PDA

View Full Version : Drain Plug Hole Stripped

cmarty123
01-10-2011, 06:34 PM
I have a 95 Maristar. The female thread on the engine block is stripped where the knock sensor is installed. Any advice on how to rethread? Should I install a helicoil? It looks like I only have about 7 in. to get a drill and bit in there. Do I need to use a right angle drill and a short bit?

I searched the site and did not find anything about this. I would have thought I would have seen this same scenario as it seems like a bad design. After the knock sensor is removed for the season, condensation will sit on the threads and corrode them. After 15 years of this, the threads finally gave out. Thanks

Slinkyredfoot
01-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Is it actually stripped or are the threads just real rusty? I thought I had a stripped hole on my block but realized the threads were crudded up so bad they just needed to be re threaded which I did. I was lucky.

Typically the threads can be chased with an NPT (National Pipe Thread) tap, depending on the size to clean up the rusty threads, probably 1/4" or 3/8 NPT. Be careful and take it easy when you start, spray WD or some other rust stuff in the threads and let set for a bit. Screw the tap in easily to see if it takes, if it does, keep turning a bit at a time and the back the tap out, spray more douch and keep threading it in and backing the tap out.

I am not saying this will cure your ills but it just might clean the threads up for you. Maybe worth a try.

As always, as I have learned, whenever your take a water plug out anywhere to drain, lube your plug up with pipe dope before re inserting. ;)

CantRepeat
01-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I agree with slinky. The first thing I'd do is get a bottom tap and chase the threads by hand at first.

oldairboater
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Chase the treads first before anything else. I would be doing this every season and be anti-seizing the threads.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
I would not use pipe dope on the knock sensor threads as it could cause the sensor not to read correctly, just use a good anti-seize lube.