PDA

View Full Version : oil in starboard exhaust port

ole miss boarder
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
So, about a month ago before the first freeze of the year I was winterizing my boat. I was just getting through and was doing an inspection of the entire boat before i covered it for the next few months, when I took my flashlight and looked up inside each of my exhaust ports and found a little bit of oil sitting( not pooled up by any means, just enough to be able to tell it was oil) way up the back of the starboard port. My boat is a 99' prostar 205 with the lt1. Can anybody drop some thoughts, maybe tell me if this is common, or if there is a problem. Any input well be helpful thanks. ....Oh and i had run the boat that day and the day before, and it ran fine, the oil pressure was normal and my oil was clean and at a normal level when i checked after i had completed the winterization posses and was doing my final checks.

JLeuck64
01-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Dude...
That has to be water you're seeing! The exhaust mufflers have traps in them to reduce noise. They also trap water too, don't worry bout it ( ;

ole miss boarder
01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Well thats the thing, I taped a rag to a broom stick handle in order to get it the rag far enough up in the port and I swabbed it around up there and it was definitely oil. It was very minimal but it was oil; and at first glance I thought it looked like oil, but like you said, the mufflers have traps in them and i knew this and told myself, "surely it must just be water, but I will check just to be on the safe side". Sure enough... oil.

FrankSchwab
01-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Now I'm not going to be able to sleep until I go out and shine a flashlight into my boat's nether regions. Thanks, thanks a lot.

/frank

ole miss boarder
01-17-2011, 11:06 PM
im keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing

JLeuck64
01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
lol Frank!

You crack me up! (looking up the tailpipe... reminds me of a good joke!)

But seriously, if there is oily residue it can be that or it can be fuel. These things (LT-1's) do run pig rich so depending on how it was running when you shut it off it could just be that rich fuel mix you are seeing. If on the other hand you are having an oil consumption problem it might show up on one of the spark plugs from that bank (if it were the piston rings). If it was a bad valve stem seal it still might show up as a residue on the spark plug from the intake valve stem seal. If it were an exhaust valve stem seal then it would only show up in the exhaust like you are seeing.

So, take a good look at the plugs halfway through next season for signs of carbon fouling from burning oil. Also monitor oil level to make sure it is not consuming in between oil/filter changes.

ski/hunt
01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Is it possible it could be tranny oil? If there is a crack in the cooler your getting trans. oil mixed into the exhaust water

JLeuck64
01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
It most certainly is! Great suggestion

gotta_ski
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Did you fog the motor? Couldn't it be unburned fogging oil accumulating in the bend of the pipe?

Ole Miss Rebels
01-24-2011, 12:30 PM
it's lsu's fault. and that loudmouth blowhard from cowville.

flipper
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Did you fog the motor? Couldn't it be unburned fogging oil accumulating in the bend of the pipe?
That was my first thought too