PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Mastercraft S&S

josepcedwards
01-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi! New to the fourm! I need some advice.... Im looking at buying a 81 S&S all original. It been in a gurage its whole life excpect this past summer and winter. Its looks to be in really good shape with around 700 hours. The guy is firm on $5500. Is this a good deal for the price?

Cloaked
01-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi! New to the fourm! I need some advice.... Im looking at buying a 81 S&S all original. It been in a gurage its whole life excpect this past summer and winter. Its looks to be in really good shape with around 700 hours. The guy is firm on $5500. Is this a good deal for the price?Yes, if the boat is good. You have ask an open-ended broad question and tried to quantify it with a price. If there are any issues, it may not be the best buy. One thing I consider when looking into the 79 - 81 / 82 is the fact that the stringers were left exposed and are subject to degradation from water. There is a list of things to consider, but if it is as you say, $5,500 is a decent price. Seven hundred hours is not bad. I have an 85 with 700 hours and I still consider it relatively low hours.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Welcome to Team Talk, and hopefully the MasterCraft family. If the boat is as clean as you say, it could be worth what he is asking. There are quite a few thing to look at. Engine and trans condition. The condition of the interior. The boat has wood stringers and are a potential source for problems. What shape is the trailer in. How complete is the boat? Any missing pieces are will be difficult at best to replace. A bunch of pictures would be good.

josepcedwards
01-17-2011, 11:11 PM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/2123317056.html
Here is the ad off CL... Ive went and look at the boat in person and i must say I was impressed. The interior has less the 3 bad places, carpet is in good shape as well, trailer is in really great shape, He has all the paper work form all the owners, there is 3 places where the clear is coming off the gelcoat but not a big issue. I fell like its a good deal... I just want to make sure im right.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2011, 11:21 PM
The phrase a picture is worth a thousand words comes to mind. That is not an 81 mastercraft. The square windshield makes it a late 82 or later if my memory serves me right. You need to look at the HIN....Hull Identification Number on the top right corner of stern. Post that and we can tell you what year the boat actually. This doesn't change the value of the boat, but it does raise some questions.

josepcedwards
01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I did check the VIN. It is an 1981. Very rare but still 81. Im was like you and had never seen an 81 with that windsheild. I looked and looked till i foumd another one that year model and windsheild and got in contact with the guy to see what his story was. If you go to nada mastercraft came out with two differet opitions in 81 this is kinda like the mairstar back in that day. So far ive found 3 of them with that windshild and year model. They also put the 351 instead of the 302. 302 was standered in 81 not the 351.

josepcedwards
01-17-2011, 11:36 PM
http://www.onestopmotors.com/1981_MASTERCRAFT_Pro%20Star%20190_for_sale_7512.as px

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fi1DSaRaeg

http://www.usedboats.com/boat-ad/display/ad_id/1116071

All 1981 with the square windshield. Pretty cool huh!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Well, maybe the change was a year earlier than I remembered. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Looks pretty interesting. The boats came standard with the 302 for a bunch or years, but the 351 was always an option. My '77 came with the 351.

josepcedwards
01-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Would i be able to put a fly high pole on that boat? the factory pylon has the T in it.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-18-2011, 12:14 AM
I put one on my '77 which has the same pylon. You have to trim the cross piece a little. I cut it with a sawzall and filed it ends back to the proper radius. Works fantastic.

1redTA
01-18-2011, 01:22 PM
That is the ( much better looking twin ) of my 81 judging by those pics. Definately pay attention to the stringers for that price.

josepcedwards
01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the feed back... Im begging to feel its a little much. I thought it was a good deal. It kinda sounds like its on the high side of average.

phickman
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Mid year 1983 was the switch to all fiberglass. I would find at least a mid year 83-85 stars and stripes. You get the same classic look without the stringer issue that will eventually come up. This is what I would do. There are plenty of boats for sale. Jaxed Site Mash is a great site, it compiles ebay and craigslist ads. Hope you find what you like. Welcome to the site. Paul

josepcedwards
01-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks Paul! Whats the best way to check stringers? With out stripping the whole boat down of course...

1redTA
01-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks Paul! Whats the best way to check stringers? With out stripping the whole boat down of course...

Try turning the motor mount bolts?

josepcedwards
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM

is that really the only way?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-18-2011, 08:37 PM

I don't think I would do that. I would first raise the motor cover and use a hammer to tap on the stringers where they are accessable. I would also remove the rear floor section and do more of the same.

