PDA

View Full Version : TT Admin quick fix for the spam

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Changing the human verification to question and answer will work. It is easy and should work well.

http://www.mikesell.net/vbull.jpg

Then just add a few question like.

What number is this Maristar 210?

The X30 is made by what boat company?
Mastercraft

What is the second to last word in this sentence, Prostar 197?
Prostar

I'm sure people on the forums would be happy to toss up some questions and answers. :D

IP subnet banning.

As displayed ban subnets as in:

zen.spamhaus.org has blacklisted this IP - 95.220.215.27

In fact do the entire sub net 95.220.215.* and maybe even 95.220.*.*

http://www.mikesell.net/vbull2.jpg

If nothing else the queued registartions. This might be the most admin/mod work load, but you'll surely stop them

http://www.mikesell.net/vbull1.jpg

scott023
01-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Cripes, that seems more than easy enough to set up.

You've provided some great, helpful ideas to assist the forum. Thanks for your efforts.

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure what version TT is running but even 3.8 has the question and answer verification system in it. Also, if the board is running a version that is that old and doesn't have it, I'd gladly pay the $175 bucks to upgrade!

SkiDog
01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure what version TT is running but even 3.8 has the question and answer verification system in it. Also, if the board is running a version that is that old and doesn't have it, I'd gladly pay the $175 bucks to upgrade!

We have a guy on another forum thats already made all kinds of suggestions to the admin people here, and it appears that they just don't wanna take a suggestion from anybody, who MIGHT just know a little bit more about a VB forum than they do! So if thats the case, just let the spammers run wild, as they are doing NOW!

scott023
01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe this is part of the plan so they can drop TT altogether?

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Someone is going need to write some custom questions, very soon.

Double D
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Only 3 out of 27 new posts are legit this morning. Houston, we have a problem!! And its only going to get worse. :(

JohnE
01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Cleaned it up. Again, these spammers were registered prior to TTAdmin's modifications yesterday.

CantRepeat
01-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Cleaned it up. Again, these spammers were registered prior to TTAdmin's modifications yesterday.

Yeah, did look at their registation dates. All of them are from the reCAPTCHA system time frame. As long as there are no new reg dates we'll be ok. Hopefully everyone can get back to post legit stuff now.

FrankSchwab
01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Hopefully everyone can get back to post legit stuff now.

How long have you been on here? Always good to greet the newbies...
8p

/frank

CantRepeat
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM
8p

/frank

lol, Frank. It's just Coz and his crew screwing up the normal gig. :D

I gotta tell you, there are some really great people on here. Weather it be a joke, an informative post, or just poke in the ribs. Good people for sure.

SkiDog
01-14-2011, 09:59 AM
8p

/frank

Come to the DS and get the greeting he deserves!:D:D:D

Maristar210
01-14-2011, 10:52 AM

I gotta tell you, there are some really great people on here. Weather it be a joke, an informative post, or just poke in the ribs. Good people for sure.

You mean except for Scott, right?

CantRepeat
01-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Come to the DS and get the greeting he deserves!:D:D:D

lol, been there. You set me up a while back.

CantRepeat
01-14-2011, 11:09 AM
You mean except for Maristar210, right?

Pretty much.

SkiDog
01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
lol, been there. You set me up a while back.

Couldn't hang, Huh?:o

coz
01-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Easy there spamabama, don't be mixing me in with those POS's :mad:

CantRepeat
01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Couldn't hang, Huh?:o

Dunno, I never logged in. :D

Easy there spamabama, don't be mixing me in with those POS's :mad:

Just kidding you Coz. Besides, I may make it back to Parker at some point and I'm gonna need a place to flop. :D

coz
01-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Just kidding you Coz. Besides, I may make it back to Parker at some point and I'm gonna need a place to flop. :D

Getting ready to head out in about an hour, gonna be a nice weekend on the river. :headbang:

CantRepeat
01-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Getting ready to head out in about an hour, gonna be a nice weekend on the river. :headbang:

A high of 74 for you today. lol we are going to hit 45 at 2:30 pm. Not as bad as some folks have it right now but I'd take 74 for sure.

SkiDog
01-14-2011, 05:42 PM

Soooo, I wasted my time on you huh?
:mad:

thatsmrmastercraft
01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Soooo, I wasted my time on you huh?
:mad:

I've heard it said a man has to know his limitations. :D

TTAdmin
01-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Other than moderating new members, we have implemented the suggestions...banning spammer house IP addresses with wildcards, as well as implementing the human verification question.

Current spammers were in before we implemented the new and are being removed as spotted.

Discussing now the workload on mods associated with verifying new members, etc.

ski_king
01-25-2011, 09:13 AM
By looking at the newest member's profile (jennay727), I can see there is still work to do........

Now they are posting in the General Prayer Request thread.........

CantRepeat
01-25-2011, 09:52 AM
The spam in the prayer request thread is an old spammer, pre fixes. But you're right Jennay727 does look scripted.

I'm not sure how the question answer come in vBull, but if the software comes with canned defaults those should be changed to something about MCs and this site with trying to add as many as can be done by the admins schedule.