PDA

View Full Version : Broken back seat, PS 190, 1995.

Surfer
07-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi!

Just broke my back seat / sun bench by standing in the middle of it with one foot.

Any ideas on fixing it?

I tried to fix it temporarily with just attaching two pieces of wood by screws to the aluminium below, but it did not really help, the aluminium is too soft.

I opened up the seat (not a simple construction), and saw that the inner aluminium plate is cut in the middle.
Maybe some iron plate to fix it, attachment with small bolts?

Thank you,

Pasi

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 11:41 AM
However you fix it (not sure as I have the older design seat), I've seen lots of people build support brackets so that they don't ever have the problem again.

MarkP
07-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi!

Just broke my back seat / sun bench by standing in the middle of it with one foot.

Any ideas on fixing it?

I tried to fix it temporarily with just attaching two pieces of wood by screws to the aluminium below, but it did not really help, the aluminium is too soft.

I opened up the seat (not a simple construction), and saw that the inner aluminium plate is cut in the middle.
Maybe some iron plate to fix it, attachment with small bolts?

Thank you,

Pasi
Can you offer some photos?? That may help inspire suggestions.
AND

Welcome to the board........

Andyg
07-14-2005, 11:50 AM
I had the same issue on my 97 PS190. The core of the seat was an aluminum honeycomb material about an inch thick. I removed the vinyl and padding first. Then I took two 4 foot (I think) pieces of zinc plated angle iron and mounted it to the core. The angle iron will be exposed on the bottom of the seat, but you can't see it and it was stronger than ever. One thing to note is to make sure you use large fender style washers when you bolt through the honeycomb or you will crush it. The other thing to note is that the black "mesh" on the bottom of the seat was left between the angle iron and the seat core. My friend owns the boat now so I will see if he can send me some digital pictures of the repair.

Surfer
07-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi!

Thanks for the replies, all!

I don't have a picture of the seat yet, but I could take one, and submit it here.

Andyg, so you did put angle iron there?
If you get a picture of it, that would help me to see what it exactly is.

I was thinking of putting just a plate on the broken part, but then, it might broke from the other part sometime.

BR,

Pasi

Rockman
07-22-2005, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=Surfer]Hi!

Erkle had the same this happen to him except it was someone else who broke his seat. Someone jumped from one boat to his to get to the dock and cracked it.

I offered to fix it over the winter time for him since he really doesn't use it much.

Keep in touch on any prgross you make and I will do the same.

It can't be that difficult since there seat is really small.

tcitruck
08-16-2005, 12:44 AM
I have a 1997 205 and the rear seat also broke. I built a box out of pvc 1x4's and put drawers under for gloves, soap, sun screen, etc. I am getting ready to order new upholstery and will order a new seat with the brackets that go with the newer seats.

BriEOD
08-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Tcitruck--Do you have a photo of that?