Prior to this I would have a conversation with the owner about concern for the integrity of the stringers. Perhaps it would be better to have the owner perform the task so as to avoid any hard feelings should a bad spot or two be found.

josepcedwards
01-18-2011, 08:45 PM
[QUOTEremove the rear floor section and do more of the same.[/QUOTE]

Is this an easy task? Do you remover the rear seat and pull it up?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
My floor isn't original, so we need some input from someone with an original floor. Yes the seat comes out. I would assume there are screws through the metal floor strips that, once removed, the center section would come out.

josepcedwards
01-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all your help! Maybe someone will tune in...

phickman
01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
There are some very good threads over at CorrectCraftFan.com about stringers, inspection, and stringer replacement. I own both a MC and Ski Nautique. My SN has wood stringers and I looked at a number of boats before buying the SN 2001. Fortunately I know of all the owners and how it was kept. My MC has no wood. Both are good boats. The motor mount bolts should be checked, the inspection panel should be removed, some pecking and close inspection should be checked. Look for the fiberglass pulling back from the stringers, soft spots etc. LOOK FOR STRESS CRACKS IN THE GEL COAT ON THE SIDES. This is indicative of bad stringers from the boat flexing This is a big deal, serious bucks to fix right.

Seriously, 1983 1/2 and up is your friend. You want as much fun and little expense moving forward as possible. These boats are wonderful if you get a good one. Major pain and no fun if you get the wrong one.

The woodie may be stellar, just read up and do your homework, see if you can have it inspected by a reputable marine shop. There is nothing better than a classic Inboard Boat regardless of brand. Just want you to have the most fun and the least amount of headache.

This isn't the only one for sale, it is worth driving several hours to buy the right boat.

Hope this helps and welcome to Inboard Boats.:D

josepcedwards
01-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks again! Glad to know there are some dudes with the knowledge to help the folks the no not know as much!

MCVOLS
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Good luck with this boat, or another one. It is interesting about the windshield. I was also thinking late 82 or 83 was the change to square. I had an '82 with the rounded one piece.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Good luck with this boat, or another one. It is interesting about the windshield. I was also thinking late 82 or 83 was the change to square. I had an '82 with the rounded one piece.

AHA...............I thought so. Now I'm confused.

josepcedwards how about posting that serial number for us anal MC addicts.

liledgy
01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
A few of the 81's were "deluxe". They had combing pads, padded motor cover, better interior. Square windshield was standard on 82's as was the contoured motor cover and the new dash pod. A few still came with fiberglass motor covers even in 83 and 84. Sold to ski schools and others. Ihave only seen 1 "post 80's" MC with rotten stringers. Not that their aren't more out there but I havnt seem the problem in the later years as they may of had in the 70's .

josepcedwards
01-19-2011, 06:26 PM
AHA...............I thought so. Now I'm confused.

josepcedwards how about posting that serial number for us anal MC addicts.

It took me while to track the windshiled info. I thought i was seeing things.! I will post the number as soon at i get back to the boat. After all the good input i got i call the guy and talk about stringers.... he said the they are very soild! He said the only bad spot in the boat was were the motor mounts behind the driver seat. Less than 9 inches that he is willing to fix with fiberglass resin. The motor had a leak, he explained... and that was what caused the wood to start rotting. He said the he retapped the motor mount with a longer bolt till he hit soild wood. So sunday Im going to check it in this thing a litte futher.

josepcedwards
01-19-2011, 06:29 PM
A few of the 81's were "deluxe". They had combing pads, padded motor cover, better interior. Square windshield was standard on 82's as was the contoured motor cover and the new dash pod. A few still came with fiberglass motor covers even in 83 and 84. Sold to ski schools and others. Ihave only seen 1 "post 80's" MC with rotten stringers. Not that their aren't more out there but I havnt seem the problem in the later years as they may of had in the 70's .

Your right! This one does have the padded cover. I really think this is why im kinda hung up on this boat. It seems to be rare.

blakehardesty
01-20-2011, 08:30 AM
I almost bought an 1980 that I loved and still kinda wish I had bought. I decided to buy a 84 so I didnt have to deal with stringers at any time. If the seller said there was a bad spot I doubt he can just fix that spot as the rot will probly spread. I was in your shoes once and I think you should reconsider buying a MC with anything wood but the teak. Im not trying to talk you out of it as im sure it is a beautiful boat. If it makes you feel any better I gave up a powerslot to have fiberglass stringers. Just my $.02

aquaman
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
good point blake.

If the wood stringers have been compromised in one spot most likely there are others. So ARE you are prepared to re-do the stringers if necessary??

phickman
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
This would be well worth the extra $1300 to take the soft spot and rot out of the mix. Even got the cool ying yang decals on sides. Cool old ski tug.

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/boa/2152929265.html

thatsmrmastercraft
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
This would be well worth the extra $1300 to take the soft spot and rot out of the mix. Even got the cool ying yang decals on sides. Cool old ski tug.

