I hate people who steal!

stevo137
07-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Sorry to hear it Pirate. :mad:
It's damn tough out there.
Did you have anything backed up?

betsy&david Harrison
07-13-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd be fuming! Amazing how many lowlifes are actually out there.

3event
07-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Laptops are hot. I've been lucky so far. But I have a "colleague" who actually packed his laptop in checked baggage (brand new Dell). After it disappeared enroute he told his boss he always did that ! He doesn't do it anymore. Another guy I know had his disappear from the x-ray machine belt at OHare in Chicago. He had left the checkpoint without remembering to grab it ! He got no help, but 2 weeks later OHare called him and told him they found it. Unreal.

At least you can't blame yourself on this one!

stevo137
07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
The locks work great. You can lock them to the seat frame or when traveling I always lock mine to the toilet in the hotel room.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-13-2005, 12:19 PM
IBM now has finger print scanners built into their laptops. I saw one a week ago, completely useless to anyone but the owner of the finger for scanning. Neat, but is it "BIG BROTHER" watching you?!!?

Sorry to hear about the lowlife SOB experience. Keep your eye on the "auction sites" you may get lucky and find the SOB.

LakePirate
07-13-2005, 02:55 PM
It is a common thing down here, they hit in spurts I was the 3rd person to report one from last night...and that was at 8:30 a.m.

Leroy
07-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Did you have password logon set?

I've never tried it, but seems like there should be a way to track down the MAC address or some other ID inside the PC if someone connects it to the internet.

BriEOD
07-13-2005, 04:00 PM
The locks work great. You can lock them to the seat frame or when traveling I always lock mine to the toilet in the hotel room.

Is that where you do your best work? :purplaugh

Bobby
07-14-2005, 12:17 AM
When I first had my K5 with the top off, someone stole the CD player that was in there. Joke was on them because it didn't work and I had my new one in my house waiting to be installed, so they basically uninstalled my old one for free.

jimmer2880
07-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Bobby - wish I had your kind of luck.

LakePirate
07-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Sorry to hear about this. Did you have password logon set?

I've never tried it, but seems like there should be a way to track down the MAC address or some other ID inside the PC if someone connects it to the internet.

Didn't really think about the mac-address deal, that would make sense. I had it password protected, the only thing they can do is put another OS on it, unless they have that hacking software.

Fortunatly it was a dell and they track the service tags for you so if anybody every tries to get service on it they will call the cops.

So I might be able to get it back one day, I doubt it. But the new laptop is already ordered and is going to be bad a$$.

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that. Although this doesn't help with data recovery, I'd check to see if it's covered under your HO policy if not your car ins. policy.

LakePirate
07-14-2005, 10:31 AM
It is a company laptop but I still will have to file a claim on my homeowners. I just want the data back.

BriEOD
07-14-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that. Although this doesn't help with data recovery, I'd check to see if it's covered under your HO policy if not your car ins. policy.

I love you Dougy but your nuts if you would claim this on your HO. Anyone living anywhere near a Hurricane prone area is just asking to get cancelled by claiming something minor. I realize it's a 1-2K$ machine but I'd be very wary of claiming this on my HO. Auto, yeah I'd look into that.

LakePirate
07-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I will definatly discuss this with my agent before doing anything. I don't know if we would be considered part of the hurricane prone area. Now high winds/pine trees falling area I would agree with

BriEOD
07-14-2005, 10:54 AM
James look at Atlanta or Richmond a year or two ago.

AirJunky
07-14-2005, 11:00 AM
.................. but seems like there should be a way to track down the MAC address or some other ID inside the PC if someone connects it to the internet.
Cool idea. But I think it would only work if it was connected DIRECTLY to the net. If it was connected to any private network, the mac wouldn't be published past the router.

tex
07-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Just to thread jack a little-A couple of years ago, someone stole my prescription ray ban sunglasses. I was more pissed knowing that the hole would not be able to use them!

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I hear you. I'm just saying look into it. Gotta love insurance. I shudder to think about how much we all shell out per year on the stuff. Yet we're all terrified to make claims on it for fear that our policy will be cancelled or our premiums will increase. What a racket.

