PDA

View Full Version : Empower the Moderators

JLeuck64
01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Hey MC,
Why don't you give the Moderators a little empowerment with this forum???

It seems the Spammers have really gotten a hold of this forum over the past week and it also seems our mods are being overworked... perhaps even losing sleep trying to keep up, hmmm?
J

trickskier
01-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Well Said!!!

TX.X-30 fan
01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
I disagree with giving the random mod all the tools of an admin in vbul, its very simple the site owner and admin simply needs to verify new members. Go back to using hull #'s.

TX.X-30 fan
01-09-2011, 03:29 PM
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
how to make ***** bigger (http://www.howtomake*****biggernow.net/)

The link is broken..........................:D

JLeuck64
01-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I disagree with giving the random mod all the tools of an admin in vbul, its very simple the site owner and admin simply needs to verify new members. Go back to using hull #'s.

Well then...
If it is so simple as you say, I would have to ask for a vote of no confidence in the leadership of this forum. They have not been adequate in it's administration in my opinion!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-09-2011, 05:06 PM
How soon we forget. It wasn't that long ago that we were all worked up over a Mod that had too much power. This spam situation is clearly out of hand, and we all agree that our Mods need better tools to cut these spammers off at the knees, however, ultimate power for Mods isn't necessarily the answer. That said, it would appear that there needs to be a system where our Mods can get help from the powers that be in a much more timely manner.

TX.X-30 fan
01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
How soon we forget. It wasn't that long ago that we were all worked up over a Mod that had too much power. This spam situation is clearly out of hand, and we all agree that our Mods need better tools to cut these spammers off at the knees, however, ultimate power for Mods isn't necessarily the answer. That said, it would appear that there needs to be a system where our Mods can get help from the powers that be in a much more timely manner.

Great post Senior...........

thatsmrmastercraft
01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Great post Senior...........

Thank you, thank you very much.

JLeuck64
01-09-2011, 06:43 PM
On the contrary... I haven't forgotten a darn thing since joining team talk. Seen the normal cycles that happen too... a lot!

This recent surge is not normal....

Cmon admin, do something!

atlfootr
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
If YOU want something done, step up and offer to BECOME A MOD!
I've been there, done that and didn't always get the assistance needed to ban these ppl and keep them out :mad:
I wash my hands of the situation ... next topic.

JLeuck64
01-09-2011, 08:41 PM
If YOU want something done, step up and offer to BECOME A MOD!
I've been there, done that and didn't always get the assistance needed to ban these ppl and keep them out :mad:
I wash my hands of the situation ... next topic.

Exactly!

Not trying to bash on any one here, especially you guys that have spent time in the trenches fighting the good fight.

Just want admin to notice the trend of lately and give the mods a LITTLE more tools to do their job effectively.

After all this is supposedly an easy problem to fix right? So, let's fix it! (or get somebody who can... cuz I don't have the ability and I'll admit that straight up!)

DooSPX
01-12-2011, 09:04 AM
The MODS have no power or control over the spam, only to delete the post and ban the user. That does not do anything, for every 1, there are 3 more.
It is the ADMINS job to control this site.... I think JohnE and the other mods are doing their best for what they have the power to do.

scott023
01-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Missed this post... very well stated TMM.

scott023
01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
The MODS have no power or control over the spam, only to delete the post and ban the user. That does not do anything, for every 1, there are 3 more.
It is the ADMINS job to control this site.... I think JohnE and the other mods are doing their best for what they have the power to do.

I am 100% sure you are correct. Also, I don't think the mods, who volunteer to do the mod work here, should have to continue to chase around after these spammers.

TTAdmin, where are you?

JohnE
01-12-2011, 10:10 AM

We were (me included) all worked up over a mod not that long ago. The issue wasn't and isn't (IMO) about a mod having too much power - it's about what a mod does with that power. Personally I don't do anything other than ban spammers. The problem with said mod was that he was trying to tailor this site to his taste - that's not our job. The one thing we can't control as a mod is who can sign up. I can ban and delete till my heart's content. But it would be more effective if I could simply verify that members were real people.

JohnE
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I am 100% sure you are correct. Also, I don't think the mods, who volunteer to do the mod work here, should have to continue to chase around after these spammers.

TTAdmin, where are you?

