PDA

View Full Version : Wake Plate on X-14 DD, not V

Age Fighter
01-19-2011, 11:06 PM
For the heck of it, I have an MC dealer installing a wake plate on my X-14. The plates seem to get such rave reviews on the X-14v and the X-2's and so on, I thought I'd give it a try.

I understand why there's more emphasis on plates on the V drives with the engine placement of course. In fact plates are rare on direct drives.

But on the direct drives, the fuel sits right dead on the rear. A full fuel tank does not weight what an engine block does of course, but the weight is even further back and a full tank versus say a third of a tank is an extra 125 pounds or so on the transom.

I've noticed that I avoid keeping much gas in the tank when I want to slalom, which has almost gotten us in trouble a few times on the lake when the gas pumps were closed but there was still daylight.

It may only affect my mental attitude, but the cost wasn't bad and I figure it can't hurt. Might save me an embarrassing fuel situation sometime too.

Thoughts?

east tx skier
01-19-2011, 11:51 PM
Will you be able to control it remotely from the helm?

sully
01-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I also heard if you add weight (lead) to the x14 the wake gets better. So by adding the plate might have the same affect without always having to carry the additional weight. I like the idea. I have been filling the front KGB tank about half, seems to help the ski wake a little.

eficalibrator
01-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I just ordered my ps214 with a dealer installed plate. I'm told that it will help wake shaping at wakeboard speeds when carrying ballast as well as helping to get the back end up and out of the water when running the course at 30/32mph. It's adjustable down to zero change, so there's not much to lose by having it on there.

JohnE
01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Looking forward to hearing the results, Chuck.

Age Fighter
01-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Will you be able to control it remotely from the helm?

The factory rep said it would plug into the VDIG no problem, so yes to the helm and to the VDIG. Had it turned out that we could not tie it into the VDIG post facto, the dealer would have put in a toggle at the helm anyway.

Age Fighter
01-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I also heard if you add weight (lead) to the x14 the wake gets better. So by adding the plate might have the same affect without always having to carry the additional weight. I like the idea. I have been filling the front KGB tank about half, seems to help the ski wake a little.

I had fiddled with putting a little water in the KGB as well, and on some days I thought it helped a little and on some days I didn't think so. When the X-14 is low on gas and you have a rider you can throw in the bow, the wake is really great. The plate should allow for just as good a wake without having to meet those conditions.

And it should allow for some creative shaping on the wakeboard wakes too. I am really anxious to see how it opens up some more options for what I already think is a great great cross over tow boat. And my aging knees will thank me too.

MCVOLS
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
This sounds very interesting to me, as I also have an X-14 DD, and look forward to hearing your results. Curious as to where you are in the SE, and which dealer is doing this for you?

Age Fighter
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
This sounds very interesting to me, as I also have an X-14 DD, and look forward to hearing your results. Curious as to where you are in the SE, and which dealer is doing this for you?

With all of this global warming -- ahem -- it will be a long time before I can report the results. However, I will indeed do so. I am excited to get behind her at about 60 feet and see what it looks like.

Dealer is Triad Marine in Greensboro. About 75 miles away from me, but Billy Pope is great dealer!

JohnE
01-21-2011, 07:40 PM
I had fiddled with putting a little water in the KGB as well, and on some days I thought it helped a little and on some days I didn't think so. When the X-14 is low on gas and you have a rider you can throw in the bow, the wake is really great. The plate should allow for just as good a wake without having to meet those conditions.

And it should allow for some creative shaping on the wakeboard wakes too. I am really anxious to see how it opens up some more options for what I already think is a great great cross over tow boat. And my aging knees will thank me too.

You are much pickier that I am apparantly. :D How did the season go? Happy with the boat?

Age Fighter
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
You are much pickier that I am apparantly. :D How did the season go? Happy with the boat?

I don't know if I'm pickier, or just sort of enjoy the chase (for the best wake or best handling or whatever a given boat can deliver). Or maybe I'm just a lousier skier and running out of excuses!!

But the season went fine, only I wasn't on the water quite as much as normal for a number of reasons. As for the boat? Love it! The X-14 is a winner. And the power slot is like having an engine upgrade. Amazing.

2RLAKE
01-22-2011, 09:21 PM
very interested how this works for you ... let us know please

gatorguy
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Anyone have any advice on the wake plate for the new MC 300? Yea, I really want to slalom, but my wife wants to cruise. We think this will be the best crossover boat for both of us to be happy. What do you think?:D

SkiDude12
09-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Do you ever surf behind your X14? if so, does the altitude plate help?