PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft trailer -Registration-

Machiel
01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi all !

Ordered my brandnew 2011 X-25 two weeks ago.
I doubt which trailer I should take. I really love the mastercraft trailer, but I can't get a registration complete due to stupid dutch rules here in the netherlands..:confused::mad:
for example: Brakes, connector (clutch/jaw.. don't know how to say) should be all different

Is there anybody here who have idea's what to do?

Thanks !!:)

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Are you saying in the Netherlands the brakes that come on the Mastercraft trailer would need to be change to meet the laws of you country or that the standard light connector and brake hook ups are different over there?

JohnE
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi all !

Ordered my brandnew 2011 X-25 two weeks ago.
I doubt which trailer I should take. I really love the mastercraft trailer, but I can't get a registration complete due to stupid dutch rules here in the netherlands..:confused::mad:
for example: Brakes, connector (clutch/jaw.. don't know how to say) should be all different

Is there anybody here who have idea's what to do?

Thanks !!:)

I don't completely understand the question. Are there different requirements for trailers in the Netherlands than here in the US? If so I'd look for an aftermarket trailer maker to make or modify a trailer to fit the X24 hull. Should just be a matter of getting the bunks properly positoined. FWIW, there are a number of aftermarket trailers that are as good or better than the MC trailer.

Machiel
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Are you saying in the Netherlands the brakes that come on the Mastercraft trailer would need to be change to meet the laws of you country or that the standard light connector and brake hook ups are different over there?

Correct, the brakes that come on the trailer does not meet the requirements. They may not hydraulic. I the netherlands they call it "Breakaway brake". There should be a system on the trailer for when a situation is there that the trailer breaks off the towbar, the trailer should brake automatically. All other electronical/wires etc are different too

JohnE
01-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Correct, the brakes that come on the trailer does not meet the requirements. They may not hydraulic. I the netherlands they call it "Breakaway brake". There should be a system on the trailer for when a situation is there that the trailer breaks off the towbar, the trailer should brake automatically. All other electronical/wires etc are different too

MC trailer has hydraulic brakes and the break away cable that you mention.

Machiel
01-12-2011, 03:27 PM
So ugly !!

http://www.watersportparadise.nl/trailer/8170_kalf_KBT2700_trailer/Kalf_trailer_M/Kalf_KBE_2700_trailer-1.jpg

Machiel
01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
MC trailer has hydraulic brakes and the break away cable that you mention.

Sorry, what I meant is: I suppose in the netherlands it is not allowed to have hydraulic brakes..

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Sorry, what I meant is: I suppose in the netherlands it is not allowed to have hydraulic brakes..

So they must be electically activated?

Machiel
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Uhm, no.. Hard to explain.. let's try
http://www.trailerlock.nl/picdb/v5/826/152718.jpg
When the car hits the brake, this thing on the picture will push into eachother and the trailer brakes.. That how it should work :)
How does the brake works on US trailers?

ddanenberger
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
that's a mechanical brake actuator. It would be hard to retorfit a hydraulic trailer. Lots of new parts.

Machiel
01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah That's Why I hate this Stupid dutch requirements

Anyway, Thanks!! I really need to find a trailer modifier who can build trailer like this or transform MC trailer into 'for dutch legal' trailer

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 04:35 PM
The good news, when your new X25 is on the water, the trailer wont matter!

Congrats on you soon to be new boat.

Machiel
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
The good news, when your new X25 is on the water, the trailer wont matter!

Congrats on you soon to be new boat.

Hahahaha LOL :-)
But I am often on the road, and when the combination is on the road, it must ROCK !!! :-D

bturner2
01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Noticed the anti pedestrian bars on the side of the Dutch trailer. Lovely. If our politicians have their way these will be coming to our states also.

pmkkdx
01-12-2011, 05:24 PM
merely a surge brake system ... not sure why it couldn't be hydraulic surge brake?

surge brake actuator system work by the surge or push of the trailer toward the tow vehicle during deceleration which automatically synchronizes the trailer brakes with the tow vehicle brakes. as the trailer pushes against the vehicle, the actuator telescopes together and applies to the master cylinder supplying hydraulic pressure to the trailer brakes.

likewise, there should be either a cable that attaches to the tow vehicle either mechanically or electrically thru the light connection, that if the trailer were to break away from the tow vehicle, it activates the brakes on the trailer bringing it to a fairly quick stop (hopefully still upright).

I guess I would need more information on the laws / rules of what your requirements are over there.

bturner2
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
It doesn't matter what works as long as it's government approved. Since when has logic completely dictated government regulation? I'm surprised the boat hasn't been fitted with a prop guard.

hbomb
01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
From Australia......
from what you are saying and it is difficult to understand, do you mean.........when the car is travelling and then begins to brake, the forward motion will activate the trailer brakes......
if that is the case, the Mastercraft trailer is set up exactly that way..........
when you brake, momentum actuates the brakes on the trailer
it also has a wire which is attached to the towing hitch that if trailer breaks away, the brake are automatically applied to the trailer
wiring....... not sure on laws for lights in dutchy land but here in Australia, we have to have a separate tailights (red), brake light (red) and indicators..... I took out the oval MC lights and replaced with new LEDS which fitted staright over the ovals and look factory fit and wired to a standard 7 pin round plug, again Australian regs. I retained the oval reversing lights in the mudguards and ensured trailer was wired for reversing lights to ensure the 'reverse unlock" fitted on the trailer worked....... otherwise I would have to put a pin into the hitch hole eveytime and that would be a pain
I managed to rewire the trailer utilising exisiting holes/part fitting and looks a factory fit.... if you think about it you should be ok
the other thing also is the ball size...... standard 2 inch...... Australia we are 50mm so all was ok from that perspective

All works fantastic.....

Barefooter92
01-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Can you talk to Mastercraft? Your putting alot of cash in there hands and they cant get you a trailer that works? Seems to me they should have some options for you. I know my trailer is matched to my boat. No better and safer way to haul her. Your willing to pay for the upgrade to Dutch standards. MC ought to be able to acomedate you.

Machiel
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I spoke to my local mastercraft dealer, they can't order a trailer special build for the dutch requirements :-@

mastercraft210
01-15-2011, 04:52 PM
It is not hard to explain.
In the Netherlands it's not allowed to use hydrolic brakes.You may only use brakes controled by a cable.So no fuel line's.The rest what Machiel talks about is the same like the us.When you loose the trailer it activate the brakes.That is the same as in the Netherlands.That's why in the Netherlands all the trailer have the old brakes like the old american trailers and no disc brakes.Although the us trailers are great but that is the law.
And the second thing is the head off the trailer is an other size so that's not good.
The third thing are the suspension .That's not allowed.
And the size off the trailer.In the Netherlands the roads are not that wide so the us trailers are almost the max size allowed on the road.
When you buy a us trailer to get a license on it you need new axles and a new towbar head with the break cables.Then when you have a break schedule you can bring the trailer to the checkpoint for a licence.
But with all the extra cost ist not wise to do.