PDA

View Full Version : Need help Removing Drivers Seat

woodrowskis
01-11-2011, 02:28 PM
2002 model Prostar 197, Tournament Team Edition
Any tips for disengaging the slides.
Front two screws come out easy by sliding seat backwards. Slide the seat to the front and the seat does not clear the rear screws.
I had the seat off once and it seems like after removing, I saw how to get the slides to move past the stop where you would be able to get to the rear screws. But with the 3/4" space under the seat I can't see how to do it.
I got one of the rear screws out with a bit wrench (I think only because one of the bolts, seat to slide, is broken and gave 1/2" extra space. The other side is now stripped.
Unless I can get the slides to move furthur forward to access the screw from the top, it will mean grinding the screw head off from the side.

Luv2Ski
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Model and year might be helpful so somebody with the same boat can chime in. However, likely if you take the seat bottom cushion off (just pull up on it) you should be able to remove the seat from the slides, then the slides from the boat.

woodrowskis
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I realized I left off the model,etc. last night while driving home. There is no access to the screws when removing the seat cushion. (There were holes when you pulled the seat cushion as you describe in my 1986 mastercraft.) I even decided to drill through the fiberglass bottom of the seat to have accesss but there is a piece of metal flatbar in the way. I cannot tell if it is the bottom of the seat or the top of the slide.
I still think there is a way to get the slides to allow the seat to go forward of the normal stop.

sixysixss
01-12-2011, 03:37 PM
On my 2005, those rear screws are in at an angle. If you sit in the seat and slide it forward with some force, you can usually get a little extra space in the rear. The little extra room should allow you to get a screwdriver on those screws.

woodrowskis
01-12-2011, 06:03 PM
On my 2005, those rear screws are in at an angle. If you sit in the seat and slide it forward with some force, you can usually get a little extra space in the rear. The little extra room should allow you to get a screwdriver on those screws.

With someone else pushing on the seat, you can get one of those bent screw (double 90s) drivers or a bit wrench on it, nothing that is straight. Threads are stripped now so that rules out the bent wrnech and bit driver. thanks though

billr
01-12-2011, 06:05 PM
When I replaced my slides, I used a sawzall to cut the bolts off.

vision
01-12-2011, 06:37 PM
So at the factory are they mounting the seat before the deck is attached? It seems odd that the screws for the seat mount are so difficult to remove since MC had to bolt it on initially?

east tx skier
01-12-2011, 07:50 PM
If you, for some reason, end up having to replace the slides, check out Christine's Enterprises (http://www.nautiqueskins.com/).

woodrowskis
01-13-2011, 09:08 AM
So at the factory are they mounting the seat before the deck is attached? It seems odd that the screws for the seat mount are so difficult to remove since MC had to bolt it on initially?

Not sure what they do. But screws are at an angle instead of straight down so I know it is not as easy asa it should be. There is no way to get to the bolts (seat to slide) after the slides are screwed in. I still think the slide disengages to either come apart or have more travel.

Table Rocker
01-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I still think the slide disengages to either come apart or have more travel.I took my slides off today and there is no way to bypass the stops in either direction. My slides are the stamped steel ones like in this picture, although mine are silver in color. The divots you can see in the slides are the stops.
http://www.nautiqueskins.com/image/39931831_scaled_320x240.jpg

woodrowskis
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
thanks. drilled, grinded, went through various bits, until i got the head of the screw off.

I removed the seat once before and as people said you could barely get to it. I could never with a straight screw driver but bought a bent screw driver, phillip on one end, flathead on the other that has about as much height as an allen wrench on them. Not sure why but I did not have space this time.

I'll have to see what happens when trying to put it back on.

And I will probably get new slides. From past experience with previous boat, you do not want these to rust out before you try to remove or you will not be able to slide them where you need to get to the screws.

Worthing skier
02-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi there

I do not know if your seat set up is the same as mine (1993 prostar) but to acess the 2 runner seat screws on mine I had to slide the seat forward from its rear most setting about
2 in , by doing this enabled me to get a long screw driver straight on the screw head .
I think all the runners from 1990 on were all very simalar.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Kummer
02-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Does anyone have a "howto" on this one? Seems easy till you try it - probably why billr got out the sawzaw

Worthing skier
02-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi there

What age/ model is your Mastercraft , does the seat base look the same as the picture I posted.

rgds

Kevin

Jorski
02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
On my '93...the seat is seized in place in the tracks and wouldn't move forward no matter how much penetrating oil and persuausion I tried...had to cut the rear screw heads off.

Worthing skier
02-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi

Yes mine were in the same state to start off with , so I ended up cutting through the old seat runners with a hammer and bolster to get the seat runners bending out the way so i could undo the runner to floor retainer screws .
Now the runners have plenty of lube and the seat is moved very often to stop the happening again .

Splash
02-12-2011, 02:31 PM
If you, for some reason, end up having to replace the slides, check out Christine's Enterprises (http://www.nautiqueskins.com/).

great link! Many thanks ;)

Worthing skier
02-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Thought I would give the carpet a pressure wash over the weekend , so pulled out the drivers seat out .
Only to find after 2 seasons in fresh water the seat runners were well on there way on the corrioson front.
These were supplied by my local Mastercraft dealer.
Looks like I need another set .
Surely these being in a marine enviorement should be better coated to stop this happening .

AussieMC
02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
When I first bought my 2003 197 in 2007, the first thing I noticed was the rusty water stain on the carpet, at the rear of the drivers seat. I removed the seat, tracked down some Stainless Steel seat slides, replaced them and have not had an issue since. No jambing in the slide, no rusty water running out etc.

Table Rocker
02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
The only stainless steel slides I have been able to locate are in... Australia.

Worthing skier
03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi there AussieMc

Thanks for the info re the stainless runners have you any more info on these , i.e where did you get them from.

thanks

Kevin