PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot/Training Boom question...

03geetee
01-14-2011, 03:27 AM
I did a search for a bit but didnt get the exact answer I was looking for. I have a few nieces and nephews in the learn to ski age and would love to start teaching them the joy of skiing (why I bought the boat to begin with). My question is since I am the only one in this family (in laws mostly dont have any ski experience) that have some knowledge of this is it ok to mount a boom on the starboard (drivers side) of the boat? Most seem to prefer the port side but for me teaching and docking would be easier if the kids were on my side. Im sure the one of the top reasons is so the driver can just focus on driving period, but I have a quiet lake in the am hours and it wouldnt be a huge issue when teaching the kids at slow speeds in the bay.

Any thoughts?

Also I am under the impression that my boat would take a straight boom with the windshield being in front of the pylon is that correct?

Thanks for any help.

JTR

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Yes....you can run the boom out of the driver side. The only issue may be the room you'll have as the driver. You may need to slide the driver seat pretty close to the steering wheel to allow the boom to clear the back of the seat depending on the location of your pylon. On my '91 this puts the steering wheel right up in the driver's chest. You may find that running the boom off the passenger side isn't as bad as you think. I find it allows me to work with kids on the boom pretty well. Give it a try each way and see what you think.....

03geetee
01-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info!

JTR

snork
01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
I do believe the tower mount boom is multi directional port and starboard

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I do believe the tower mount boom is multi directional port and starboard

Yikes! No tower on that beautiful classic 83 Stars and Stripes.

Mgboyd25
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes....you can run the boom out of the driver side. The only issue may be the room you'll have as the driver. You may need to slide the driver seat pretty close to the steering wheel to allow the boom to clear the back of the seat depending on the location of your pylon. On my '91 this puts the steering wheel right up in the driver's chest. You may find that running the boom off the passenger side isn't as bad as you think. I find it allows me to work with kids on the boom pretty well. Give it a try each way and see what you think.....

Agreed......
We tried the set up on a 92 190 and there was just no leg room for the driver. It may be okay if your shorter but I'm 6 foot and could not do it.

03geetee
01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Agreed......
We tried the set up on a 92 190 and there was just no leg room for the driver. It may be okay if your shorter but I'm 6 foot and could not do it.

Never thought about that great info since I am 6' 2.

Thank you and there will be no TUMOR growing out of this classic.

JTR

kevkan
01-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Want to buy a Barefoot International, straight boom, that I used on my '85? I'd have to check what it would cost to ship, but I'd take $150 for the boom itself. Shipping may make this noneconomical.

03geetee
01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Want to buy a Barefoot International, straight boom, that I used on my '85? I'd have to check what it would cost to ship, but I'd take $150 for the boom itself. Shipping may make this noneconomical.

Well for 175.00 new I would just buy a new one and have them pick up the shipping, but for a better price I would consider it. I have found one for 100 plus shipping, where are you located in the midwest? I am just south of Chitown.

JTR

sethro
01-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Certainly someone will know for sure, but I would think you could just get the universal contour boom and "countour" it around the driver's seat. $150 is a GREAT price for a complete BFI boom...shipping or not.

Lance
01-15-2011, 10:24 PM
I have an 87 and have taught a lot of kids to ski on the boom and think it might be better on passenger side as you end up having to help them a lot getting their skis on and I think it would be hard to do that from the drivers seat (at least on the 87 because the side windscreen would be hard to reach over). setup on drivers side would then require you to step over back of seat or go around engine. getting out of seat 10 time to put skis on the passenger side isn't too convenient either but might be a little better.

this doesn't address the other docking issue that you mention.

kevkan
01-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Well for 175.00 new I would just buy a new one and have them pick up the shipping, but for a better price I would consider it. I have found one for 100 plus shipping, where are you located in the midwest? I am just south of Chitown.

JTR

Where are you finding these $175 BI booms? That's some info you should share with the group, cause BI thinks they are worth $470! I'd recommend you buy the new one for that price.

03geetee
01-16-2011, 03:21 AM
Where are you finding these $175 BI booms? That's some info you should share with the group, cause BI thinks they are worth $470! I'd recommend you buy the new one for that price.

What I meant is I wont buy a used one for 175 when I have found a used one for 100. If I was to spend that much I would just get new and thats what I meant.

No harm no foul.

JTR

milkmania
01-16-2011, 12:17 PM
I did a search for a bit but didnt get the exact answer I was looking for. I have a few nieces and nephews in the learn to ski age and would love to start teaching them the joy of skiing (why I bought the boat to begin with). My question is since I am the only one in this family (in laws mostly dont have any ski experience) that have some knowledge of this is it ok to mount a boom on the starboard (drivers side) of the boat? Most seem to prefer the port side but for me teaching and docking would be easier if the kids were on my side. Im sure the one of the top reasons is so the driver can just focus on driving period, but I have a quiet lake in the am hours and it wouldnt be a huge issue when teaching the kids at slow speeds in the bay.

Any thoughts?

Also I am under the impression that my boat would take a straight boom with the windshield being in front of the pylon is that correct?

Thanks for any help.

JTR

starboard/port, it's all good 8p

if I had young ones, I'd go port if possible....
but, you'll be traveling slow enough that you'll have good communication either side :twocents:

03geetee
01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Awesome pic!

JTR

ted shred
01-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Many years ago I had a boom set up on my 83 S&S. We tried both sides, but found it worked better on the port side.

atlfootr
01-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Easier for me on diver's side .... let's me jump in 'n out when I'm next to the boom :D

JDKline
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I have a 1995 ProStar 190 SD edition will your boom fit that boat or do I need the contour boom?

Cloaked
01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
I have a 1995 ProStar 190 SD edition will your boom fit that boat or do I need the contour boom?Contour. Rule of thumb is; if your windshield extends back past the pylon, it will require a contoured bar.

JDKline
01-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the info. I have two small kids who are at the age of learning to ski and am looking for a used Contour boom any suggestions where I might find one?

ghind
01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Booms are my favorite topic!!!! :D:rolleyes:

I think you should hedge your bets like this: (my wife and I are the two centre footers, shot taken just climbing out about to buzz a whip around the other ski club from our lake!)

ghind
01-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Or my real all time favorite boom (took us months to design, build and fit this one)
http://www.skirecord.com/media/114Record/114SkiRecord.jpg

web
02-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Am I thinking right here? I've got a '91 and a straight boom seems to fit, but I'm planning to get a contour boom anyway. My idea with the contour is that I'll be able to angle it a little bit towards the front of the boat and get in front of the side spray. The primary use will be for teaching the kids (and myself) to foot and I think they'll learn faster if I get them out of the spray. Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

ghind
02-22-2011, 12:48 AM
You can buy boom extensions to get past the spray. I don't see a problem with the countour idea. You can also shorten the ropes you have on your current boom to move it forward.

I use Dynex Dux on my boom www.strongrope.com much better than stainless cables. Easier on the boats, skis etc and MUCH easier to handle. Stronger too.

Donald80SN
02-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Kevkan,

I have sent you an e-mail. I would like to purchase your Straight Boom.

Donald

web
02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
You can buy boom extensions to get past the spray. I don't see a problem with the countour idea. You can also shorten the ropes you have on your current boom to move it forward.

Right. Shortening the cables is the idea. But I can't do it with a straight boom because the boom is already right at the edge of the windshield. With a contour boom I can do it. Of course the other option is the kids just toughen up and deal with whatever they get...