PDA

View Full Version : fender/bumper clasp

LaRue
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
our boating life requires docking the boat quite a bit, even days at a time. i have always used two fenders and fender line. always kind of a pain to adjust length of rope. i see Overtons (see photo) has an adjustable clasp but fear it would damage gel coat since i would be using cleat and not rail. I am fearful of the suction type holders.

Any thoughts out there for something quick and dependable for adjusting and holding fenders?

Sodar
01-14-2011, 04:40 PM
I have seen these used before on cleats, but have never liked to use them. I mean is tying it off to a cleat or tying a clove hitch around a railing or tower leg really that difficult?

LaRue
01-14-2011, 04:44 PM
no tower legs. :(

not difficult but thought if there was something user friendly out there it might be nice. kinda a pain to dock and undock 5-6 times/day and have to ensure the fenders are at the right height every time.

Kevin&Annie
01-14-2011, 05:12 PM
public dock?

LaRue
01-14-2011, 05:49 PM
yes, public docks with very little provisions in the way of safe docking.

BTV
01-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Check out a "Fender Tender || from Overtons. I found a bumper with one of these attached last summer. It clips to my windshield frame and protects the middle of the boat pretty well. Doesn't solve your problem, but may help.

Harry Reynolds
01-15-2011, 09:17 AM
You will to dust off the sewing machine for this one. I ran into the same issue when we first got our X2. I went to the local West Marine and bought a bunch of 1" wide, black nylon strapping and a handfull of snap-clasps (like on a backpack). Sorted out all of the lengths needed on the boat and made a set of custom fender lines. They are dedicated to a location, small enough to go thru the cleats and quick to take on and off. I sewed the ends on after we soted out the lengths, but you could use adjusters if you didn't want to sew them. Overall I think it is one of the nicest things we have done on our boat.

BGcraft
01-15-2011, 10:18 AM
+1 on the nylon straps.

REI sells a wide assortment with quick snaps.

Good luck!

BG

LaRue
01-15-2011, 10:56 AM
You will to dust off the sewing machine for this one. I ran into the same issue when we first got our X2. I went to the local West Marine and bought a bunch of 1" wide, black nylon strapping and a handfull of snap-clasps (like on a backpack). Sorted out all of the lengths needed on the boat and made a set of custom fender lines. They are dedicated to a location, small enough to go thru the cleats and quick to take on and off. I sewed the ends on after we soted out the lengths, but you could use adjusters if you didn't want to sew them. Overall I think it is one of the nicest things we have done on our boat.

sounds like a good way for my mother to get involved with boating :rolleyes: would you happen to have any photos?

Harry Reynolds
01-16-2011, 08:58 AM
LaRue, I dont have any pics and the boat is packed away for winter at our dry storage. Take a look at a backpack and that's what I copied. I will look around for some pics.

kingwoodlee
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
As long as you have a tower like my X-10, then you can use the 1" adjustable webbing straps mentioned above, and thread then thru the grommet hole on a "gladiator rope keeper" and then thru your fender. You can get them from Overton's. You can then take the bumpers off and on using the velcro in the rope keeper and mounting to your tower legs. Works great, and everything stays together. You can still adjust it up or down using the 1" straps if necessary.

deminimis
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Some good ideas here.

bjames
08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I always wondered why a $100K boat doesnt come with a midship cleat. I am trying to figure out a way to hange a fender midship. I have a power tower, so nothing in the area to tie to.

Dylan
08-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Would these work?

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/big/39006.gif

tph
08-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Instead of hanging the fenders off the boat we connect two 12" diameter buoys to the dock at the right locations. Works great.