PDA

View Full Version : No more Solicitors!

X2M
07-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I am sick of rude people coming to my door trying to sell me their crap. A guy was at the door the other day trying to sell car cleaner. When we said no thanks he started cussing and stormed off. Now today this guy wants to me to say yes to a free home alarm if they can put a sign in my yard. No thanks, not interested. Had to tell the little $h!t three freaking times no and to get off my porch while he is telling me what an idiot I am (literally :mad: ) to pass up his offer. What is wrong with these people?!?! I am sick of it. I'm nice. I don't raise my voice, I am not rude to them or slam the door in their faces and I always politely say no thank you. I am about ready to get one of those stupid looking "No Solicitors Welcome" signs. GRRRRR.

Ok, I feel somewhat better now. Venting through for the moment. Anyone else have to deal with this?

Granite_33
07-13-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't raise my voice, I am not rude to them or slam the door in their faces Sounds like its time to start, though :mad:

MarkP
07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
I am sick of rude people coming to my door trying to sell me their crap. A guy was at the door the other day trying to sell car cleaner. When we said no thanks he started cussing and stormed off. Now today this guy wants to me to say yes to a free home alarm if they can put a sign in my yard. No thanks, not interested. Had to tell the little $h!t three freaking times no and to get off my porch while he is telling me what an idiot I am (literally :mad: ) to pass up his offer. What is wrong with these people?!?! I am sick of it. I'm nice. I don't raise my voice, I am not rude to them or slam the door in their faces and I always politely say no thank you. I am about ready to get one of those stupid looking "No Solicitors Welcome" signs. GRRRRR.

Ok, I feel somewhat better now. Venting through for the moment. Anyone else have to deal with this?
That cracks me up to hear..

Iím a stay at home dad and occasionally those door to door or telephone folks are the only or at least the first contact with grownups that I have had that day. I usually explain that to them and tell them that I donít want any THEN I keep them on the porch to shoot the breeze.

They rarely repeat the mistake of knocking on my door.;) .

Mag_Red
07-13-2005, 06:51 PM
A lot of communities reguire them to get a license to solicit in a paticular area. You could do what I do and ask them to wait quietly while you finish your (pretend) phone call. Shut and lock the door and leave them sit there :D They may eventually get the message ;)

BriEOD
07-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Nah they usually leave pretty quickly and thank me for my time when they hear the sound of the shotgun racking. :D

X2M
07-13-2005, 07:14 PM
occasionally those door to door or telephone folks are the only or at least the first contact with grownups that I have had that day.

Gee, I remember those days so well. You will talk to just about anyone over 3 feet tall. Then they get a little older and start school. And you have no one to talk to again til summer. :)

BriEOD - The sight (and sound) of my 100lbs+ pooch doesn't seem to deter them. Maybe that will. I know there is one of those around here somewhere. :D

Leroy
07-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Good one, I used to do that to telemarketers, but the do not call law took care of that problem.

A lot of communities reguire them to get a license to solicit in a paticular area. You could do what I do and ask them to wait quietly while you finish your (pretend) phone call. Shut and lock the door and leave them sit there :D They may eventually get the message ;)

rodltg2
07-13-2005, 07:19 PM
ive never had a door to door solicitor. i guess im lucky, they are probably to lazy to walk down my long driveway. i dont get trick or treaters for the same reason, but those i wouldnt mind.

jimmer2880
07-14-2005, 07:17 AM
That cracks me up to hear..

Iím a stay at home dad and occasionally those door to door or telephone folks are the only or at least the first contact with grownups that I have had that day. I usually explain that to them and tell them that I donít want any THEN I keep them on the porch to shoot the breeze.

They rarely repeat the mistake of knocking on my door.;) .

I don't care who you are, That's just funny stuff right there now!

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 11:40 AM
I usually just don't answer the door for pop ins. The people I know would've called.

As for telemarketers, I'd just tell them to hold on and put the receiver down to see how long they'd stay on the line.

One time, AMEX kept me on hold for about an hour and I recorded my own message on the old computer saying that I'd got tired of waiting and had gone to work out, but I'd appreciate if they'd wait on the line until I got back. I looped the message and set the phone next to the speakers. Jerks hung up on me by the time I returned.

phecksel
07-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Friend saw the Mormon's canvasing the neighborhood. He greeted them with a shotgun and requested a copy of their door to door permit. They said they were doing God's work and didn't require a permit. He pumped the shotgun and said God didn't need a permit, but they weren't God and needed one, please wait right here for the police. They were GONE.

