PDA

View Full Version : Transmission troubles

JEREMY79
07-13-2005, 09:53 PM
I am leaking transmission fluid somewhere. I cannot find a leak around the tranny. Well I kinda half as.ed looked. But it will out to the minumum amout in about three days. I dont where to look. Could the transmission cooler have something to do with this?

MarkP
07-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Not really.

You just put this all together, right?? I would look at the lines, especially at the connections. Then look at the rear and the front of the transmission.

Cloaked
07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Not really.

You just put this all together, right?? I would look at the lines, especially at the connections. Then look at the rear and the front of the transmission.
True dat. That's about the only places for a leak that I can think of. Patience.

JEREMY79
07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Are you saying I'm a bad mechanic??? :purplaugh

No I never took the tranny apart. As far as I know all the transmission is 26 years old.
I will look at the front and rear tomorrow. If thats where its leaking what am I looking at??

MarkP
07-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Are you saying I'm a bad mechanic??? :purplaugh

If thats where its leaking what am I looking at??

Ah, The transmission..

That would be a seal. But Iíll bet you might find a leak at a connection as your line meets the transmission or as it goes into the cooler.

JEREMY79
07-13-2005, 10:51 PM
I'll sure check it and see. I could just keep adding fluid I guess :D

MarkP
07-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Bring it up to PA.:steering: . Iíll give it the once over..

JEREMY79
07-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Guess its only fair you brought yours down here.

Since my little rebuild it runs like a raped goat. :woohoo:

6ballsisall
07-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Jeremy, did you get an idea what kind of gallons per hour it burns now?

FrankSchwab
07-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Could the transmission cooler have something to do with this?

It certainly could. My Maristar is currently down due to a leak in the transmission cooler, waiting for a new one to arrive. I just couldn't take it back out knowing I was dumping oil straight into the lake.

It had exactly the same symptoms as you describe - transmission fluid disappearing, and not ending up in the bilge. Believe me, if you dumped a quart of transmission fluid into your bilge, you'd know it.

I took my cooler off, capped one oil fitting and put 20 psi of pressure on the other. Sure enough, there was an internal leak.

The transmission didn't have any water in it, thank goodness. The cooler is on the suction side of the raw water pump in my boat, so there's never any pressure on the water side, though there will be some pressure on the oil side; thus the tranny will pump oil into the raw water stream.

Replace it. They're reasonably inexpensive ($65 at my local dealer).

/frank

JEREMY79
07-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Jeremy, did you get an idea what kind of gallons per hour it burns now?

a lot :steering:
I didnt really get an idea. I know my speed is incredible and power out of the hole is unreal. Compared to what it used to be.