PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood strainer

Worthing skier
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I put a Sherwood strainer kit on my 1993 Prostar 2 years ago as our lake has a weed issue and need to clean the strainer bowl every time we use the boat .
After 10-15 times of removing the bowl it started to become tight to remove and refit , I just couped with this until the end of that season , then sent it back to the supplier who changed it under their warranty .
I thought that was the end of the issue however same happened last season , the bowl is very tight to undo an do up .
I am very careful not to cross thread it and only tighten it enough to nip the seal , I have checked the threads for any dirt and applied a light coat of syclone to aid it .
I cannot see that the supplier would supply 2 faulty kits and I would not expect him to replace it again under warranty.
Has any one else had a simalar problem , am I doing something wrong , what strainers is everyone using .

Many thanks

Kevin

jimmer2880
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I've had that strainer for the past 9 years. Although, I only end up dumping mine about 6 times a season, I've never had a problem. Every now and then, it's really tight and I need to get my strainer wrench to get it off. But, most of the time, I only need to use my hands.

Worthing skier
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi

I think this is the same as mine is doing , may be this is just the way they are after a bit of use and trying to undo and do it up with wet hands does not help .
However I like things to work as new .
Anyway I think I have found a way to ease the threads on it , i have applied some fine engine valve grinding paste to the threaded area and worked the bowl on and of loads of times then washed off the excess paste , the bowl now screws on as new .

Well worth doing .

Kevin

Skipper
01-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, the strainer can be difficult to remove. I apply a little water proof grease each time I remove the strainer. Helps a bit.