PDA

View Full Version : San Diego trip

76S&S
01-11-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm headed to San Diego for a few days next week ( work related). Any suggestions on what, not to miss, while I'm there.

Restaurant suggestions are always welcome.:D

M-Funf
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm headed to San Diego for a few days next week ( work related). Any suggestions on what, not to miss, while I'm there.

The Gaslamp district is always worth the time. Good food and drink.

76S&S
01-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks Jeff.

I'm staying at the Bayfront Hilton, which is close to the Gaslamp district (I think).

M-Funf
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks Jeff.

I'm staying at the Bayfront Hilton, which is close to the Gaslamp district (I think).

Yup. Short walk. Too bad it's not baseball season. Petco Park is almost across the street. Great ballpark.

robisjo
01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Hodads in Ocean Beach. Great burger joint.

M-Funf
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Masala Spices of India (if you like Indian food). 314 5th St.

www.masalarestaurant.com

shepherd
01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Top of the Market is good if you are on an expense account or per diem or don't mind spending some money on fine dining. It overlooks the Bay and the food and service were great when we went. http://www.thefishmarket.com/topofthemarket.aspx

If you like beer, try the Karl Strauss Brewery restaurant downtown for a good beer selection and good eats in a good location. http://www.karlstrauss.com/PAGES/Eats/Downtown.html

tex
01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Pacific Beach!

chevy08bud
01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Just don't take the early flight home from San Diego!
Hopefully you've seen Old School, or this would be meaningless.

chevy08bud
01-12-2011, 09:23 AM
We took a trip to San Diego this past June. Really enjoyed ourselves. The weather is great, and the one thing that kind of stands out that we enjoyed was Mission Beach. There is a boardwalk that you can check out that goes for miles (it's a good place to people watch), and there are restaurants, some shopping, and lots of condos along the way. The water was pretty chilly when we went, so I'm guessing that's out of the question in mid-January. Have a good trip.

shepherd
01-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I'll second Mission Beach/Pacific Beach (basically the same stretch of beach IIRC). You can rent bikes and ride along the boardwalk there for a couple miles. And if you're driving up that way, you might want to go up to La Jolla. It has a very scenic seashore, and nice art galleries and restaurants.

M-Funf
01-12-2011, 10:31 PM

I can't believe I forgot the Hotel Del Coronado...DUH!

The beach access is great, and the hotel has some great stuff going on. Don't need to be staying there, either. We parked at the hotel parking lot, had a few (well, several :rolleyes:) drinks at the bar with lunch, and then ventured out to the beach.

Great spot!

Actually, the whole island is pretty nice. Rent a bike and ride around...good stuff maynerd.

76S&S
01-13-2011, 08:12 AM
thanks for all the sugestions guys.

ggroller
01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm jealous.

If you like beer, check out Pizza Port in Solana Beach and Stone's brewpub.

Willski
01-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Coronado is cool. Cool really high bridge to get there. The del Coronado is really cool. The USS Midway tour is really well done. Zoo is nice, but it could take you all day to go through it.

Willski
01-13-2011, 11:47 AM
We also did a bike and kayak tour out of La Jolla. It was nice.

Dylan
01-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I definitely recommend a Hotel Del Coronado trip, but the rooms are small, loud and over priced. Go there for the waterfront access, and make a day/evening of it. The Gaslamp is fun for bars, I enjoy smaller areas. Check out Neighborhood bar off the beaten path, and possibly Basic Pizza next to the ballpark. Definitely visit La Jolla cove/shores, everyone loves those areas. Let me know if you have any particular questions, as I reside in San Diego.

Willski
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Yep. We didn't stay at the Coronado. We stayed at El Cordova Hotel basically across the street from there. It is worth wandering through the Del Coronado though and have a drink on the patio.

tex
01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
If you are in PB....Have a burger at Rocky's!

brucemac
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
roberto's carne asada burrito.

http://www.robertos.us/

ncsone
01-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Like most everyone else has mentioned - Mission Beach/Pac Beach, La Jolla, Gaslamp, Hotel Del Coronado. Peohe's on the east side of Coronado has been good every time I have been there. Plus, you get a view across the harbor of downtown San Diego.

I check out the USS Midway every time I am there as they are constantly opening up more of the ship to see. I think it is worth every penny to tour it. Also, check out Point Loma. If you go to the old lighthouse on the point, you can see the entire SD harbor/downtown area for a great perspective.

It is also cool to go south on Coronado to the beaches south of the Hotel del Coronado by a couple of miles. It is a great place to check out the sunset and you are practically in the middle of where the Navy SEALS train.

WildPeace
01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
You can eat find food in any city but you can not visit these except in San Diego: Cabrillo National Monument, Fort Rosecrans National Cemetary, Mt. Soledad (Before the Cross is removed), the Zoo and Balboa Park, Old Town and Torrey Pines. The whales are migrating-take a tour to see them up close!

shepherd
01-18-2011, 10:01 AM
I'll second Point Loma/Cabrillo. Awesome views of the city and harbor. We went there last October. Well worth the drive!

Why are they removing the cross from Soledad?

WildPeace
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Unconstitutional-separation of church and state issues-real unfortunate

Willski
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I think that is where our bike/kayak tour started...Mt. Soledad. Luckily it is mostly downhill from there.