PDA

View Full Version : Ski Advice

ctjahn
01-15-2011, 09:31 PM
So....

Last time I skied was about 10 years ago or more.. (Used to ski a ton in the past). Now that I have a new to me boat I am excited to get on the water again. I have an OLD NEON Obrein Krypton (Matches my terribly ugly neon wet suit) but the front binding is worn out and keeps sliding out when any pressure is applied (I remember it from the last time I was out a decade or so ago). So I guess I have to replace the binding or buy a new ski (which I really dont want to spend the money on a nice ski while I shake out the cobwebs, make sure I CAN ski and most likely need to buy a separate pair so my wife can give it a go....)

I am a 35 year old, relatively fit, 5'8 150 pounds and pretty much what I consider an ameteur. During a racing accident about 5 years ago I had a double break dislocation in my rt ankle and now have a bionic right anke (more or less with metal and screws). In the past I skied with my right foot back and my left foot forward (Snowboard the same way; cant snow ski any more due to the pressure on the bone and I havent had my boots customized yet but I might give it a go myself soon.)

So, do I spend $100 on a binding or buy a new ski. If I should get a ski, any suggestions? Any boot suggestions? Open to ideas and new technology but dont want to break the bank...

Any input would be fantastic.
Thx in advance!
Cj

D3skier
01-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I would definitely consider a new ski you can always find good deals on demos or even used skis that people post on here. another good place to watch is flebay. also check out h2osmosis.com or even call trophy lakes for demos they are selling. all depending on how aggressive of a ski you want and what you plan on doing in the future would determine what type of ski to look at.

Jerseydave
01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm no expert on newer skis, but they are SO much lighter than the old skis. Boots are way more advanced also. If you're serious about skiing again, look into some new equip.

But IMHO, since you're only 150 lbs you should be barefooting! $400 for a new BF suit and rope/handle......no ski needed!

EricB
01-16-2011, 12:26 AM
ctjahn;
All I can provide is some real life experience for you.
I am a die-hard slalom skier. Not all that good, but that does not matter. I still live to be on top of the water. Several years ago (10 to be correct) I contemplated the same question. I had a 10 yr old ski at that time and was thinking about upgrading. I did alot of research and what I found was that the ski materials and designs had changed enough that almost everybody had promoted changing to a ski of the vintage 2000 or newer. Mine was a 1988. Since yours is neon, it"s circia 1990 to 1992.
I bought a 200 Obrien and was immediately impressed by the handling of the ski. Since then I've upgraded 2X times. All I can pass on to you is that get the heck out of that sk you now own and get a new(er) one. It will be alot more enjoyable as you re-enter the water (if you know what I mean). Buy one on Craigslist or off the internet or whatever, just "upgrade" for safety and your sake. Guaranteed: It will make the re-entry process easier and alot more fun!

ctjahn
01-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys.... I may be convinced...
Any resources/guides/info to help me pick one? (Length, tunnel depth, etc)

Cj

maxpower220
01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Do an internet search for ski length based on your body weight. After you find the "right" ski, contact the manufacturer and set the ski per their recommendation. After riding for a while, then you can make changes.
New skis are MUCH better than skis from 10-12 years ago. I haven't made any changes to the set up on my ski in the 2 years I have had it.

JPK
01-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Check out www.ski-it-again.com

Patrick Hardy
01-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Buy a new ski. Ski technology has improved tremendously in ten years. I would recommend Wiley's ski shop. Check out their web site and give them a call on any and all questions you have. They are great people to work with and will demo ski's. I would also recommend that you ski with the repaired ankle in a rear toe plate binding.
http://www.wileyski.com/

ctjahn
01-21-2011, 09:13 PM
While I agree. A new ski would be awesome and it would be nice....

I had some adversion to spending $300 or so when I am unsure if I actually can ski on the bionic anke...So, I think I fixed it...The foot size adjustment was separated just slightly but enough to introduce slop in the binding pushing the pin out of alignment and out of the notch allowing me to pull the boot off the ski. Replaced some screws and tested much better....

(Again, cant snow ski anymore or roller blade due to the pressure it causes on by extra large ankle bone which I hope to work on this winter by modifying the boots; I can however snowboard no problem and mountain bike on a regular basis.)

Cj

gatorguy
01-21-2011, 10:05 PM
but the front binding is worn out and keeps sliding out when any pressure is applied (I remember it from the last time I was out a decade or so ago). So I guess I have to replace the binding or buy a new ski
Cj

I had the same problem with an old adjustable binding on an HO ski I had. I took the binding off the ski and screwed the sliding toe piece to the mounting plate turning it into a fixed binding. Worked pretty well