get it, which is okay because I like this boat anyways, it would of been hard to sell. So what do you do if your going to keep it, spend some money on it. I just took it in today for a new cover that will cover the boat and protect the front from rocks and bugs then on to another shop to wrap it for the trip. In two months it will be getting a new carb too, the old one started leaking at the end of the season and isn't fixable with a rebuild kit.

maxpower220
01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Odds are the new carb will have a "better" design and give you better service. I would hate to think that no progress has been made on carbs in the 30 years.

Double D
01-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Well after many "keep it" posts and the wife saying no, I'm going to keep it, if I was to sell it for those that ask I wanted between 8-9k, which I don't know if I could get it, which is okay because I like this boat anyways, it would of been hard to sell. So what do you do if your going to keep it, spend some money on it. I just took it in today for a new cover that will cover the boat and protect the front from rocks and bugs then on to another shop to wrap it for the trip. In two months it will be getting a new carb too, the old one started leaking at the end of the season and isn't fixable with a rebuild kit.

Good choice! Glad your keeping it. Continue to take pictures and keep us advised of your trip to your new home.

03geetee
01-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Good choice! Glad your keeping it. Continue to take pictures and keep us advised of your trip to your new home.

X10891203812098129038

JTR