PDA

View Full Version : Shower Install

showskier
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Good afternoon all,
I recently let go of my '87 PS190 to purchase an '02 PS197TT and now there are upgrades i'm in the process of doing to this one.
I read in this thread some great install instructions and ideas for the shower:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11624&highlight=shower+install&page=7

Currently i'm trying to decide how to mount the pump. in the old thread, they said they mounted it right to the fiberglass with SS screws. I was wondering if anyone knew how thick that was and if its smart to drill into it? I also came across two wires haning down in the perfect spot for the shower install. Does anyone know where these run to? my battery is in my basement as the boat is winterized so i cant check it easily. Here is a picture. also if anyone has any tips on where to put the pump i'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Russ

JohnnyB
01-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Is that a steel plate sandwiched in the fiberglass? Maybe you could tap into that? You could also use those two existing through-bolts and make a plate to mount your pump on. Is there other hardward going through that section of fiberglass that you could guage the thickness?? I think the '02 and '04 were the same hull and build....my pictures are from an '04 197.

My boat is in its winter storage, otherwise I'd tell you the length of screw I used. I based my mounting off of how the factory mounted theirs.

Also, I would put in-line filters for your hot and cold water. There are strainers/filters in the control valve but they are a PITA to get at. Look at ski-dim or your local RV parts store to find them. I'm adding them to mine in spring -- probably put them in-line where the hot and cold lines run along the port side of the engine.

Got questions on your install, shoot me a post or PM and I'll try to help you out....its seems like I did this forever ago, so my memory is a bit foggy....probalby killed those brain cells a while ago.

Thrall
01-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Those wires could very well be already wired to one of your dash switches, not sure what the 02's have for switches, but likely prewired for shower or washdown or possibly a transom remote (in which case you'd have to install a switch but the wires would be already pulled).
Just have to put the battery in it and test the wires.

macattack
01-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey Showskier, congrats on your new purchase! Attached is MC's technical technique sheet that shows the shower install for 2004-2005 PS197s; yours may be similar.

I installed my pump by drilling holes in the fiberglass where MC suggested in their tech order. I drilled very slowly!

Ref the wires, you may want to check to see if you have two sets...my 05' TT does...one set (white/black) had “ stern lt” labels on it and the other set (red/black) had no labels. I used the red/black ones as they were already connected to the ACC 1 toggle switch on the dash. You can also buy a new switch cover from MC that has "Shower" on it if your '02 has these type of switch covers.

I second the suggestion for installing in line filters; they work great! If you install your hot shower lead from the bottom of the engine you will get sediment that will clog the hot/cold diluter valve screen. As mentioned, this screen is a pain to get to and clean. The inline filters will prevent this and are easily accessible.

If you need more pics, my boat is in the garage/easy to get to...let me know, mac

showskier
01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the responses. This will help out a ton!

Russ

JohnnyB
01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
IIRC my wires were wired to the switch OR they were pulled to the area under the instument panel and had labeled but splices on them. I know I've run into both cases.

showskier
01-23-2011, 06:06 PM
I'll take the dash panel off here soon and make sure. I'm going to install the battery and check to see which switch makes those wires hot. I've done some checking on the thickness of the fiberglass i want to drill into. It appears to be about 1.5" thick so i'll just use 1/2" or smaller screws to set the pump.

JohnnyB, that plate in the picture is a rear tow hook the original owner added to tow tubers... he also kept it in the water from may-sept with no cover on for 4 years in colorado... needless to say i've been doing a lot of cosmetic work too. with the exception of repainting the windshield frame that goose crap unpainted nicely, boats back to about 95% perfect.

Thanks again for the help, pictures and especialy the document!

Russ

showskier
01-23-2011, 06:08 PM
also, forgot to ask. the rocker switches, do they just pop off or do i need to replace the whole switch. thats one more cosmetic thing, the painted labels are all pretty much rubbed/weathered off so i need to replace them. at the same time i can add the "shower" one in place of the dead left hand switch that will become the shower.