As for hurricanes, I don't worry about them anymore. I rode one out in Houston (Alicia '82). I'm a good 250--300 miles from the gulf coast now.

Ric
07-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Just to thread jack a little-A couple of years ago, someone stole my prescription ray ban sunglasses. I was more pissed knowing that the hole would not be able to use them!
Hate to hear it pirate but I consider anything I leave in my car a pure gamble anymore.
cop buddy of mine has an unmarked car and of all people he would leave all his gear in the car
they stole his car and when the car was found, he was out a shotgun, two raid vests, laptop, pistol and cell phone.
he caught hell from us because he is security at his own gated apt complex but you KNOW he caught hell from his colleagues.

Ric
07-14-2005, 11:38 AM
As for hurricanes, I don't worry about them anymore. I rode one out in Houston (Alicia '82). I'm a good 250--300 miles from the gulf coast now.
WE ARE DUE :o

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I think Allison bought h-town a few years, but you're right. We dodged the bullet in 1988 with Hurricane Gilbert, too.

jraben8
07-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I have a bad feeling about Emily coming after seeing how far south of Cuba it is tracking ...

Ric
07-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I think Allison bought h-town a few years, but you're right. We dodged the bullet in 1988 with Hurricane Gilbert, too.
That one provided us some good surfing as the island was being evacuated

-

THREAD OFFICIALLY JACKED :eek:

east tx skier
07-14-2005, 11:52 AM
My sister was getting married outdoors that weekend, so she was relieved that it changed course. Of course, hurricanes are no win situations. They're always going to hit somewhere. So it's hard to feel good about them not hitting you. I think Gilbert killed some 225 people in the Yucatan, then circled around and hit MX twice more.

6ballsisall
07-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Sorry to hear the news, that really sucks!

Here is an email I received a month or so ago.

Advanced technology in mobile phones is behind a steep rise in vehicle crime.

Thieves are using new 'blue-tooth' phones to detect whether motorists have left mobiles or laptops in their cars. The 'blue-tooth' facility enables thieves to locate compatible electrical items - even if they are hidden away in a boot or glove compartment.

The new technology is allowing criminals to selectively steal from cars with expensive laptops and mobile phones which also have 'blue-tooth' facilities.

The thieves are using the same technology that allows mobile phone users to send pictures and clips to their friends, as well as free test messages to strangers with compatible 'blue-tooth' phones. This type of thing has been around for the last six months but it's getting worse. Anyone with a laptop do not leave it in their car and that if they do they must make sure it's switched off, particularly if it's a 'blue-tooth' device'.

The technology now exists which allows criminals to identify out-of-view laptops and mobile phones in vehicles and selectively break in to steal them.

If they do not switch them off completely, and leave them on standby, there is a good chance they will be stolen.

The thieves have been targeting busy shopping districts where they can take their pick of cars parked by shoppers.

If they pass a car with 'blue-tooth' electrical items, a signal will appear on the screen of the thief's mobile device, displaying the make or model of the valuables inside.

Please be aware and secure valuables!!

Corporal David S. Boiman
Crime Prevention Officer
Hamilton County Sheriff's Office
District # 5/ Anderson Township
Office - 513-474-5770
Fax - 513-474-9126

BriEOD
07-14-2005, 12:54 PM

I'm sure all those people in Atlanta were thinking the same thing this past weekend. " Awww, you know Bob it's going to hit the panhandle of Florida, we've got nothing to worry about."

LakePirate
07-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Alright this is my first post with the new lap top
And I have to say it is bad AZZ
I am fully prepared for Erlke to buy a new boat.

Now if I could just find that data.....

east tx skier
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm sure all those people in Atlanta were thinking the same thing this past weekend. " Awww, you know Bob it's going to hit the panhandle of Florida, we've got nothing to worry about."

My mom and step-father split time in the Yucatan and are down there right now. Emily passed to their north. They are far enough inland that, according to her, they got .5" of rain by the guage and some light winds. They were spared the worst of it unlike with Isadore 3 years ago (Isadore came in from the north and got 'em).