I always ask to see the permit, and have never seen one. Police are usually quick to come out, especially when it's reported as suspicious activities of people casing houses :)

Ric
07-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Friend saw the Mormon's canvasing the neighborhood. He greeted them with a shotgun and requested a copy of their door to door permit. They said they were doing God's work and didn't require a permit. He pumped the shotgun and said God didn't need a permit, but they weren't God and needed one, please wait right here for the police. They were GONE.

I always ask to see the permit, and have never seen one. Police are usually quick to come out, especially when it's reported as suspicious activities of people casing houses :)

we get the meat salesmen (they crack me up the most)
last week I was messing with the boat in the garage (all sweaty and looking pissed)
he comes blasting up the drive and I startled him "whoah fella, where you think you're goin?"

before he got a word out, I pointed at his ratty pickup with the freezer in the back and said, you know that sh__ is illegal here
he babbled and said he had a permit from this morning. (they don't do that here)
I said move on pal, cop's won't be as nice as me, don't let me see you stop either.
he said, I have a permit
I moved toward him and said take your permit and haul your *** out of here
pewwwww he was gone to hassle someone a few streets over (no doubt) (I think he may have called me a few names normally only heard out of my ex wife but he was running too fast for me to hear them)

most times I don't even answer when the call but this guy was about to be in my space and I have a gut feeling half those sales routines are fronts to see who's home at certain times, dogs?, alarms? and what kinda stuff they have for future reference....
That's why me and meat boy met halfway down the drive before he saw an mc and a ton of cash and carry ski stuff ;)

WakeSeeky
07-14-2005, 01:01 PM
I no longer answer the door unless I know for certain who it is. Had a weird/scary experience a few years back when I was home alone and answered the door. I'm convinced my scaredy-cat dog with his big, mean-sounding bark saved me some grief that day. My husband's welcome to answer the door or not, at least they'll know there's a man around. But honestly, the only people who come to the door unexpectedly are people who, at best, are going to waste my time. Even the neighbors call if they want to chat and we're not outside! So I figure, why take the risk that it is someone up to no good?

X2M
07-14-2005, 01:22 PM
If I am home alone and it is during school time, I don't answer the door. But during the summer when the kids are out of school my house seems to be the local hangout for the kids in the neighborhood. Which is a good thing since I can keep a better eye on mine. So my door bell sees alot of action. Yesterday the girls got to the door before I did. So I couldn't "screen" the person at the door.

From now on though I think I will not be speaking to any more solicitors and just shutting the door in their faces.

WilliamsFamLV
07-14-2005, 01:27 PM
I would WakeSeeky would agree, but when it is 113 degrees out we don' see too many door to door. :woohoo:

WakeSeeky
07-14-2005, 04:49 PM
X2Momma, yeah, I can see how with kids it would be different, especially with friends coming over. Too bad you can't teach them a "secret knock". ;)

WilliamsFamLV, boy that's for sure. Little heat sure thins 'em out, doesn't it? Wussies. :D

Ryan
07-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Mormon missionaries are some of the coolest people I've met. In our area you only have to have a permit to sell, not necessarily go door to door.

We live around a lot of gated communities so all of us downtown by the beach get hit often. Teenagers selling newspapers and subscriptions are the worste, at least twice a week. They are freekin' persistent!
- "Can you help me go to college?"
- "Well I already subscribe to that newspaper."
- "But Sir, I only have to get two more subscriptions and I can get up to $500." Blah Blah Blah
The paper doesn't support the program. I always talk to them about good grades, scholarships and a real job will being beneficial than a possible $500.

milkmania
07-18-2005, 02:07 AM
the last time my wife didn't answer the door for the UPS delivery person, he left the package and took a whiz in the yard.

it seemed like I got 6 phone calls from various regional managers after UPS got my email.

What Can Brown Do For You?:purplaugh

erkoehler
07-18-2005, 02:21 AM
We really don't get too much in the way of door-to-door guys in my neighborhood.

Every couple months one might drop by. Thats why the doorbell is disconnected! If the neighbors need me they know to call/knock/and some come right in! :D