PDA

View Full Version : Swivel Captains Chair on 2000 205V? Possible?

2000205V
01-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Hey Folks,

I was thinking that over the winter I would do a few new projects to my 2000 205V and one of the things I wanted to do is add a swivel stoop so I can turn the captains chair sideways. When we're not underway I am typically sitting in the captains chair sideways chattin with the crew and can get uncomfortable with my legs hanging over the side of the chair. I was also thinking about an option to raise and lower the seat for the days I just want my hair above the windshield in the wind. Also my wife is short and when all ballasted up the nose sits higher than she is comfortable with and sitting a few inches higher would make a big difference to her comfort at the helm.

I did a TT search but didn't turn up anything useful. Anyone know of a swivel stoop that has a low enough profile to sit fairly flat, will work in conjunction with the current slider and will raise 6-8"?

I was thinking I could remove the fiberglass base, and replace with a low profile hydraulic stoop (like they have on fishing boats). My other question after sourcing such a thing is how I bolt it to the floor so it is 100% secure? I don't want to just lag bolt it into the floor ... and I am not sure if I can reach it to thrubolt it if I remove the gas tank.

Has anyone done this?

I know I'm asking for a lot but any ideas would be appreciated!

Many thanks!

Miss Rita
01-12-2011, 12:02 AM
I know you can get a combination swivel/slider, but I don't know how you would get one that goes up and down as well. You may have to settle for the traditional throw cushion booster.

Wake2004
01-12-2011, 12:59 AM
I have always thought that it would be nice to have a swivel also but I do not think the seat will clear the side wall to be able to swivel.

dpolen
01-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Are you thinking about something like this?
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=39860&pdesc=Wise_Adjustable_Pedestal_With_Slide&aID=601C7&merchID=4006

I think it's a heck of an idea as I am always sitting on the throw cushion in my boat, never thought about buying a pedestal that raised the seat height.

2000205V
01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Are you thinking about something like this?
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=39860&pdesc=Wise_Adjustable_Pedestal_With_Slide&aID=601C7&merchID=4006

I think it's a heck of an idea as I am always sitting on the throw cushion in my boat, never thought about buying a pedestal that raised the seat height.

That's PERFECT and exactly what I had in mind!! 12" is a bit high, but I wonder if I could get it and modify to fit my needs without interfering with the lift. I used to work in a machine shop and have access to a TIG welder at home. For 109$ the price is right and would be willing to try even if it's an experiment! Thank you!

Something I was thinking about the base last night after I posted, is removing the stock fiberglass base, and replacing it with a piece of plate aluminum that sits on the floor with the same mounting points as the current base and I could possibly use the existing studs/brackets/etc and build and mount the new pedestal off that. Does anyone know how the stock base attaches to the floor? It must be more than just screwed into fiberglass?

My boat is laid up for the winter in my boathouse and access to it today is tough to take the seat apart to see. Was hoping for some warmer weather and for some of the snow to melt before venturing out there.

As far as allowing the seat to swivel, I think it can work if there is a slider. When you go to turn it it will need to be slid out slightly so the back of the seat clears the throttle and side of the boat.

Some interesting challenges ahead but I have hope I can get this worked out. I refuse to put anything on the boat that isn't 100% safe, looks stock and professional.

Thanks again, and all opinions and comments are welcomed.

ddanenberger
01-12-2011, 04:15 PM
look at garelick "http://garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=75083" this is a slide swile assemble that mount on a standard pedestal. I used it in our old Regal. Bought a 8" pedistal and cut in down to the height I wanted. The set screw lock works better than the gear type.

rydog
10-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Was going to start a new thread but found this one. I was wondering if since this thread started if anyone has attempted this or found a specific part number to accomplish this goal. I want to do this to my 2002 xstar, since like everyone else, I am constantly hanging my feet over the side arm rest. I am thinking using the existing brackets, attaching a metal plate to them and then drilling holes into the to attach the swivel mount. Any information is appreciated.

Also the concern of the chair not being able to rotate because of space. Has anyone confirmed this?

swatguy
10-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Couple things

The fiberglass seat base is in the mold. It's not removeable

In almost every smaller v drive boat with a swivel chair you always needed to slide the chair forward in most cases(me being 6ft tall) to clear the sidewall. So I think clearing the sidewall would be no problem if you kept the slide rails

I ant help ya on how to exactly accomplish that thogh