Not bad looking at all. Wish I were in the market for another.

east tx skier
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not exactly sure that that issue of rot can be fixed by repatching with fiberglass resin. Like others, I'd be worried that it could spread further. For the price, I don't think it's worth that stringer replacement that would eventually come. I'd be thankful that the owner was an honest fellow about the whole thing and keep looking.

josepcedwards
01-20-2011, 05:56 PM

I'm all over it. I had a 20 min talk with the guy today and work out a deal as we speak. Not sure we can get the price right but

For the wood stringer... If that guy seen the they were bad and the price was right then yes I would be willing and able to replace the stringers. Not something I really want to do. I've out it on the back burner and now looking for an 84 and up. Thanks so much guys. It coulda been really bad if I got it with bad stringers and never had a clue about them.

tph
01-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Left coast but.....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2165711795.html

03geetee
01-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Left coast but.....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2165711795.html

Not bad at all, just needs some TLC. For what its worth it all depends on what you want out of the boat. If you want a boat that is beautiful, turn key ready and just needs registration and gas to hit the water then expect to pay at least 5500-8500 for a boat in the S&S range. If you want a decent foundation *look at the checklist on this forum* that you can build off of and learn a little with some help from this forum and some reading then you can get into a boat for about 4K and expect to dump 2-3K into it to reach the same goal. This way however you can still drive the boat as is and upgrade as you go.

My 83' cost 4200.00 with trailer, cover and bimini with the original owners brochure/manuals/history from local owner. Boat needed nothing to run other then gas. I wanted more but knew buying this boat would require some elbow grease and time to get it where I want. So far this is what it has cost to have the boat right where I want it and stay that way for years to come....

-250 in trailer stuff to replace aging parts and keep it safe.
-1800 for new carpet and interior (scheduled to be done later this month) *I stripped the boat myself and took out all the carpet and sanded the floor to help lessen the cost*
-500 for a complete buff, gelcoat restore, polish and wax after doing it myself gave only moderate results.
-50.00 on Teak restoration products to get the wood where it needed to be.
-125.00 to have the cover resewn and stitched up like new with a few vents added in the roof area

Here are some threads that might help you see what you are getting into...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38300
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=37540
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=37578

Add it up and I have only 6925.00 into it and I learned a ton about the boat along the way. I could have found a new boat for possibly the same money but I wanted a classic S&S and wanted a project.

Decide what you want and go from there but it can be done lots of guys on here have done it!

JTR

josepcedwards
01-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Not bad at all, just needs some TLC. For what its worth it all depends on what you want out of the boat. If you want a boat that is beautiful, turn key ready and just needs registration and gas to hit the water then expect to pay at least 5500-8500 for a boat in the S&S range. If you want a decent foundation *look at the checklist on this forum* that you can build off of and learn a little with some help from this forum and some reading then you can get into a boat for about 4K and expect to dump 2-3K into it to reach the same goal. This way however you can still drive the boat as is and upgrade as you go.

My 83' cost 4200.00 with trailer, cover and bimini with the original owners brochure/manuals/history from local owner. Boat needed nothing to run other then gas. I wanted more but knew buying this boat would require some elbow grease and time to get it where I want. So far this is what it has cost to have the boat right where I want it and stay that way for years to come....

-250 in trailer stuff to replace aging parts and keep it safe.
-1800 for new carpet and interior (scheduled to be done later this month) *I stripped the boat myself and took out all the carpet and sanded the floor to help lessen the cost*
-500 for a complete buff, gelcoat restore, polish and wax after doing it myself gave only moderate results.
-50.00 on Teak restoration products to get the wood where it needed to be.
-125.00 to have the cover resewn and stitched up like new with a few vents added in the roof area

Here are some threads that might help you see what you are getting into...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38300
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=37540
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=37578

Add it up and I have only 6925.00 into it and I learned a ton about the boat along the way. I could have found a new boat for possibly the same money but I wanted a classic S&S and wanted a project.

Decide what you want and go from there but it can be done lots of guys on here have done it!

JTR

Sounds like you have a beautiful S&S. When I first went and looked at this boat I thought it was turn key. I had no idea about the stringes. Im talking with another member on here about there S&S they have for sale. Now this is a turn key boat, 1985 S&S. Im at max budget if it all works out. You guy have really helped out alot. Replacing stringers doesnt really bother me. What bothers me is if i drop $5500 on the 81 and it never see's water this summer. Im only 25 so im pretty excited to be able to even have the free money to get one. Also being 25 its like it the only one out there for sale. Ive wanted a mastercraft for about 6 years now just never had the money. Im trying to be smart about it. NOT EASY!

1redTA
01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Replacing stringers doesnt really bother me.