I will say this. I don't mind doing it but it is getting to the point where I don't have enough time to keep up. I probably should be banning rather than posting right now.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
We were (me included) all worked up over a mod not that long ago. The issue wasn't and isn't (IMO) about a mod having too much power - it's about what a mod does with that power. Personally I don't do anything other than ban spammers. The problem with said mod was that he was trying to tailor this site to his taste - that's not our job. The one thing we can't control as a mod is who can sign up. I can ban and delete till my heart's content. But it would be more effective if I could simply verify that members were real people.

I hope you didn't take my comment as denegrating the caliber of any of the Mods in place now. I think TT has been served well since the last issue. My point was that there must be some limitations in place that are keeping this forum from being capable of stopping the over-run of spam, and that whoever is in charge of those levels of controls (assuming TTAdmin) needs to step up to the plate and stop the spam now.

JohnE
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I hope you didn't take my comment as denegrating the caliber of any of the Mods in place now. I think TT has been served well since the last issue. My point was that there must be some limitations in place that are keeping this forum from being capable of stopping the over-run of spam, and that whoever is in charge of those levels of controls (assuming TTAdmin) needs to step up to the plate and stop the spam now.

No I didn't take offense at all with your comments. I actually agree with them. My point was that as a mod I already have enough 'power' to ruin the forum. I just wish something would be done to prevent spammers from registering. From January 1 till Monday there were 351 new members of which almost all were spammers. Most haven't posted. I don't have the time to run through all of them and ban them. I can't even keep up with the ones posting.

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 11:01 AM
No I didn't take offense at all with your comments. I actually agree with them. My point was that as a mod I already have enough 'power' to ruin the forum. I just wish something would be done to prevent spammers from registering. From January 1 till Monday there were 351 new members of which almost all were spammers. Most haven't posted. I don't have the time to run through all of them and ban them. I can't even keep up with the ones posting.

You and the other mods did all you could.

No one could expect any of you to keep up with a non-stop completely automated spamming bot network. It just doesn't happen.

Thanks for the efforts, they did not go unnoticed.

JohnE
01-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks Tim.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
You and the other mods did all you could.

No one could expect any of you to keep up with a non-stop completely automated spamming bot network. It just doesn't happen.

Thanks for the efforts, they did not go unnoticed.

Very well said.

JimN
01-12-2011, 11:19 AM

I was under the impression that someone who has experience with administering this kind of forum had suggested ways to keep the spam to a minimum. The forum where he's a member and possibly an admin has had no issues with this, from what I have seen.

scott023
01-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I was under the impression that someone who has experience with administering this kind of forum had suggested ways to keep the spam to a minimum. The forum where he's a member and possibly an admin has had no issues with this, from what I have seen.

Our form has no issues with this... I know for a fact that there are members here that could EASILY help resolve the problem, there just has to be a willingness to listen.

SkiDog
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM

SkiDog
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat
I'm not sure what version TT is running but even 3.8 has the question and answer verification system in it. Also, if the board is running a version that is that old and doesn't have it, I'd gladly pay the $175 bucks to upgrade!
We have a guy on another forum thats already made all kinds of suggestions to the admin people here, and it appears that they just don't wanna take a suggestion from anybody, who MIGHT just know a little bit more about a VB forum than they do! So if thats the case, just let the spammers run wild, as they are doing NOW!

SkiDog
01-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Looks like the problem MIGHT have been solved. I think admin has implemented some changes as of a few minutes ago.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::

mdskier
01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
At the very least, Captcha should be used on the registration page to be certain automated tools are not registering. I bet 100% of those new registrations are not people but are bots.

scott023
01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Looks like the problem MIGHT have been solved. I think admin has implemented some changes as of a few minutes ago.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::

:hi5: :hi5: :hi5:

CantRepeat
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
At the very least, Captcha should be used on the registration page to be certain automated tools are not registering. I bet 100% of those new registrations are not people but are bots.

CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA have been completely compromised as of about 2 weeks ago. :( For now, question answer verification seems to be doing the trick but I would bet the bot network will put a ton of resources into figuring something out. It might take a month, a year, or even longer but it will get compromised as well. :(

There's a ton of highly skilled paid hosting companies out there that have full time IT folks that do nothing but chase this stuff down. For such a large company to have a completely volunteer staff and expect them to dedicate the amount of time needed to run this site seems, well, poorly thought out.

The good news? We should be ok for a bit now.

JLeuck64
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Ok then...

I try to write simply and to the point yet some always read more into it for some reason.

Thanks to all who worked through this problem! Many of us are truly grateful for your efforts.
J