PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Prostar 190 Question

tgump
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I am looking into purchasing a 1990 Prostar 190 for our family of 4 that is currently winterized and in storage. Since I obviously can't test drive the boat, is there a way to hook a hose to it to at least start it? If so, how is this done? I have never owned a boat before, so this is all new to me. The owner says the boat runs fine, but I want to make sure there are no leaks, the tranny engages properly, etc. It currently has around 600hrs on it, is in great shape, but needs cleaned up both inside and out to have it looking new again. The upholstery is in great shape as well. Is there anything else I should be looking at before buying? Also, what is the value of this boat? The owner is asking around $4000 for the boat. Any help would be appreciated.

shepherd
01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
If you've never owned a boat before (or even if you have), I'd recommend that you have a professional take a look at the boat for you. Ask the owner if you or he can take the boat to a local boat shop that services inboard ski boats.
It shouldn't cost too much (less than $100?) and would give you peace of mind.

If the boat is in good condition, I think $4,000 would be a good deal. I sold a 1990 PS 190 in very good condition 4 years ago for significantly more than twice that much money.

east tx skier
01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
I'll echo Shepherd's advice.

In addition, if you hook a 1.25" piece of flexible PVC hose to the lake side of the transmission cooler and secure it with a hose clamp, then put the other end of that bucket into a 5 gallon bucket fed by a hose, you can run the boat in the driveway. I would not suggest engaging the transmission while the boat is out of the water though.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-18-2011, 08:51 PM
One catch to running the boat on a hose this time of year is that once you are finished, the engine will need to be winterized again.......

I'd agree that 4k is a pretty good price for the boat if, as you say, it is in good shape.

broncotw
01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
I will agree with Shepard -- pay someone to conduct an inspection of the boat prior to finalizing your purchase... It should detail all of the boats faults (if it has any) and thus provide you with some peace of mind.... Good luck and we will be waiting for some pictures in the event you pull the trigger....

boyd
01-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Tgump,
I can't believe this guy is trying to take advantage of you like this. How dare he try to sell you a 21 year old boat for so much money. Run from the boat, don't buy it. Terrible motor, horrible wake behind the boat. They were nothing but problems that year. And for the seller, I will take care of him for you. Just give me his name, # and address. I will contact him for you to tell him you are not interested. This is the way us Teamtalk brothers stick up for oneanother. : )

Boyd

JohnE
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Four grand is a steal if it runs right. Take it to someone to run it, check it, and winterize it

boyd
01-19-2011, 05:04 PM
You better hurry and buy it before the guy sobers up.

boyd.

boyd
01-19-2011, 05:06 PM
p.s. Dont take it to the boat shop. Those guys will offer him 6k for it. Then you have lost the deal.Take it as it is.
Even if you have to put a used motor in it, you will still come out way ahead.
Or if you want to make a thousand dollars in one day, buy it, call me and I will give you 5k for it.

BOYd

east tx skier
01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Something tells me Boyd knows the seller. :)

2RLAKE
01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
where are you ... could be one of us is near you and could help

tgump
01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your input everyone! I found out that the current owner takes this boat to a guy who works at our local boat dealer. He is a friend of his and does boat maintenance work on the side. He actually winterized it for him this past year. He has had it checked out and he said it is good to go!