I have a set that need replacing:) on my 81. So have been intently following Meadracings thread http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35863 as the non wood approach is better for me

03geetee
01-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Sounds like you have a beautiful S&S. When I first went and looked at this boat I thought it was turn key. I had no idea about the stringes. Im talking with another member on here about there S&S they have for sale. Now this is a turn key boat, 1985 S&S. Im at max budget if it all works out. You guy have really helped out alot. Replacing stringers doesnt really bother me. What bothers me is if i drop $5500 on the 81 and it never see's water this summer. Im only 25 so im pretty excited to be able to even have the free money to get one. Also being 25 its like it the only one out there for sale. Ive wanted a mastercraft for about 6 years now just never had the money. Im trying to be smart about it. NOT EASY!

I still think in todays market you can easily get an all fiberglass 83 and up S&S for your budget just keep looking.

JTR

josepcedwards
01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
I agree! It will come in time.

phickman
01-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Another good one, pretty boat that would most likely buff out real pretty.
http://augusta.craigslist.org/boa/2170816493.html

ctjahn
01-21-2011, 09:25 PM
I paid $4700 for mine (1978) with wood stringers in August 2010... recent refreshed motor, decent interior, cover and trailer. Needed some work but could be used as it was (over due maint - hoses, belts, impeller, fuel lines, etc; next up electronics) for an extreemly particular person. (me)

Owned by three people all on the same lake since new. Skied behind and then put away in a garage at the end of the day.

Deals are out there in a very good buyers market.

Feel free to contact me with questions

Cj ctjahn@hotmail.com

josepcedwards
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Another good one, pretty boat that would most likely buff out real pretty.
http://augusta.craigslist.org/boa/2170816493.html

I looked at this boat when i did not have the money. Now the tables are turned. Im not that far from him either. EMAIL SENT!

josepcedwards
01-21-2011, 09:47 PM
I paid $4700 for mine (1978) with wood stringers in August 2010... recent refreshed motor, decent interior, cover and trailer. Needed some work but could be used as it was (over due maint - hoses, belts, impeller, fuel lines, etc; next up electronics) for an extreemly particular person. (me)

Owned by three people all on the same lake since new. Skied behind and then put away in a garage at the end of the day.

Deals are out there in a very good buyers market.

Feel free to contact me with questions

Cj ctjahn@hotmail.com

Thanks CJ! Did you have to replace the stringers?

ctjahn
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks CJ! Did you have to replace the stringers?

Nope! Stringers and floor were/are solid (they were good). bottom is completely clean without cracks. I think there are only three small spots on the entire boat with cracks due to an impact of some sort. I am only doing all the other stuff because I am a nut about detail and take great pride in maintaining my own stuff. (check out my motor detail)

I should add it is the shape I wanted and grew up with (Late 70s curved windshield) but a less desirable color (I did settle for that - Dark green stripe over light green gel with a textured top). I looked for 6 months and by the time I bought it summer was virually over (Technically mid to end of August.)

My ideal boat was a 79? (Black window trim) My dream boat was black S&S with a red stripe, black carpet and red interior (often seen attempting to sell on ebay for 10-12k never selling)

Its a buyers market, be patient and find the right boat for you... there is penty of time.

cj

josepcedwards
01-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Nope! Stringers and floor were/are solid (they were good). bottom is completely clean without cracks. I think there are only three small spots on the entire boat with cracks due to an impact of some sort. I am only doing all the other stuff because I am a nut about detail and take great pride in maintaining my own stuff. (check out my motor detail)

I should add it is the shape I wanted and grew up with (Late 70s curved windshield) but a less desirable color (I did settle for that - Dark green stripe over light green gel with a textured top). I looked for 6 months and by the time I bought it summer was virually over (Technically mid to end of August.)

My ideal boat was a 79? (Black window trim) My dream boat was black S&S with a red stripe, black carpet and red interior (often seen attempting to sell on ebay for 10-12k never selling)

Its a buyers market, be patient and find the right boat for you... there is penty of time.

cj

I just seen that black S&S on cl for $11900.00!! He lives like two towns over from me. Little much!

josepcedwards
01-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I talk to the guy in augusta and he sent me more pics of the boat. The outside look oxidized. What would I have to do to fix that and how hard would that be.

03geetee
01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
I talk to the guy in augusta and he sent me more pics of the boat. The outside look oxidized. What would I have to do to fix that and how hard would that be.

Check the links in the threads I posted...

JTR

americanskierJim
03-12-2011, 07:23 PM

My LTD is an 80 and I have the square windshield it is stock.

josepcedwards
03-12-2011, 11:38 PM
My LTD is an 80 and I have the square windshield it is stock.

I love your boat Jim!

americanskierJim
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks Josepced, a lot of hard work but the play time is where all the fun is now.

josepcedwards
03-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks Josepced, a lot of hard work but the play time is where all the fun is now.

I know the felling. I pulled mine over to the lake today just to fine one of the water hoses was leaking.